Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber FlaFireGator's Avatar

Thumbs down (Pat-cheat-ots) Poor sportsmanship?

Is it me or what?

I have never seen such poor sportsmanship than I have watching the Patriots these last couple of weeks.

Never have I seen a team run up the score when the game is obviously out of reach. To throw touchdown passes in the last minute, go for it on fourth and one, when you are up by 30+ points with a minute to go is totally classless.

For example: my team the Cowboys played the Giants two weeks ago. They were comfortably ahead with a few minutes left in the game. They choose to run the ball and run out the clock rather than try to score a few more meaningless points and run up the score.

I know...I have heard the arguements that it is up to the other teams to stop them... but come on...up by all those points and going for more is demonstrating poor sportsmanship.

Bill Belechick sucks. It is no wonder nobody likes him (outside of NE). If the Patriots players don't watch it...the nation will turn on them in general also. You can hear it now..the country talking about what poor sports the team has become.

What does everyone one else think about this. Go COWBOYS!!!

wah wah wah boo boo hoo...

The NFL isn't like pee wee football, where there is a "mercy rule"....

go back to watching "Friday Night Lights"...
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-21-2007 at 01:12 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I agree with Gonzo.....You may not like them but they can play football. At the beginning of the season it was cheat this and cheat that, now they are just stomping a mud hole in anyone that comes near them. I love it. GO Vikings!
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

No, it's not just you. There are plenty of other whiny cry-babies out there. It's the NFL there is no such thing as "out-of-reach" there is at least two games where a team has come back from a 30 point deficit and WON! If you want good sportsmanship how about tell the other teams DEFENSE to man the F up and stop the Pat's offensive. These players are professionals they each have a job to do, the Pat's are just doing there's better than anybody else. I'm not a Pat's fan, not really a pro-ball fan but I have enjoyed watching such a talented team play.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaFireGator View Post
    I know...I have heard the arguements that it is up to the other teams to stop them... but come on...up by all those points and going for more is demonstrating poor sportsmanship.
    One man's "sportsmanship" is another man's "point shaving." The objective of the game is to put as many points on the scoreboard as possible; not "just enough" points to win.

You're mistaking NFL football for a "sport." It's not a sport, it's a multi-million dollar business. And, in business, there is no "sportsmanship."

As someone already pointed out, we're talking about the NFL -- not Pee-Wee football.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

The firegator's mentality is permeating kid's sports..

"let's not keep score, it harms the children's self-esteem"

Bullscat. While mommy and daddy and some of the "coaches" are afraid of hurting a kid's feelings.. they know the score and who won and lost.

There are winners, whiners and losers in anything and everything. That's life.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

You want to stop the Patriot's from "running up the score", or "cheating", stop them from scoring.

I personally like what the Patriots are doing. They are winning football games, and ensuring that they don't give the momentum back to an opponent.

I am, in case you missed it, in no way a Patriot's fan. As such, I am an objective opinion holder on this topic. It could be very easy for me to criticize them for what they are doing, especially since my team could face them if they make the Super Bowl. I just like the way they play the game. Linebackers playing fullback, corner backs playing wide receiver, previous troublemakers getting their heads screwed on straight, so the team can win.

Sorry, I like what the Pat's are doing. I just hope that my teams defense can stop them, if they face each other.

Again, Gonzo hit it on the head. This is whats wrong with the whole world today. Since when did it become illegal to hurt somones feelings?? Take Imus for example....He did his job at being a comedian and hurt some poor souls feelings, in turn, there was a media outcry. The people he was commenting on finally decided, "hey, I think that hurt my feelings" and bam, Imus is without a job. Screw them. You will never be anyone in this world if you are scared to hurt somones feelings or **** someone off. You'll never be able to make everyone happy. Man up, take your knocks, get on with life and you will succede. If not, you will always be in somones shadow and not your own person.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I'm not a Patriots fan either, but that's professional sports for you. These guys aren't being paid millions of dollars a year to coast for the last quarter. It's the defense's job to stop them from scoring. Sounds to me like maybe their opponents are guilty as well...hey, we're 30 points behind, no chance of winning this one, so they phone it in for the last few minutes and get steamrolled. Tough cookies, if they can't hang they shouldn't be out there.

