Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Lots of Questions!

Hey! I am new to FF and don't really know what to do. I am 16 years old and a Junior in high school, I have always thought I would go to college. I have always had an interest in being a firefighter since I was a kid. Recently, I decided that being a firefighter is what I would like to do as an occupation. But I have lots of questions.

1. What college degree should I get for being a FF?
    2. Should I also think about being a Paramedic?
    3. What colleges are recommended for FF's?
    4. What is a Fire Explorer?
    5. What do FDs look for in new recruits?
    6. What can I do at my age, to prepare for being a FF/Paramedic?

These are just some questions that I thought up of, But if anyone could help me answer these questions I would like to say thanks right now. Also, if anyone has additional information concerning the subject please feel free to give me any and all direction and advice (please).

Thanks!

Forum Member

[QUOTE=CrazyFF16;889333]

QUOTE]

1. Fire science or a business management
    2.yes
    3. anything that offers an EMT program and/or fire science
    4. never was one
    5. hard working, honest, motivated
    6. bust *** in school, cardio, basic work out plan, i.e. push ups, pulls ups, dips, sit ups and lunges (to help with stairs)

Well, become a fire cadet.. your old enough. You will get an idea of what they do. You get in full gera and go to the scenes but you do not go in the building.. usually you will get a pager.

You will need to go to the Fire Fighetr Academy. Degrees will help you. Like being a pump operater.

Being a paramedic is up to you. Its usually one or the other, you can be a CFR (Certified First Responder) to render emdical aid. Its all up to how far you will go to save a life.
    Service Through Courage

NEVER FORGET 9/11/01

Forum Member

Last edited by charlie82; 12-15-2007 at 02:46 AM.

Forum Member

Depends where you want to work.

Do you want to be a paramedic?

If you don't want to be a medic, don't go for paramedic. There are department's that will hire without it, but if you do get it, it will help with some department's. A lot do require it. However, be prepared to ride the band-aid box if that's the route you take.

College will be up to you. It isn't REQUIRED for all department's, but increasingly, more and more department's are requiring some college. Degree's can also be useful in promotions. Regardless, get a degree you want to get, because if firefighting doesn't work out, you will have something to fall back on.

As far as certs, and going to an academy and all that beforehand, look and see what the requirements are where you want to work. Some departments, especially in FL and CA, might require to be firefighter certified before you apply for a job. It's all gonna depend what you want to do, and what places you want to work. Don't do things that won't get you closer to your goal, but also don't focus too small. Test all over, and try everywhere. You might get on somewhere, you might not, it all depends.

jerry4184

I would like to be a paramedic and a FF... is that possible or usual? Thanks for the college advice. I will be going to college. I am not sure what certs you are talking about but I will have to look into thoughs. Thanks man!

MustanGT1964

I will have to look into being a fire cadet. I will have to do alot of research and make some calls on your advice. Thanks for the advice!

jeffa305

QUOTE]

1. Fire science or a business management
    2.yes
    3. anything that offers an EMT program and/or fire science
    4. never was one
    5. hard working, honest, motivated
    6. bust *** in school, cardio, basic work out plan, i.e. push ups, pulls ups, dips, sit ups and lunges (to help with stairs)

1. Where did you go to get yours? or do you have one?
    2. Are you one? If so are you both a FF and a medic?
    3. I will look into this more.
    4. How did you get started?
    5. I was thinking more along the lines of requirements and education.
    6. I am doing really well in school holding a 3.8 right now. I would like to think that I have a pretty good work out schedule but if you know of some specific work outs that you think would help that could really help me.
    Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFF16 View Post
    1. Additional to answers you already got... Emergency Medical Management and Emergency Management Planning

2. I'm not going to repeat what others have said.

3. Go up to your local department and ask them where they got their certifications.

4. http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp...ire/index.html
    ------From Learning for Life
    "Fire Service Exploring is a worksite-based program for young men and women who have completed the eighth grade and are 14 years of age, or 15 years of age but have not yet reached their 21st birthday.

Fire Service Explorer posts help youth gain insight into a variety of programs that offer hands-on career activities. For young men and women who are interested in careers in the field of fire service, Exploring offers experiential learning with lots of fun-filled, hands-on activities that promote the growth and development of adolescent youth."

Fire Exploring is a great program to get your feet wet. It is ran through the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), but only for insurance purposes.
    Here's some links to a couple of good videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5u7reLWnu4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxilTl8NKpI
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showpost...42&postcount=1
    Contact your local Learning for Life Office to find the closest Explorer Post to you. If you need help with that, give me your zip code and I can help.
    Also, see if your local department has or knows of any Explorer Posts or Junior/Cadet programs.

5 and 6 - You got good answers already.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Deleted-posted to wrong thread.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 11-26-2007 at 11:12 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MustanGT1964 View Post
    You will need to go to the Fire Fighetr Academy. Degrees will help you. Like being a pump operater.
    "Pump operater" is a degree? So's that what they mean when they say a "Degree in Engineer-ing"??? Do tell, is that a BS or an "Associates of Satirical Science" program? I'm curious, you got me all interested now.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MustanGT1964 View Post
    Well, become a fire cadet.. your old enough. You will get an idea of what they do. You get in full gera and go to the scenes but you do not go in the building.. usually you will get a pager.

Being a paramedic is up to you. Its usually one or the other, you can be a CFR (Certified First Responder) to render emdical aid. Its all up to how far you will go to save a life.
    He's new to the Fire Service... Explain more what a Fire Cadet is. I know it's more than getting gear and going to the scene... How about share what you've learned (about yourself AND the fire service)?
    Degrees help you to be a pump operator...?
    Every academy is different.

