Forum Member

Question Chainsaws to the roof...

Carry them up the ladder running or not running? What's your opinion and department's SOPs?

MembersZone Subscriber

We do not have a SOP on this, however.......beginning of shift.start the saw, let it run for a few minutes.......at a fire ....start it up before going up the ladder....shut it off and reset any switches so that when you get to the roof all you have to do is give it a pull. It does no good to get to the roof with a saw that won't start.

MembersZone Subscriber

What 7554 said.

I hope it also goes without saying that the throttle, brake, choke/on....all in the ready position so all you have to do is pull the starter. No one likes fumbling around in the dark on the Charlie side of a SFD at 2:53AM trying to start the saw before it goes up the ladder.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

as a preference i would rather not be heaving pull strokes while standing on a pitched roof. If its a chainsaw id rather set the brake, crank it and carry it up. the partner saw doesnt leave much choice.

if it comes down to it there is a way to start saws while maintaining a "kneeling" position, and im pretty sure our SOP says crank it on the ground and kill it, restart on the roof.

MembersZone Subscriber

We do not have an SOP on this but,

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    crank it on the ground and kill it, restart on the roof.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Carry them up the ladder running or not running? What's your opinion and department's SOPs?

We don't use chainsaws on the roof...however we do start the partner saws once up there.

Why start them on the ground?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    We don't use chainsaws on the roof...however we do start the partner saws once up there.

Why start them on the ground?

FTM-PTB
    To make sure it works, and to get it warm. Since it is already running might as well leave it on and brake it. Climb the ladder and cut the roof. I think it easier and safer than starting it on a pitched roof.

MembersZone Subscriber

To make sure it works, and to get it warm. Since it is already running might as well leave it on and brake it. Climb the ladder and cut the roof. I think it easier and safer than starting it on a pitched roof.
    You didn't mention pitched roof. We only use saws on pitched roofs from the Tower Ladder Buckets...safety issue.

Second...around here we've found it best if we start the saw at the begining of every tour...that way it fires right up if we use it that tour...no need to waste time at a fire.

FTM-PTB

the 4-1-4

We work on pitched roofs everyday, but not with chain saws. We only use circular saws, such as the Husqvarna.
    We check them in the morning, as we start our shift, to check the blade, fuel levels, and over all condition of the saw. We also clean them after every use.
    We also don't necessarily start them every day. You can, if you want to, but it really isn't needed. If the saw is well maintained, it will start with no problem.
    Now, don't mistake that as not being familiar with the saw, and how to start it. We are very anal with keeping them clean and working.

I also wouldn't start it just before going to a roof, we've had problems with them flooding out on the roof. This tends to happen with the Huskys that we use now. Also, I would never climb a ladder with a running saw, too dangerous. Some saws, the blade will spin some if it is running, and you can choke the saw out, too. Then you would have to restart it on the roof anyhow.
    Last edited by jasper45; 12-02-2007 at 10:40 AM.

the 4-1-4

I think it easier and safer than starting it on a pitched roof.
    We spend a lot of time drilling on how to start a saw on a pitched roof. All it really takes is some practice. We do learn it in the school, but we pound heavily in the field on starting them on roofs.

MembersZone Subscriber

We teach starting it on the ground b/c most of the vol. FD's around here don't have personnel in the station every day, so there is little hope htat the saws get proper exercise.

The last two regional academy classes in my area on ventilation showed just how far into the X-Box generation we've slipped. The students are taught to start the saw on the ground to ensure it works. They then shut it down, ready it to restart and go to the roof. Nearly half of the students struggled to start the saw on the roof. It seemed to be a combination of the lack of upper body strength, not being comfortable on the roof, and not being "hands on" at all. This was on a peak roof mock-up. The ones who were carpenters or other tradesman types had no issues, but he younger kids really had to practice and it was like watching the proverbial monkey with the football. We literally have had to discuss making the ventilation class longer to teach more power tool basics. We definitely decided that local vollie academy or not, they need an entrance exam that shows their physical ability and drive.

On my job the saws get started daily and it's up to the FF whether he starts it on the ground or not. Jut as long as it starts when needed.