The NFL is a business....they're paid to perform, not to play nice.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

The Pats are like an unstoppable freight train this season....can anyone say unbeaten? Roosevelt is on injured reserve now but they just activated Troy Brown.
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Default Last week's game not included

New Patriots Rules in Effect

In order to address the complaints and hurt feelings of the rest of the NFL, the commissioner has adopted 10 new "Special Rules" for all New England Patriots games. They take effect immediately, and are as follows:

Special Rules for the Patriots :

1) In the course of an NFL game, if the Patriots go up by more than 31 points, they are not allowed to play offense until the opposing team draws to within one score. (Pats will kick-off after an opposing team's touchdown or FG). Once the team is within one score, the Pats offense may play, but Tom Brady may not, unless:

the Pats play with 8 players (including Tom), or the Pats play with 9 players, but 1 player for the Patriots is chosen by the opposing team from the stands. no Patriots linebacker is allowed to play offense, unless that LB is inserted at quarterback. However, Mike Vrabel cannot be quarterback.

2) If an opposing player states "It's like were playing 7-on-5s" (7 offense, 5 defense during practice), such as indicated by Justin Smith, DE, Cincinnati Bengals 10/1/07, the Patriots must take a time out and serve ice cold lemonade or hot tea (weather dependent) to the opposing team. Scones are optional.

3) Once the 31 pt rule is in effect, Patriots may challenge any play, but the opposing team gets veto power over the referee.

4) Once the Pats offense is allowed back onto the field (7 pts), for any forward pass the Pats QB must point to the receiver and call out his number BEFORE passing. If Tom Brady is quarterbacking at the time, he must do that, plus turn the opposing team's water cooler into wine BEFORE passing.

5) Belichick must diagram any Patriots play to the opposing defense and ensure they understand exactly how to disrupt the play. This all must be done within the play clock. If this process is not complete prior to the play clock expiring, the Patriots will be assessed a delay of game and double unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

6) Randy Moss must play with 10lb ankle weights on each ankle. An additional pound will be added for each TD this season.

7) Wes Welker is not allowed to have "that crazy look" in his eyes. 10 yd, "crazy eyes" penalty assessed.

8) Tom Brady must immediately stop dating supermodels as he will not be allowed to date anyone that is more attractive then the least attractive significant other of an opposing team member (including coaches). He also must start doing commercials for every product imaginable, especially ones where he chants "cut that meat!"or refers to himself "as a 6'5" quarterback with a laser-rocket arm"

9) Bill Belichick is not allowed to be within 100 yds of any infant, for fear that his evil supergenius powers would assimilate such a defenseless creature into the Patriots System. We have already seen this effect on an inordinate amount of chipmunks, squirrels, and 'possum that commit suicide while crossing Rte 1 to reach Gillette Stadium.

10) Patriots must respect all opposing players feelings and apologize for every first down. Touchdowns must be followed by a written apology and a fruit basket presented with a hug.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Default and further more..Florida vs...because your avatar is the Gator

2007--
    Western Kentucky W(49-3)
    Troy W(59-31)
    Tennessee W(59-20)
    Vanderbilt W(49-22)
    S Carolina W(51-31)
    Florida Atlantic W(59-20)
    Florida State W(45-12)

2006--
    Central Florida 42-0
    Western Carolina 62-0

Should I keep going or stop now?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

Its funny hearing from a Dallas fan about sportsmanship!
    I'm with Gonzo, go watch Pee-Wee ball.

Better yet go watch baton twirling (no offense to any cheerleaders) at a "new age early human development socialization camp" where everything is roses! You know the thing they used to call school that the rich liberals started so their kids didn't get traumatized by history class!

