MembersZone Subscriber

Default Impending Retirement

This thread will probably be of interest to only a few on here, but I need some guidance. I'm facing voluntary retirement from my contract work in about 1 1/2 years, depending on offshore medical, may be mandatory. I have spent the last 12 years wandering and yondering pursuing my career, finances are not a big problem, but having a purpose to get up in the morning scares the hell out of me. I've had a lot of friends in the FF and John Law field go into retirement, only to end up alcoholics or blobs from lack of doing anything. Before the statements about volunteering come, I don't live in US or Canada anymore. Just wonder how some of the retirees out there handle this transition.
    Thanks
    Bryan

Forum Member

My cousin started teaching at his local fire academy when he retired from active service...maybe that's something you would have an interest in?

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know whether you're looking for work or play ideas but here's some:

Work- Consulting, CPR/Safety instruction for industry or businesses, home inspection business, teaching in fire science curriculum at community colleges, etc.

Play- If you like travel, my parents retired many years back. He bought an over-the-road bus and built his own motorhome, and continues to work on it today. That way he still feels like he has a home (always something to do) and they travel at the same time. They also do campground hosting and bounce all around the country doing that.

Lots of volunteer options also, such as Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, Red Cross, etc. One of our Captains retired a couple years back and is very involved with Red Cross, travels to many natural disasters, and really loves still being involved with helping people.

Good luck in retirement.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Thread Information