Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default new idea on cadio

I am searching for some new cardio that will keep my pulse up around 130 for 20 min. I F&*@ING hate running although after a few months of harder cardio I have gotten better at running.

Forum Member

MTB - MOUNTAIN BIKING. A good cross country trail is alot more interesting than treadmill slogging.

Hell try playing catch (Juggling) with a mate using 20 pound medicine balls (Great for endurance too!) Good luck using your arms for a coupla days afterwards

Forum Member

Default bike

I agree, I also hate running and I love riding the bike on the road or trail, and it is easy to sustain a high heart rate, plus when you ride you can actually feel like you have gone some where, as oposed to running where you can only go for such a short distance, good luck and keep at it

MembersZone Subscriber

check out crossfit.com, they have new workouts posted every day and they're brutal.

You could try doing a heavy bag workout, one I like to do is 15 sets of one minute rounds with a one minute rest between rounds. Its a good one to do with a friend, while you rest they are on the bag and you have each other for motivation. Its a lot more difficult than it sounds but if you aren't having a problem you can do jumping jacks, pushups, situps, squats between your bag rounds.

MembersZone Subscriber

How about step mill training?
    Here's a great plan:

No matter how hard you train for the stair climb, your legs will feel like rubber when you're through. The time it takes to recover from this depends on your fitness level and your V02 Max. VO2 Max is the maximum amount of oxygen your body can process in order to feed your muscles to do work. In tests like the CPAT, if your VO2 Max is not high enough, you simply fail. Your legs may give out, or worse, you may become injured.

To avoid these pitfalls, you must train properly!

Gradually pushing up your limits over time can allow your body to compensate a little bit each time. This allows your heart and lungs to get stronger each time, thus preparing you for more, harder work the next time.

This is an event that is really easy to train for. You simply need a road-map of how much weight to use when, and a plan of how to safely increase resistance and duration. You really do need a weight vest for this. They are sold at weightvest.com.

Remember that training on the step mill is only part of the training process necessary for training for the CPat. Your legs need to be trained with medium to heavy weights. This step mill training plan is only a very small part of the bigger picture. If all you do for your legs is this training plan, you will probably fail the CPat.

Warning! Many people train with a back pack full of sand, or by carrying a weight plate. Don't do this! It changes the biomechanics, and puts your spine at risk! It causes small amounts of injury each time you do it. This adds up, and will cause you problems in the future. As you age, you are much more likely to hurt your back. These sorts of injury are often career changing, if not career ending! Use a weight vest!

Another Warning! See your physician before beginning any exercise program! If at any time, you feel dizzy, sick, or sore for more than 48 hours in one particular area, stop doing the offending exercise! Ask your doctorís opinion! Remember that no everyoneís body is intended for these uses!

Watch your Achilles tendons!

Make sure when you step up onto that next step each time, that your feet hit the step in this order: heel-ball-toe, then push-off. Do not do this training on the balls of your feet, or with your heels hanging of the stairs as you step. This will lead to injury of your Achilles tendon(s).

Special Cases: Big feet or no Step Mill

Remember, there are cases when some people cannot train on a step mill, but must use something to simulate it. These limitations might be: your feet are too big for the millís steps or lack of equipment.

In either case, I recommend a step used for aerobics or a stair at home. The step should be should be 8-9 inches high. This means you will have to step up, up, then back down off the back: down, down. Get your whole foot on the step (or on the floor) with each up and down. No heels should hang off. Going up, it will go heel-ball-toe and coming down it will go toe-ball-heel. Change your lead leg each 30 seconds of step training to avoid Achilles stress. Remember, you would count an up-up, then down-down, as one step. You must do 60 of those per minute.

Tall Buildings:

I do not recommend using a tall building unless itís tall enough to keep walking steadily up stairs for 6 minutes without stopping. In other words, donít choose a place where you have to walk up 2 flights, then walk back down again before you can walk back up. This will do 2 things: 1. it will give your heart rate a chance to slow, thus not training you well. 2. Walking down stairs is not good for your knees. Even if they are young and healthy, why do it? Especially training? You should save those knees for coming down the stairs of a burning building once you have a job- with a person in your arms!

Step Depth and foot size on test day:

If your feet are too large for the step mill used in the test, thatís a tough one. You should still not train on the step mill. Use the up and back down off the back method mentioned above. Two days a week after your step training, do some calf raises: start off with 2 sets and work up to 5 sets of 8. Stretch the calf, and the Achilles tendon. That is, do a calf stretch with your knee locked for 30 seconds, then with it slightly bent, foot still flat to the floor for 30 more seconds. This should prep your calves for the actual test without hurting you.

So whatís the Plan?

Hereís a plan for you to use. It will take you 11 (plus) weeks to get through it. Train a day on the step mill, and lift weights with your upper body on other indicated days. One thing I would avoid, though, is weight training for your traps specifically during this time. So: donít do shrugs or upright rows. The weight vest is tough enough on them. I say strongly: some people might also like to lift with their legs stepping days, but itís too much to cover here.

This workout is longer than you will be required to do for the step mill on test day. This will make test day easier, plus make you more than ready for the additional demands of test day! For more information on what is expected on test day, read here.

Make sure you warm up 5 minutes easy on the stationary bike, and stretch after wards- especially your calves!

For the "step by step"/day by day plan, the printable chart for this is here.

Scroll down to the 4th article, and print out that fill in chart!

Dr. Jen
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 12-16-2007 at 08:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Try some circuits with a sledgehammer, sandbags and a bodyweight exercise, which is very firefighter specific.

JC
    http://www.ultimatefirefighterworkout.blogspot.com
    Last edited by westchester47; 12-17-2007 at 07:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jump Rope

Get a GOOD jump rope and learn the different moves for it. Its an extremly great excerise with low impact on joints and the best way to reach your Vmax heart rate. Buddy Lee has a few different products kinda pricey though.

Captain Mike

Hey Mongo,

In my training of FDNY candidates and I regularly use sledge hammers. sled pulling, rope work, sandbags, and of course kettlebell training. I include that in my department seminars as well.

Take a peak at my website for articles:
    http://firefightersworkout.com

my most recent article on the subject:
    http://firefightersworkout.com/fitbyte212.html

and a brief video:
    http://firefightersworkout.com/mentor.html
    (click to play movie)

Good Luck,
    Michael Stefano
    Author of The Firefighter's Workout Book
    www.firefightersworkout.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jump rope

I agree that jumping rope is great cardio, but I don't agree that it is low impact... at first However, the better you get at it, the lower impact it is. Once you get good, you should only be jumping enough to clear the rope... about an inch. This is much smoother and easier to do with a nylon speed rope.

It's a great exercise to do super setting push ups and pull ups (or lat pulls). For example:

1 min jump, 120 rpms, single jump
    20 push ups
    walk around initially, if needed to come back to 120
    1 min jump, 120 rpms, single jump
    20 lat pulls, 60% of body wt?
    walk around if needed... 120
    repeat. repeat, repeat...
    Go up in wt. by 10 lbs. on the lat pulls each set... down in reps by 2.

Try to go for 20 minutes at first. Increase by 2 minutes each time. The goal is 1 hour. Wear your ipod with some high energy tunes, and you are on your way!

This is a great workout, and you can sub in pull ups instead of lat pulls if you don't have equipment.

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Thread Information