Though I must add that I could do without the End Zone antics from all teams. These *********$ get paid milions of dollars to catch the ball, and they act like its a freaking miracle!!
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 11-28-2007 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead90 View Post
    The Pats are like an unstoppable freight train this season....can anyone say unbeaten? Roosevelt is on injured reserve now but they just activated Troy Brown.

Nah, they're very beatable. Every team in the NFL is beatable. The Eagles showed that the other night. That's part of what I like about what the Pats are doing.
    They never coast, they never play prevent, they keep scoring to keep the pressure on. I have never been a fan of the prevent, or running the clock down.
    Put another touchdown up instead of a field goal, throw the ball on fourth and one instead of running, I could go on.

It drives me nuts when teams coast with a lead. The Pats play like they want to win, and funny thing is, they win.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Nah, they're very beatable. Every team in the NFL is beatable. The Eagles showed that the other night. That's part of what I like about what the Pats are doing.
    They never coast, they never play prevent, they keep scoring to keep the pressure on. I have never been a fan of the prevent, or running the clock down.
    Put another touchdown up instead of a field goal, throw the ball on fourth and one instead of running, I could go on.

It drives me nuts when teams coast with a lead. The Pats play like they want to win, and funny thing is, they win.
    The Green Bay Packers are having an amazing turnaround. Our administrative assistant is a Packers fan, she's in 7th heaven!

By the same token, there are a couple of Dolphin fans on my FD who are in need of comfort and sympathy....
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    The Green Bay Packers are having an amazing turnaround. Our administrative assistant is a Packers fan, she's in 7th heaven!

We're all eagerly waiting for tomorrow night, too.
    By the same token, there are a couple of Dolphin fans on my FD who are in need of comfort and sympathy....
    How ironic, would this season be if the Pats win out, and the Dolphins lose out?

Hey, if the Detroit Lions can come back and score 34 points in the fourth quarter against Chicago, as they did earlier this year, then anyone can do it!

Run it up, Pats!

MembersZone Subscriber FlaFireGator's Avatar

Default Wow

I didn't mean to stir up such a hornets nest! I am a big fan of football, I can't remember a Saturday or Sunday in my life 40+ years that I didn't watch at least one game.

My point I was trying to make...was, that I am all for scoring on each and every time my team has the football and hopefully it is a touchdown and not a silly field goal...but when the score is out of reach and there is less than one minute to play and by taking a knee and running out the clock the game is over there is no need to throw the ball and score.

There must be some reason why every other team ( I can't think of any other) does this. Run out the clock and be content with your 30 + victory. I know Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long (those big sissies) and others have made the same or similar points.

So I guess I would say for 59:10 bring it on and score. If your up by thirty points, you have the ball, the other team has no time outs...do the "right" thing and have the quarterback take a knee. Can't imagine what the fans would say if the star quarterback, running back, receiver were injured and lost for the season trying to score in such a situation.

Anyway, I was not trying to create a bunch of young sissies and corrupting the sporting youth of our country. Nobody hates losing more that I do.

Some of the above post remind me of one of our crusty old engineers when I first started in the fire service 20+ years ago. He called us a bunch of wimps, sissies (and much worse) just because we wore SCBA's and nomex hoods at structure fires.

So with all that said...keep the posts coming. They have been fun to read.

Go Cowboys...looked great last night against the Packers!!!

All this talk about unbeaten will end when the Patriots play the Steelers this weekend. You know, I'd say that with all sincerity if the Steelers hadn't lost to the Jets.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Quote Originally Posted by kprsn1 View Post
    All this talk about unbeaten will end when the Patriots play the Steelers this weekend. You know, I'd say that with all sincerity if the Steelers hadn't lost to the Jets.
    Yah... about that.....

How do you like your crow?

There was bad weather in Foxborough, so we "grounded" the Jets.

Next on the agenda...dominating the Dolphins!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 12-19-2007 at 08:14 AM.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information