Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Yah, lots of suspense in my answer. I'll give you the "details" on "depends".

Single story ranch, we'll usually start it on the ground and leave it running. 3 story colonial, we'll start it on the ground and then shut it off and restart on the roof. Sometimes, we carry it up with us. Sometimes we haul it up using a rope. Most times, we are on the roof when we are cutting. Sometimes, we are in the bucket and cutting.

So, based on how far we are climbing, the guy that is actually going to use the saw, and a couple other minor factors....it depends.
    When you state sometimes your in the bucket when cutting. Is that determined off the safety of being on the structure itself due to stability or roof angle/pitch, or is that based on personal preference?

Forum Member

Based on many of our structures where the bucket can't get too.

Truss construction roof's are very rare in my area.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Based on many of our structures where the bucket can't get too.

Truss construction roof's are very rare in my area.
    Is your department cutting triangular holes off the bucket?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    The idea is to get the entire saw warm. REV 'em up, let 'em idle, do both, they still need to get warm.
    I don't disagree with that. What I mean is that letting them sit there at idle isn't doing much good. I didn't mean to give the impression that you should rev them and just shut them off.

In October, you should hold them over your head and wave them around while revving. Wear a butcher's apron and a mask made of human flesh.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Who the f*ck ****ed in your wheaties?
    Joe............

Forum Member

Woosies! What's a chain brake? T550 with a Warthog or a CE will do nicely.Triangular hole?*^%? If you're gonna cut it,4x8 minimum.How do you do a pitched roof if the bucket doesn't reach? I KNOW how we do it and it's been done quite a few times. T.C.

Forum Member

Initial may be a triangle. Most times, a square. And the rare time a triangle gets done, it's usually finished off to a square.

How do you do a pitched roof if the bucket doesn't reach?
    It's been about 6 years since I've been on a flat roof.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default Run the Saw!

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Carry them up the ladder running or not running? What's your opinion and department's SOPs?

I work in some pretty challenging weather- at least 47% of the year below 35 degress. I have had great results from starting the saw on the ground, and while compling my other equipment and the Arienl or 40 ft being placed, it runs. I carry it purring up the ladder and as many of you have mentioned, if it dies at some point, she is primed for a quick pull. Grrrrrrrrr!

All of this depends on your comfort level, and skills moving around a ladder. So, practice...period. I use a lg beaner and keep it hip held- obviously facing out and back. I can up zip any ladder, and get er done.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    The Stihl rep mentioned that starting them everyday to see if they start is a waste of time, and hard on the saw. They are inspected daily (fluids, blades, & overall condition) then run for 20 - 25 minutes on Saturday. That makes our plugs last longer, and we don't have the issues with hard starting saws that we were having.
    I don't know, I know many guys who use saws every day for their job and their saws last a long long time....

I've also worked with professional fallers on wildfires and they also start/maintain their saws every day.

As for the original question, we teach start it on the ground, run it until you climb, then restart on the roof.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

In October, you should hold them over your head and wave them around while revving. Wear a butcher's apron and a mask made of human flesh.

I saw a video from a houston website, cant remember which, that had a guy starting the chainsaw and like lifting it up and screaming. It was like a 10 second clip though. It was cold outside and he had like one of those knit hats on.

Forum Member

Removed due to the lack of desired effect.
    Last edited by FDAIC485; 12-11-2007 at 10:51 PM.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Thread Information