Forum Member

Question Anyone heard of TEEX Academy?

Hello everyone, I'm thinking of going to the TEEX fire academy in Texas and I was just wondering if anyone has gone there or know anyone who has. Any info about this fire school would be great to hear about.

Thanks, Kyle

Forum Member

It's a good school, ive got most of my certs from there and I have a friend about to start the academy some time early 08. They have plenty of props to burn on and they are makng inprovements on the complex. For the academy they will take the G.I. Bill. College Station is fun as well, spent many nights at North Gate.

Forum Member

I live in WA and I want to go to a really good fire academy, I just want the most hands on and as much experience as I can get.

MembersZone Subscriber

I attended the 4 month TEEX recruit academy in the summer of 2000. It was very intense, physically demanding and worth every penny. I highly recommend it!

Forum Member

While I didn't get my training at TEEX, I did train in Austin, which is only a little ways away from College Station/Bryan where it is. Our department did have them come down and teach a few of our cert classes (trench rescue, HazMat, and building construction, to name a few).

Top notch instructors and, from what I've heard, full training program. It's actually run through Texas A&M, IIRC.

You won't be let down with their program. But, if you're wanting to get your FF along with a degree, I think Oklahoma State University has a bachelor's program that encompasses getting both. Check into it, though.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jschmidt View Post
    I attended the 4 month TEEX recruit academy in the summer of 2000. It was very intense, physically demanding and worth every penny. I highly recommend it!
    4 months? Which program was that? What are some of the things you got out of the experience? Did it help with taking fire exams, and getting hired? And what was the cost and etc?

Forum Member

If I remember right LSU has a academy as well, IFSAC.

I think TEEX is just Pro Board and state.

Just FYI

Forum Member

TEEX is for sure Pro-Board.

They are an extension program where they offer numerous classes throughout the USA and then you get an IFSAC state with the TEEX (Texas A&M seal on it). To explain it better, lets say you live in AZ, you go to TEEX website and find the class you want in AZ, take and pass that class, and your cert comes in the mail and it says you took the class at Texas A&M.

I highly recommend taking TEEX courses.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWilson View Post
    4 months? Which program was that? What are some of the things you got out of the experience? Did it help with taking fire exams, and getting hired? And what was the cost and etc?
    The 4 month program is the structural firefighter certification academy. The experience was awesome! It really prepares you for the physical and mental demands of being a firefighter. It does have a great reputation so that can't hurt your chances of getting hired. It cost $2500 back in 2000, I don't know what the cost is now though. If you are looking for a place to get certified as a structural fire fighter it is top notch for sure.
    Last edited by jschmidt; 12-03-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jschmidt View Post
    The 4 month program is the structural firefighter certification academy. The experience was awesome! It really prepares you for the physical and mental demands of being a firefighter. It does have a great reputation so that can't hurt your chances of getting hired. It cost $2500 back in 2000, I don't know what the cost is now though. If you are looking for a place to get certified as a structural fire fighter it is top notch for sure.
    whats the difference between structural and the one that I probably will attend?
    http://www.teex.com/teex.cfm?pageid=...14&navdiv=ESTI

Is the structural better then others? Sorry im a big newbie at all this

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWilson View Post
    whats the difference between structural and the one that I probably will attend?
    http://www.teex.com/teex.cfm?pageid=...14&navdiv=ESTI

Is the structural better then others? Sorry im a big newbie at all this
    The one that you will attend is the same as the one that I did. Mine was 3 months also I just forgot.

Forum Member

Well I think im gonna go there but I cant decide if i wanna go for the April or Sept classes? Im trying to figure out which one of the two wont be as hot down there? If anyone has been there for either of the two months let me know which is best, keep in mind there three month courses.
    Last edited by KyleWilson; 12-17-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Thread Information