Thread: New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Jersey

anybody know anything about any NJ departments that are non civil service that are giving tests in the near future. also any per diem spots that are open. any info at all would be nice.

Forum Member

In New Jersey, the non civil service departments are rather small (except places like Cherry Hill and such) and usually (9 times out of 10) means you need some political (know someone) pull to get in since it sometimes doesn't matter what you got on your exams (written and physical) but who you know. I experienced this first hand :-) But look around at departments in your area, your best bet will be to set your sights on a civil service department (like Jersey City, North Hudson Regional, Camden, Atlantic City, etc..) move there (REALLY move there) and take the exam and hope for the best.

Forum Member

I believe Irvington is non-civil service. Ditto Washington Twp (mercer county), Monroe Twp (middlesex county). Some of the combination departments aren't civil service, while others are.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Irvington is civil service

Some Guy

You would be surprised to find how many departments are not civil service in NJ.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Kyle, you are right, I would. Can you name a few? most of the urban departments that I am familiar with are all civil service.

can you help shed some light on some departments that are not civil service and don't have residency requirements?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Some Guy

...off the top of my head that I can think of right now

Montclair, Maplewood, Summit, Springfield (I think, dunno), Madison, Morris Township, Hanover Township, Picattany. I also think that Cranford and Westfield are not either. I do not know for sure. I know there is more. I will look around for the old list.

Just to add. I do not know about any residency requirments. Also as far as a good way to find who is not civil service is to get a a copy of the last tests listings. From there compare it to the NJFMBA and IAFF locals. If a local does not appear in the list... there you go.
    Last edited by KyleWickman; 11-23-2007 at 03:33 PM.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

I believe Cherry Hill is a career FD that is not civil service (anyone correct me if I am wrong...) Thnx

MembersZone Subscriber

you are right cherry hill is NOT civil service. they just gave there test this past january.

KyleWickman ...off the top of my head that I can think of right now

Montclair, Maplewood, Summit, Springfield (I think, dunno), Madison, Morris Township, Hanover Township, Picattany. I also think that Cranford and Westfield are not either. I do not know for sure. I know there is more. I will look around for the old list.

Of those do you know any that are testing anytime soon. i just took maplewoods test ouple weeks ago and got a 90.

Some Guy

No sorry I don't. If I hear I will let you know.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

City of Englewood is also non civil service, it is in Bergen County.

Thread Information