Forum Member

Default Oakland Application Fiasco

Here's the TV news story that says it all:

http://www.ktvu.com/video/14748874/index.html

Forum Member

Wow....If that doesnt scream "Class Action Lawsuit" I dont know what does!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Forum Member

What a cluster...

Probably the wisest thing for Oakland to do would be to re-open the process and handle all applications received together regardless of which session they are received from. Otherwise they're going to poison the entire application process for those 23 hires.

Both fire chief and the HR director should get some serious reprimands for how this was handled.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    And the chief is a minority. Interesting.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Truckie

Why didn't they eliminate all the bu!!***** and post right upfront:
    WHITES NEED NOT APPLY
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    WHITES NEED NOT APPLY
    That's easily the most bullsh|t, racist comment I've seen posted here in quite some time...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    What a cluster...

Probably the wisest thing for Oakland to do would be to re-open the process and handle all applications received together regardless of which session they are received from. Otherwise they're going to poison the entire application process for those 23 hires.

Both fire chief and the HR director should get some serious reprimands for how this was handled.

I totally agree!

Why did they hand out 8000 applications in the first place, if they knew it would be too expensive to process them all?

No doubt before this is over, they will have spent more money fixing their screw-up than they would have by simply processing all of the original applications the first time.

Another fine example of your tax dollars at work.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Last Oakland test that required an EMT they handed out around 2,900 applications and around 2,400 showed up for the written.

I've heard from reliable sources that because of Mayor Ron Dellums progressive plan, Oakland FD dropped the requirements to attrack more location citizens. Hence the melt down.

It was the first application process I've been to in more than 35 years that too many of those in line didn't even understand what an oral board or job interview was and the other steps of the hiring process. They just saw the ad in the paper, heard it on the radio/TV and the sound trucks running around town.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow. What a mess.

Forum Member

What an insane scene.

I'm sure the majority of the people who were there simply didn't know better, but if I were there I would have stayed as FAR away from a news camera as possible.

Yeah, the situation absolutely sucked...but badmouthing a potential employer on TV is simply bad juju. Oh well, I wasn't there - not my place to have a say.

MembersZone Subscriber

On the video they said one candidate arrested for public drunkenness. haha How stupid can you be?

Truckie

That's easily the most bullsh|t, racist comment I've seen posted here in quite some time.
    Really, watch the videos and post any evidence the supports your comment.
    If not, get your head out of the sand.
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 12-03-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

Exclamation Oakland Fire Application Process

I want to share with everyone that there is legal action being pursued by a group of applicants that were present at the disheartening Oakland Fiasco created by the Administration of the OFD. If you are interested in sharing your feelings or your account of what happened and getting involved in the suit, please send an email to ofdlegalaction@yahoo.com. This is 2007 and what happened in downtown Oakland over the weekend we cannot let go. Please consider sharing your perspective and fighting this sadly unjust turn of events.

Default Sad but true...

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    That's easily the most bullsh|t, racist comment I've seen posted here in quite some time...

While it does appear quite racist, i have to say that you must not have been present. Had you been there you would have had no reply, as this is exactly what the truth was. This was the most sickening process ever and to have been a part of it was depressing. This was the biggest case of racism I have ever experienced in my life. Pathetic and corrupt are the two words that come to mind immediately when i think of how to describe the administration that created this mess.

Forum Member

"We are moving forward with the process," Oakland fire Lt. David Brue said.

More here:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=57329

The deadline to submit applications was noon Saturday.

A multiple-choice test will be administered next Saturday to the remaining candidates. Oral interviews will be conducted Jan. 28 to Feb. 1, and physical agility tests will be given Feb. 25-29.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool ??

My Opinion..........There are to many that think the they want this career and just want just the benifits and hrs and the there are THE people who get in for who they know and not what they know (FAMILY).
    The FDs should all have at least the min. req of FF/EMT-B. That would show that u have put in your time/edu and want the job. They should also do the physical first and the written second.
    Does any one else agree?

If Oakland had those min. req they could afford to process all the apps that met the reqirements.

Forum Member

Default From: ChargetheLine

This was on the news this afternoon. PK

http://cbs5.com/local/oakland.firefi....2.601629.html

Turned Away Can Now Apply To Be Oak. Firefighters
    Reporting
    Mike Sugerman
    OAKLAND (CBS 5 / KCBS) ― Oakland fire officials told CBS 5 Monday afternoon that they will now allow all of the estimated 3,000 people who lined up Saturday at Frank H. Ogawa Plaza to apply for a chance at one of 20 jobs available in the city's fire department.

The city came under criticism as some applicants waited overnight, sitting in lawn chairs or with sleeping bags, only to be turned away. The city said it would take applications only from the first 1,000 people in line, but some in the crowd complained that fire staffers didn't follow that protocol and they were turned away.

"There could've been a better way for them to do it," said applicant Tanisha Thomas. "They only are taking a thousand applicants and gave out way too many applications. And it really wasn't organized until the last minute, as to how they were going to take people from each side."

