Forum Member

Default The Delima of being a firefighter, and a hunter

Just the other day while Deer season was still in here in Ky. I decided to go hunting in the early morning. Needless to say, this time of year it was rather cold that morning so I put on my insulated denim camo pants and some thermal underwear. I stayed nice and warm through the cold moring.

But.

at around 11:00 am after I had left the field I was driving through town when the tones dropped for a structure showing heavy smoke just behind our station. Naturally I responded and was on the initial attack crew. Luckily the knockdown took less than few minutes.

But I am here to state the fact that insulated hunting pants, thermal underwear and bunker gear is HOT AS HELL! when put together. I think next time I'll take the extra 30 seconds to strip off at least the denim pants. lol.

BTW I went hunting that afternoon and discovered that the unaviodable smokey smell you obtain from fighting fire makes a great cover scent. I didn't spook the first deer. lol.

just figured I'd share.
    Last edited by Paul343; 11-24-2007 at 01:15 AM.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Forum Member

I've actually got a pair of bunker pants that I wear when hunting. Granted the "TAN" isn't the best color for walking through the woods, but the pants keep me nice and warm. The "smoke" smell is perfect for covering "human" or "house" smells. The "Cabellas Dirt Scent" is another good way to get rid of human smell.

The bunker pockets actually are the perfect place to carry the rope, knife, spare clip for the rifle and sidearm, and hot pack replacements for my gloves.

Hope you got or get a big one. I only went out twice and saw a few, including a spike, but I didn't want to take such a small dear. I'll probably go out during muzzleloader season and take whatever I can get if I don't get one during rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

That's sounds like a dilemma

Forum Member

I am certaInly not anti-hunting, but putting out a fire is more fun then shooting a deer IMHO.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I can understand where you are coming from Paul. Even in the dead of winter I only wear a tee shirt and blue jeans under my bunker gear. Im about as hot blooded as they come and I get way over heated with anything else on. BTW, Here are a couple pics of a BIG IA deer from this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Thats one helluva buck!

How much did that weigh in at?

I had an absolutely GORGEOUS buck that I crept up on, on top of a small ridge. He was feeding on the opposite side of some brush, so I took a trail that wrapped around the other three sides, and would put me in a position to cover any direction he ran. I nailed him with a perfect shot, close enough to knock him over, you know the drill I"m sure. He took off trying to get down over the bank and down to the 4x4 road we use for harvesting fire wood for camp. I heard a pickup coming, and then stop. About 30 seconds later it took off spinning it's tires.

We followed the blood trail, it went to the road, diagonal drag marks went across the tire tracks, and then the blood pattern was in a pile from where they lifted it up into the truck.

The "rival camp" that sits adjacent to the property took the dear.

They didn't know a game warden hunted at ours though
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Henry County?

Forum Member

Monroe or Marion county area is where the one in the pics was killed. I havent got the exact story on it yet. Im hearing it was taken about 15 miles from where this horse was killed....
    http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/naw_0104promo/
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    I've actually got a pair of bunker pants that I wear when hunting. Granted the "TAN" isn't the best color for walking through the woods, but the pants keep me nice and warm. The "smoke" smell is perfect for covering "human" or "house" smells. The "Cabellas Dirt Scent" is another good way to get rid of human smell.

The bunker pockets actually are the perfect place to carry the rope, knife, spare clip for the rifle and sidearm, and hot pack replacements for my gloves.

Hope you got or get a big one. I only went out twice and saw a few, including a spike, but I didn't want to take such a small dear. I'll probably go out during muzzleloader season and take whatever I can get if I don't get one during rifle.
    The next day I killed an 8 pointer, and would you belive it I missed a structure fire while I was blockng him out and taking him to the taxidermist.

here's some pics.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B

Forum Member

You know what I have to say about that?

Go F*ck yourself

Nice deer.

Oh, by the way, you have a broken tail light.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    You know what I have to say about that?

Go F*ck yourself

Nice deer.

Oh, by the way, you have a broken tail light.
    No I don't it just looks like it.

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B

Forum Member

firefighters and hunting,same thing everywhere on earth,lol.

you hunted deers but what about elks?apparently in Idaho,they have some big elks.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    firefighters and hunting,same thing everywhere on earth,lol.

you hunted deers but what about elks?apparently in Idaho,they have some big elks.
    Idaho here,

We do have elk. I got a cow tag this year. It's for private land on winter range. Just waiting for the weather to bring them down from the mountains.

I got a big female mule deer this year, We got 55 lbs of packaged meat off of her.

It isn't unusual to 400lbs of dressed meat from a cow elk.

While we like venison in our house, elk meat is the favorite. Nice mild flavor. Not near a gamey as venison.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kd7fds View Post
    Idaho here,

We do have elk. I got a cow tag this year. It's for private land on winter range. Just waiting for the weather to bring them down from the mountains.

I got a big female mule deer this year, We got 55 lbs of packaged meat off of her.

It isn't unusual to 400lbs of dressed meat from a cow elk.

While we like venison in our house, elk meat is the favorite. Nice mild flavor. Not near a gamey as venison.
    if you have some pics, and want to share with us,do not hesitate,post them.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Tennessee is pushing back its planned elk hunts until 2009.I didn't hear the reason but I am assuming that it's to allow the herd to build up more in different areas.
    When I lived in Kentucky,I'd buy an elk tag drawing number every year but never got drawn.2006 would have been my gimme year as I would have had enough points to get drawn but I'd moved back here to Memphis.
    Last week at work(I work on a towboat here in Memphis),I saw what I thought was a wierd shaped piece of drift floating downstream and put my binoculars on it.(Put your ring,pinky fingers and thumb together and extend your index and middle fingers in a vee.That's what it looked like from the main deck)
    Lo and behold,I saw at least 4 points on a deer swimming down river just past my company's dock and barge fleets.Hoping that he was gonna make it,I watched the buck make it to the shallow water right at the 740.3 mile marker and stand to catch his breath.
    Though we were docked,I'd called the pilot on the radio but got no response so I went up to the wheelhouse and verified that he was still breathing before refocusing on the deer which was now making its way up the rocks on the bank.As soon as he hit solid grass,he hauled white tail up the bank and disappeared over the levee.
    The other hunters that work with me didn't believe me til we walked down the bank and found tracks.All last week,there were guys bringing their shotguns and archery gear to work in hopes of seeing it again.

Forum Member

My only dillemma is trying to work less than 10 days a month.

Forum Member

I have, on several occasions, connected my boat trailer to my pickup truck on the night before a bass club tournament only to have to hurridly disconnect in the wee hours of dark in order to respond to a wreck, fire, or assist in a medical call.
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

MembersZone Subscriber

When deer go on the offensive.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bad hunter or dumb deer. . .you decide.

-------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

We had vacation picks for next year today, and I've only got to work two shifts in November. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truckie

Here in Minnesota, we like to practice shoot and release...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Thread Information