Usually for most departments, you have to have atleast your EMT-B card. First Responders really can't do a whole lot... Mind as well go the whole way
    In a nutshell... This is what CFRs can do..
    --Trauma Patient Assessment/Management
    --Bleeding Control/Shock Management
    --Upper Airway Adjuncts and Suction
    --Mouth-to-Mask Ventilation
    --One and Two Rescuer CPR
    --Infant CPR
    --Unresponsive Adult Obstructed Airway
    -----------From http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/reg_1st_history.asp
    It's not just up to how far he wants to go to save a life... It's whether he wants to put forth the work to pass the classes.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

More to what I was saying, things like paramedic, driver-operater, and such can wait until you get a job. For a 17 year-old, the best thing to do right now is do a good job in school, try not to get arrested. The route I went here in Florida was first I got my first responder, fire college, Emt-B, then I was hired. My next career objectives are, paramedic school, and as many classes I can get, i.e. tactics, self rit and things like that. I dont see myself getting my hydraulics cert and operating status until I want to promote. And I love riding backwards so I don't seeing myself driving for a while, but it is something I want in the next 15 years. I never did the fire explorer thing or fire cadet and any of that becuase when I started my schooling (emt, fire college) I was hinted too a lot of fire depts don't think a lot of fire explorers. I know in my dept we have a bunch of former fire explorers who are now hired that don't know their *** from a haligon but yet they think they are the **** becuase they completed a fire explorer program. So it's your call, Good luck to you and if you get you-self squared away by 18 or 19 then you can look forward to retiring at 48 or 49.

Thanks guys! You all helped me out, some more than others, but you guys definetly helped alot. I am going to look into the things you guys suggested and call my local fire chief. Also, I found out that I have a FF/Paramedic living across the street from me!

Talking

1. I whould get an assosiates or take a couple FF 1 classes.

2. Some kind of EMS will help, I whould at least get your EMT-B.

3. I hear Oklahoma State University, Illinois University, Baltimore Just to name a few.

4. A fire explorer is basicaly you learn all about the job, inside and out. I highly recomend joining one or volunteer Fire Departmet. It really helps.

5. A clean record!!!!!

6. Workout a lot, get on an exploer post or a volunteer fire department.

I hope that helps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Delta107 View Post
    Illinois University
    Safeguard against possible confusion... it is the University of Illinois.
    I don't know id there's an Illinois University...
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFF16 View Post
    Hey! I am new to FF and don't really know what to do. I am 16 years old and a Junior in high school, I have always thought I would go to college. I have always had an interest in being a firefighter since I was a kid. Recently, I decided that being a firefighter is what I would like to do as an occupation. But I have lots of questions.

These are just some questions that I thought up of, But if anyone could help me answer these questions I would like to say thanks right now. Also, if anyone has additional information concerning the subject please feel free to give me any and all direction and advice (please).

Thanks!
    1. You can always take a Fire Academy Course online www.trainingdivision.com
    2. Yes. It is worth the time and money. As a paramedic you will be able to provide ALS when running EMS calls. You will get paid more, and most departments require FF to be crossed trained as a FF/EMT. Most just require "EMT-B" or "CFR" but there are some cities that only hire FF/EMT-P
    4. A fire explorer is someone that is interested in the Fire Service (Like you) and join an "Explorer Group" or "Explorer Program" You might do community service, ride alongs, and learn how your dept works.
    5. Fire Dept's want Firefighters that are Honest, Dependable, Caring, Reliable, Dependable.

You should ask your local dept if they allow "ride-alongs" or "ride outs" where you get to stay at a station and ride with them on calls. You will get a first hand expierence on wheter you really want to work in this field (even though you sound like you are sure you want to work in this field already).

Good luck with your dreams...and keep us posted. Working in ANY public safety service requires a tremendous sacrice (working late, working holidays) but the rewards are great. You could be taking a shower one minute and running Code 3 down the Highway the next to a Chest Pain or whatever.

Again...Good Luck!
    Everythings bigger in Texas

Future FF/EMT-P

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all, you're only 16, so don't get into a huge hurry just yet. Don't get me wrong, it's good to get a jump-start, but you've still got a lot of time. Get in-line with your HS classes and get into the college prep stuff. Don't just walk through taking the piddley stuff.

At minimum, an AA in fire science. If I were you, I'd look hard at a bachelors degree in fire science, public administration, fire protection engineering, or something along those lines.

This day and age, I'd say yes. While there are departments that will hire you as an EMT (some with no EMS training), paramedic is fast becoming a preference, if not a requirement.

There are several out there, some of which have been named. Depending on where you are in Ohio, there may be one close. To add to the list, the US Fire Administration and National Fire Academy have some on their website. I'm looking at Eastern Kentucky as an option for my bachelors.

RF described it pretty good and included a worthwhile link for info.

A lot are looking at what kind of education you have. My department gives more points for those with a degree, with more points for higher degrees. They also look at experience, military service, and the other things any company will look at.

Get involved with any explorer/junior programs that your local departments might have. Get some exposure into what you're going to be doing and what it takes to be a firefighter. This isn't a career for just anyone.

Keep your studies up. Don't shirk on the communicaton arts, math, and other classes, particularly the college prep classes. You're going to need a lot of skills as your career progresses.

There are a lot of departments out there that won't hire anyone under 21. With that in mind, go get your degree, preferably a bachelors. It's going to be a helluva lot harder when you get a job and start a family (experience speaking here).

Forum Member

In addition to what's already been said about Fire Exploring, this video from the Orange County, CA Fire Authority pretty much sums it all up. While it tells about Exploring from thier perspective, it's still very good.
    Thanks to CalfBou who brought this video to the Forums back in September.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r21Y_jg92Y
    Firefighter/EMT

Thread Information