Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default What states accept DOD certs?

In talking with some of the other Air Force firefighters it seems like there's some states that accept DOD certifications and some that don't. My uncle, retired captain from LAFD/CA, talked to the current training Chief for me and he said that they do not accept them outright but might allow me to challenge california certs by taking EOC's and performing practicals, however it sounded discretionary? Unlike CA in some states like LA you can pay the state 10 bucks a cert and they will transfer them directly over to state of LA certs.

Currently I have:

FF I & II
    ARFF
    Hazmat Awreness/Ops/Technician
    Telecom I & II
    Confined Space Rescue
    Firest Responder

I'm working on my EMT-B

And I may or may not get Rescue I before I seperate, it depends really on how many slots we get the next time the class drops.

On my licenses I have a flurry of crash trucks and a flurry of pumpers/engines, as well as a couple of tenders. LAFD doesn't care about these either. A Batallion Chief from San Fran wrote me back in an email responding to an inquiry about my certs and licenses saying that there panel doesn't care what certs I bring with me or whats on my license but that I should figure out how to smoke my oral and find other ways to make myself marketable. Truth be told thats what I thought I was douing by acquiring as many certs as the Air Force will allow me, making myself marketable.

I am pretty open to what state and area's are available to me for employment. Would just like to know what states are accepting DOD certs and if any one could help me out with this, I would be much appreciative.

MembersZone Subscriber

CA does not have resiprosity with any other states or the military. Sorry.

MembersZone Subscriber

for a $30 fee you can transfer your dod ff1 & 2 to ca state certs, call the state fire marshals office for more info.

Forum Member

Kyle77, where did you hear CA will grant reciprosity for DOD certs? I am a FF in CA and have never heard of this. I currently have DOD FF1 & 2 and would love to get my CA state certs.

Does anyone know more about this or how to get the process started.

Thanks for the input,

Kev

Forum Member

Just recieved an email from the CA State certification board and they said specifically that DOD or out of state certs are NOT recognized in CA.

Sorry,

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool DOD Certs

It is true that CSFM does not currently accept/recognize D.O.D. Certs, however I foresee it eventually happenin' soon. I know numerous College's that are currently jumping through the hoops to teach IFSAC Classes. Where I work we accept D.O.D. Certs and our Chiefs actually have picked-up people primarily on their D.O.D. Certs.

Just so it's clear why the state doesn't recognize the D.O.D. Certs here's an example of the difference:
    State of Calif. (CICCS) CFO I Classes needed:
    FIRE OFFICER
    Command 1A
    Command 1B
    Command 1C
    Instructor 1A
    Instructor 1B
    Investigation 1A
    Management 1
    Prevention 1A
    Prevention 1B
    I-300
    As well as CSFM FF 1 and 2

D.O.D. Officer:
    DOD FF 1 and 2
    Airport FF
    Pumper
    ARFF/Crash
    Hazmat Awareness/Operations/IC
    Mobile Water Supply
    DOD Fire Officer 1 and 2
    DOD Fire Instructor 1
    DOD Fire Inspector

I have most of the CSFM (CICCS) CFO Classes and also am certified as a Captain with my Department, the CSFM Classes are far more challenging, updated and take into account the fire behavior seen in our state. I'm not saying the D.O.D. System is bad, but it's different from the CSFM's curriculum.

Both are based on IFSTA Manuals as some of the core. However the CSFM for Command 1C also covers Urban Interface Fire Scenarios, which we use on a lot of our fires in So. California.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Quote Originally Posted by kyle77 View Post
    for a $30 fee you can transfer your dod ff1 & 2 to ca state certs, call the state fire marshals office for more info.
    NOT ACCURATE. Please listen to the California Firefighters on the California issues, not some one from NY.

Please click on this link- http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/training/pdf...uresmanual.pdf

And scroll down to page 104 for the current and correct information.

Forum Member

I was in the Marine Corps. Stationed at Miramar, CA in 2004. We had a program with the state of CA where we could pay $50 a cert and get our FFI and FFII DOD certs. turned into CA certs. I dont know where you are stationed but if you are in CA look into it. The only restrictions were that you had to serve active duty Fire for 2 years in that state.

Thread Information