Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default w8, my pl8 says what?!

Man, this is pretty bad. This happened close to where I live. I bet this guy wondered why he was getting all the raised eyebrows.

Driver Says He Doesn't "HA8-JWZ"

Last Update:12/2/2007 10:24:49 AM
    Web Editor: Jake Wade

One Central Georgia driver says he got a new license plate that "drove" some people crazy.

Frank Gumina's 1971 Volkswagen Thing has license plate number HA8-JWZ.

Gumina says some people thought the plate spelled out an anti-Semitic message -- "hate Jews."

He says he drove around with the plate for more than three months before his mechanic pointed out the message.

The vehicle is registered as a hobby antique, hence the HA designation.

But Gumina says he never thought the rest of the plate had any meaning.

"No one handed me the plate and specifically pointed out the letters and the numbers and said 'this is what it says.' They just go to the stack of plates and take the next one off the top and the next customer gets that plate," said Gumina.

"So i was given the plate and it never registered."

Charles Willey with the Georgia Department of Revenue's tag office says getting a plate like Gumina's could happen to anyone.

"He just requested a hobby antique and they gave him the next one on the top of the pile," said Willey. "That's how he ended up with the one he's got."

"Now we're in the process of looking at all the Hobby Antique, or HA8 plates, to see if there's any others out there that may be offensive to someone."

Willey says statewide, more than 104,000 hobby antique plates have been issued this year. He says this is the first time anyone has called an HA plate "questionable."

Gumina says he won't drive the car until he gets a new plate.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local_sto...?storyid=46204
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

He was H8N what the DMV was ST8N on his PL8. B4 the next PL8, he W1LL CK 1T W1T H1Z friends to make sure it is AOK. CUZ he DNT WNT the BS. GUD4HYM.

I got a headache now, time for aspirin.

This reminds me of the thread where folks were getting ten codes put on the plates to be funny when cops ran the numbers. Example: Ours for repeat traffic on radio, 10-9..
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

My wife refused to accept a Plate a few years ago that started FLB-0000, said their was no way she was driving around with Flab on her car's *****.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

There was a plate issued by the State of Vermont a few years ago...

DYE 911

the new owner pointed it out to the state where it was quickly replaced..
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

I was at Fleet Farm the other day and I saw a lady get out of her nice Powerstroke with fire plates that read.

ISQURT

I almost died.

I was gonna post something bad here but I'm gonna refrain from it.

I'll just say this...

I would laugh my *** off at that plate everything I drove the vehicle

Forum Member

I just wonder now how many plates like this are out there and how often this happens without someone deliberately doing it.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    I just wonder now how many plates like this are out there and how often this happens without someone deliberately doing it.
    A few years ago, Missouri removed the letter combination of F-A-T due to a rather "rotund" lady that got one issued to her. It was just the luck of the draw; but as you can imagine, she was rather offended that they would allow such a combination. I forget how many plates had to be replaced around the state.

I knew a fellow who ordered a custom plate for his raised and detailed 4wd show truck.. U-R-B-LO-ME. (URBLOME)

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    I knew a fellow who ordered a custom plate for his raised and detailed 4wd show truck.. U-R-B-LO-ME. (URBLOME)
    That's kinda funny/strange because I just saw a plate this morning on the way to work, only it was missing the U-R so it just said BLO ME. Think someone had an attitude?

Forum Member
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

One that I saw in Memphis a few weeks ago, it took a while to figure out until I stopped behind the vehicle at a red light: Y-U-H8N-SO. (YUH8NSO)
    I also like the amature radio call signs, people who are non-hams trying to figure out the odd letter arrangements.. This was made worse by the ability to request personalized call signs a few years back.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Several years ago I read about a guy who wanted a vanity plate. He had to list three choices in case one or more was used, deemed offensive, etc. Since he could only think of two that he wanted, he wrote "NO PLATE" in the third blank. Guess what he wound up with.

Which sounds kinda cool until you consider that many vehicles with no tags are entered into his state's database with "NO PLATE" in the license column. How would you explain several thousand citations to your insurance agent?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Thread Information