MembersZone Subscriber

Default Disappearing Car Door - never know what you'll run into

This web site was just brought to my attention. Watch the automatic video on their front page.

http://www.disappearing-car-door.com/

This company refits cars with a motorized door opener where the window rolls down, and then the ENTIRE door slides down and UNDER the car, opening the entire doorway to entry and egress. There are no hinges or latch pins on the sides of the door, rather there is a sort of slider track on each side of the door and an enclosed void/compartment under the car where the stowed door goes when in the opened position.

A toy for those with disposable income.

Chances you'll ever have to pop one of these: slim to none. But someone will probably get one of these sooner or later. I bring this up not necessarily to add to your training plate, but to your awareness. When you see it, you'll have at least an inkling of what you're up against.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Very slick. Very futuristic. For a moment there it was hard to convince myself that it wasn't some kind of CGI trickery....the door doesn't seem to have anywhere to go, it just, well, disappears. Neat.

As far as extrication goes, no telling how difficult it would be to attack the track system the doors operate on (assuming you'd already identified what you were dealing with). I imagine they'd be pretty beefy. You may be able to force it from its tracks, but of course you'd have to take it from both ends.

Probably be easier just to remove the roof. If you notice from the video, the B-pillar is already removed for you as part of the modification.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

This topic's sister post at IACOJ also drew a response about its credibility, supposing that this was trickery, causing me to do further research.

Conclusion #1: It is real.

Conclusion #2: This is from 1993 and it never took off.

An additional article on the car:
    http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/07/21/...ring-car-door/

One of the prototypes was recently sold on eBay, the listing goes into more detail, has lots more photos (including the hardware in the trunk that makes the system work), and a new video clip which also shows the less glamourous view from inside the car:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160135007203

So doubtful any of us will ever see this.... sliding it from the realm of extrication training over to simply "man, that is pretty cool!".
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    So doubtful any of us will ever see this.... sliding it from the realm of extrication training over to simply "man, that is pretty cool!".
    It is possible for some of us to see it, but they'd better be on the same extrication crew because this thing isn't 'one' of the prototypes, it is 'THE' prototype!
    I'm surprised it didn't take off a little better, gadgetty crap like this should have been a hit with the hotrod modifiers.
    Nobody ever called the fire department for doing something smart.

Thread Information