Forum Member

We do not have a set SOP on this, however for the most part around here it is common practice to start the saw at the truck, let it run while carrying it to the ladder so it is warmed up, then shut it off and set it up so that all the roof guys have to do is give it a pull when they get up there
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldn't rely on the chain break to keep you safe. If it is hit the chain could start spinning.
    Satrt the saw on the ground then restart it on the roof.

Forum Member

If we were going to the roof, my captain wanted me to get the saw and start it for them while they threw the ladder and all that. It worked smoothly.

If your saw's blade spins while it's idling, then don't start it on the ground if you don't want to. To avoid starting any saw because some do this is ridiculous--adjust to your situation and equipment.

Forum Member

Our SOP's say, start it on the ground and run it for a few seconds, then engage the chain break. If it has a chain cover, you can extend the cover and carry it up the ladder running. If it does not have a chain cover then you have to shut it down before going up the ladder. All of our chain saws have chain breaks, and most of them have chain covers.
    We start the chain on the ground so that we know it works and we don't have to mess around with getting a cold saw started on the roof.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

The vent saw we use is a chain saw with a chain brake and a depth gauge/ safety cover for the chain. We start the saw on the ground set the brake, leave the depth gauge covering the chain and climb up with the saw running.

Safer to start on the ground and safe to carry up.

Forum Member

I'm on an engine, as "engies" we'd rather not touch the "truckies" crap....but I think they usually start 'em up on the ground, shut 'em down, then restart 'em on the roof.

Forum Member

Depends. How's that for a concrete answer.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Depends. How's that for a concrete answer.
    What do you have some suspensful answer coming? I am on the edge of my seat waiting refreshing the page every minute until you reply. I can't wait really.

I can't stand crap like this. If you don't have the time or any useful information to add to the discussion why even put stupid replys like this? It gets old. Real old.

We all know it "depends."

How's that for a concrete reply?

Forum Member

What do you have some suspensful answer coming? I am on the edge of my seat waiting refreshing the page every minute until you reply. I can't wait really.

I can't stand crap like this. If you don't have the time or any useful information to add to the discussion why even put stupid replys like this? It gets old. Real old.

Who the f*ck ****ed in your wheaties?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45 View Post
    We do not have a set SOP on this, however for the most part around here it is common practice to start the saw at the truck, let it run while carrying it to the ladder so it is warmed up, then shut it off and set it up so that all the roof guys have to do is give it a pull when they get up there
    Same here.

We got away from the run them everyday plan. The Stihl rep mentioned that starting them everyday to see if they start is a waste of time, and hard on the saw. They are inspected daily (fluids, blades, & overall condition) then run for 20 - 25 minutes on Saturday. That makes our plugs last longer, and we don't have the issues with hard starting saws that we were having.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    Same here.

We got away from the run them everyday plan. The Stihl rep mentioned that starting them everyday to see if they start is a waste of time, and hard on the saw. They are inspected daily (fluids, blades, & overall condition) then run for 20 - 25 minutes on Saturday. That makes our plugs last longer, and we don't have the issues with hard starting saws that we were having.
    same here, we do a daily check every day, fluids, chain, etc. start all power tools once a week. SOP is start on the ground, reset controls, restart on roof.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    The Stihl rep mentioned that starting them everyday to see if they start is a waste of time, and hard on the saw.
    The Stihl rep isn't counting on the thing starting. All it takes is bad gas mix and it won't start. Plenty of times we've had saws go out on an in between day. I know they can break any time, but checking your equipment at relief is more than acceptable, and I want to be as sure as reasonable the thing will go.

You don't turn them on and then let them idle. Rev the thing up for a little. Idling doesn't do much good.

Forum Member

The idea is to get the entire saw warm. REV 'em up, let 'em idle, do both, they still need to get warm.

Forum Member

Yah, lots of suspense in my answer. I'll give you the "details" on "depends".

Single story ranch, we'll usually start it on the ground and leave it running. 3 story colonial, we'll start it on the ground and then shut it off and restart on the roof. Sometimes, we carry it up with us. Sometimes we haul it up using a rope. Most times, we are on the roof when we are cutting. Sometimes, we are in the bucket and cutting.

So, based on how far we are climbing, the guy that is actually going to use the saw, and a couple other minor factors....it depends.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information