Casimer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Denver DRCOG Nov 5 test

I recieved a 82 on my test and 70 was the min, so what now? Do I just wait for departments to call me or do I have to start contacing FDs? I am from MI and just want to be clear on how this works. Anyone know what departments are hiring and the good and bad about the FDs. Thanks for any info.

Forum Member

Don't contact anyone. If you qualified for the list agencies will draw from the pool to select candidates they want to interview.

Are you an EMT?
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Casimer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Don't contact anyone. If you qualified for the list agencies will draw from the pool to select candidates they want to interview.

Are you an EMT?
    Yes,
    FF I / II MI
    EMT-P
    4 yrs vol.
    haz. opps
    work @hospital in er
    work for private EMS

Forum Member

Message Deleted.
    Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008 at 06:27 PM.

Casimer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CMCM49 View Post
    Well actually....
    I was at that same test, on the same day. If you paid attention, you would have heard the head proctor tell us that we should write letters of interest to departments we're seeking employment with. She told us right before we were allowed to "open your books, and begin."

Seemed bizarre to me, but it's what they told us to do.
    Yes my ears were on that day, but from my understanding thats what the test is supposed to do u test the fds ck ur score and certs and contact u. There is a fine line between being interested in a job and annoying the depts. If every one who tested called every fd it would be a big answering machine. I am from out of state and just wanted some info on if I should wait a period of time to hear or start calling. So in u have anyinfo on the waiting period please share the info. This is my first drcog and I am looking for info from others that have used and hired from the test before.

Forum Member

CASIMER
    You do not need to call the departments on the list. I mean you can if you want to, but I don't think its necessary. If there is one that you are interested in, then send them a letter expressing your interest. They will most likely reply and tell you when they are hiring next or if they are not hiring at this time. Most of these departments hire every year. Look for letters in the spring time and fall from a couple of the departments. As you get more certs keep updating your file. Hope that helps a little bit. Ask and I will try help if you need more info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Casimer View Post
    Yes my ears were on that day, but from my understanding thats what the test is supposed to do u test the fds ck ur score and certs and contact u. There is a fine line between being interested in a job and annoying the depts. If every one who tested called every fd it would be a big answering machine. I am from out of state and just wanted some info on if I should wait a period of time to hear or start calling. So in u have anyinfo on the waiting period please share the info. This is my first drcog and I am looking for info from others that have used and hired from the test before.
    82 that is pretty good I tested oct of 06 and I was told not to send out info by some people and to send by some people. So what I did I sent out letters of interest to every department and in return I recivied letters back from about half stating we will contact you when we are hirring. So you make the choice.
    How it went for the rest of the year, I started to get letters when the departments were hirring. Then for some you have to go back out there and test again, then back again for the agility and back again for the interview for that department. Not all were like that some did phone interviews, some did all three steps in a week or weekend.
    You have luck on your side with a score of 82 and emt-p you should get a lot of letters. Also last year was a slow year for hirring so this year should be good.
    GOOD LUCK!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Caismer,

I know the whole DRCOG thing may seem a bit strange, and I would have to agree with you that it doesn't always seem to make sense. The best advice I can give you is to find the departments that use the DRCOG and then find which ones you would like to work for and then send letters of interest to them saying that you just took the DRCOG and give them your score with your qualifications. I know this may seem like a big pain in the but and it is I know but it is definitely worth the time for a career that could last you a long time. Your score of 82 with a EMT-P behind your name should be sufficient. I know when I took the test a couple years back 90 was the cut off to determine whether or not you where going to get a letter to test for agencies, but then again I was only an EMT-B. There are plenty of great departments to work for in the Denver Metro area all pay very well and they treat you well too. The citizens are very kind to firefighters out here as well, I couldn't think of working anywhere else. If I were you I would look into the Littleton fire department they are an ALS agency and a great group of guys. I just had a friend who was hired on as a lateral and I just went through an academy with a guy from Littleton and they are both loving it. Best of luck to you and if you have any questions about CO FD's let me know I have a lot of friends on different agencies throughout the metro area.

Thread Information