Oakland fire officials are expected to soon provide details of how the application process will work for those who were turned away on Saturday.

Officials said the list of names generated from this open job call will last for the next two years. Over that time frame another 50 jobs are likely to be filled from this group of applicants.

Default i hope you never get in any dept

WHITES NEED NOT APPLY
    I am a white fire fighter in oakland. Its people like you that I never want to work with. You are plain and simple a racist jerk. No public service job would benefit from having you as an employee. I know the way this whole hiring process is at the very least bizarre and ***-n-nine. But for you to write such a ignorant remark only shows your ignorance and a good reason to never hire you. I wish the white males out there would quit using the excuse " I am white so Ill never get a job". I was white and ranked on 4 different departments lists.
    # 1 oakland
    2 stockton
    26 contra costa
    32 berkley

So quit your sniveling and just accept the fact if you have taken tests for years maybe you are doing something wrong and quit blaming others for your short comings.

WHITES NEED NOT APPLY
    You have to be the one who should never get a job, if you already have one i feel sorry for the city you work for

Thumbs down fairness

In reply to usndvr79 congrats on being in, in all fairness did you see the process being used? Are you sure that was fair to anyone there?
    It looked like a mob crowd turning ugly as far as organization. The high numbers that turned out for the process were ((expected)) by the department when they dropped the EMT requirement and when they haneded out 7000+ applications. The bottom line is that the process used dec 1st was unfair to all applicants no matter how it is looked at. They were choosing applicants by physical appearance, when the personnel director backs a crowd up so she can (as she stated) "see what she has to work with" so she can hand pick another group of individuals, it is difficult to believe there is not more at work than, "being in the rite place at the rite time". If the city was concerned with fairness it is common knowledge that many other citys accept all applications and conduct a electronic lottary. Why did Oakland not have the simple foresight to use this when they removed the EMT requirement? Who knows.
    If you were not selected and did not test this past saturday you have your oppertunity to submit your application Jan12th from what I understand. I am leary of going back myself after dec1st I lost alot of respect for a department I have looked forward to testing with since I began as a firefighter. We'll see.
    Last edited by justoneff; 12-11-2007 at 04:49 AM.

Forum Member

Cool Reverse Racism is a provable fact

Prediction - Out of the twenty jobs a couple token white guys will be hired, Five or more women will be hired,
    Like it or not the rest will be identified minorities hired because of their minority status combined hopefully with the skills necessary one of them will be named Mohammad...

I am a former SF bay area city employee that city and all others have minority hiring goals and yearly the HR department sends out the list to all managers very strongly suggesting what races and sexes are needed to make the city workforce balanced according to some formula used. The list can be obtained at your local city hall

Yes many "White guys" were passed over in the past for being white because of hiring goals this continues today and is the real racism but if you point it out you are called the racist.

Many women have been "helped" with the physicals too which I have witnessed in person, In fact I was once remanded by a HR person for being too strict and for not being helpful when the women candidates could not lift the ladders onto the rig,(find a lighter ladder!) and when women could not scale a standard 6' fence they lowered it and put a space underneath for the hose to be dragged thru...WTF? So you all know who will be loading the ladders on and off the rig and does this simulate a real world fence!

No one will admit it publicly but the inside joke around the cities for the perfect hiring candidate is "A one legged black Lesbian that speaks Spanish!"

Reverse Racism is the true Racism

Updated news: Oakland Fire hiring fiasco part 2 - Oakland Fire chief picks his own son?
    Last edited by rocdad; 12-10-2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Updated news

Truckie

usndvr79- you are ignorant as you are clueless. If that is the basis of your argument, to bash me, instead of offering proof positive that is not what happened, despite what is plainly visible on the news video, wake up. Of course you do work for a department with an administration that though this "pick and chose" process was fair and unbiased. So it would lead me to believe you condone reverse discrimination. So whats worse?
    George Mason

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by usndvr79 View Post
    So quit your sniveling and just accept the fact if you have taken tests for years maybe you are doing something wrong and quit blaming others for your short comings.

Maybe you should learn a thing or two before you go stomping around here, trying to be the hero.

In fact, just go away. Your entire post is stupid. When you get done patting yourself on the back, trying to tell us all how 'great' you are, why don't you find out how long SPFD has been on the job.

Thumbs down fairness

This whole thing is amazing... this is 2007 right? I just dont know how this sort of thing is being allowed togo on simply amazing.

Fyi to add insult to injury this process is not for 20 positions that is the widely reported number of jobs but for a list as well they are expecting 50 positions filled from this selction process over the next two years.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/14766812/detail.html?taf=fran

http://cbs5.com/local/firefighter.ap....2.603577.html

http://www.foxreno.com/news/14766812....html?taf=reno

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_7616305

http://www.insidebayarea.com

http://www.kron4com/Global/story.asp?s=7450890

Thread Information