Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default First day of school

Back in September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock, did something not to be forgotten. On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks out of her classroom.

When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks. Looking around, confused, they asked, "Ms. Cothren, where're our desks?" She replied, "You can't have a desk until you tell me what you have done to earn the right to sit at a desk."

They thought, "Well, maybe it's our grades."

"No," she said.

"Maybe it's our behavior."

She told them, "No, it's not even your behavior."

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in th e classroom. By early afternoon television news crews had started gathering in Ms. Cothren's classroom to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the deskless classroom, Martha Cothren said, "Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he/she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you."

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it. Twenty-seven (27) U.S. Veterans, all in uniforms, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall.

By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, "You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it."

This is a true story....

If you can read this - thank a teacher!

If you can read it in English - thank a soldier!

Have to love a teacher who thinks of these kind of things.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 11-22-2007 at 08:49 AM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

That is a "WOW" story, no matter what.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    That is a "WOW" story, no matter what.
    I'll second that. Very good story.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

A good story and, according to snopes anyway, also true.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/nodesks.asp

Nice find, Dave!
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Amazing and true.
    http://www.snopes.com/glurge/nodesks.asp

True story of my own back in 2001...

I was working at a bicycle shop in town and it was November 11th. I was talking to a fellow co-worker and made a joke saying, "I shouldn't be working today because I am a vet."

All of a sudden, a very pretty woman overheard as she was looking at a road bike. She came over to me smiling, with a spark in her eye. The she said to me, "Oh, your a vet.... You must really love animals."

I smiled back and chuckled while saying " sorry honey, I am a marine"

She just walked away.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

dep you beat me to it....

Forum Member

If you haven't been to the National WW II Museum in New Orleans,you really ought to plan to go soon.That place is just awesome.From it's beginnings as focusing on the events of June 6,1944,the museum has expanded to display all of World War II.
    It was just stunning to see how the war started and recorded recollections from people about what they had been doing when war broke out and their contribution to D-Day June 6,1944 and all the other D-Days of WW II.
    There were life sized static displays of observation towers,planes,landing craft,flags and how the civilians fared and contributed to the war effort.
    I happened to pull one of my old department's t shirts out of my luggage that morning to wear and every time an elderly lady or gentleman approached me to thank me for having been a firefighter,I had to respond with"No Ma'am,No Sir.Thank YOU for having done YOUR part for this effort."
    http://www.nationalww2museum.org

Thread Information