Thread: Medical Records

Default Medical Records

When departments conduct a background investigation for potential firefighters, do they probe medical records? i.e Is a recruit required to sign a release form so background investigators can obtain medical records.

If so, are fire departments as strict on disqualifying applicants as are police departments?

Thanks for your help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chancer View Post
    When departments conduct a background investigation for potential firefighters, do they probe medical records? i.e Is a recruit required to sign a release form so background investigators can obtain medical records.

If so, are fire departments as strict on disqualifying applicants as are police departments?
    Yes, to all of the above questions. You will be asked to sign off a release that allows the BI to look at anything they want including your insurance company that paid for any medical expenses. If you don't list the requested information and they find it, you will immediately be eliminated from the process. Are you concerned about a medical condition you have? Much has changed under ADA law.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chancer View Post

Thanks for your help.
    It would depend on where you are at, I believe Capt. Bob when he answers the question is being honest and forward. In my area it would be very strange for an examiner to ask for personal medical records. If they want medical records, they can send you to the doctor and generate as many medical records as they want. If they did request my personal medical records, I would kindly decline to provide them. Not out of some desire to hide some past medical problem, but because it is none of their damn business. At that point you have passed a CPAT, your good to go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    .......I would kindly decline to provide them.......because it is none of their damn business.

When the BI is doing your background investigation, REMEMBER, you signed a form to let them look at your previous employment records, driving record, criminal record, credit history, and MEDICAL RECORDS....yes...I said MEDICAL RECORDS. It is THEIR BUSINESS if they are potentially going to employ you for 20-30 years and see what types of injuries/surgurey's you have had that could potentially come back to bite them in the long run (Pre-existing medical conditions). I.E.: Back problems, knee problems, shoulder problems, etc............
    Last edited by AZFF25; 12-26-2007 at 05:37 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZFF25 View Post
    When the BI is doing your background investigation, REMEMBER, you signed a form to let them look at your previous employment records, driving record, criminal record, credit history, and MEDICAL RECORDS....yes...I said MEDICAL RECORDS. It is THEIR BUSINESS if they are potentially going to employ you for 20-30 years and see what types of injuries/surgurey's you have had that could potentially come back to bite them in the long run (Pre-existing medical conditions). I.E.: Back problems, knee problems, shoulder problems, etc............
    As I said, it depends on where you are at and what you signed.

Thread Information