Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Any info on Newark NJ department?

Does anybody have any information on the Newark NJ fire department? They have some serious fires over there, and it gets busy just like the FDNY. Does anybody have any testing information?

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Moediaz View Post
    Does anybody have any information on the Newark NJ fire department? They have some serious fires over there, and it gets busy just like the FDNY. Does anybody have any testing information?
    You have to live there to get hired.

Forum Member

Yep, it is a New jersey Civil Service department. Have to live there when you apply (NOT when you get hired). You must have a valid address in the city as well as a licence with that address on it at the time of application. After you apply you take a wirrten/physcological (fireteam video tests which are a PAIN) and then you take their physical agility test which in my opinion is the hardest one i've ever taken or ever heard about. If you are comparing it to the cpat then the cpat is a walk in the park compared to this but it is do'able with some training :-) It is a timed obstical course event, anything under 3:05 is a 100%. Most large city departments in NJ require residency at the time of application, IE: Jersey City, North Hudson Regional Fire & Rescue, Hoboken Elizabeth, etc..

Forum Member

Moediaz,

The new application comes out spring of 2008, most likely in May. Keep your eyes open for it. The application only comes out every 2 years and its a 2-3 year process on getting hired, assuming you do good enough.

The last application came out May 3rd 2006 and dead line to submit it was August 31'st then extended to September 21 2006. The written and video test was given out the 1st week of December 2006 and the physical agility test started April 2007 and ended about 2-3 months after. You can only take the physical if you passed the written & video tests. There were a few people that got medically approved to take the physical at a later date, I beleive they are all done since the score and rank list was released November 2nd 2007. Now for all of us that are ranked, its just a waiting game to see and hope the department hires enough to get to us. There are currently close to 600 people on the list for Newark, out of the 1800+ that signed up.

Go to the below link for more information:

http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...ghter_opps.htm

Thanks for the information guys, really apperciation

1,800 people, wow, Newark has fires that keep me amazed, I would think it would grab more attention. I know the fire Dept in Newark keeps busy.

Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken, Newark FD ran about 16,000 calls in 2006

Forum Member

Sounds about right Engine 11 I think ran the most calls for an engine company im pretty sure also.

Forum Member

Any news on when the city of newark is going to hire? I know the applications are out but i'm already on the list. I did all the tests have the residency and everything else i need. I've been on the list since 2007 and its going on two years since they last hired. Any info would be appreciated

Thread Information