Thread: Where To Begin?

Default Where To Begin?

*Note:* I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I'm new here.

Anywho, I'm a female 16 going on 17 teenager who has always dreamed of becoming a firefighter. I currently live in the DFW Tx area. I don't know where to start though!

Any suggestions? How hard is it to become a firefighter [volunteer or career]? I decided to start researching what I need to prioritize in order to achieve my goal by age 18, but it all seems so complicated. I'm not stupid, and I am a quick learner - yet I have no clue where to begin.

I haven't gone to any classes or programs. And if you suggest one, please make sure I'm not the oldest there. [A.K.A-Make sure I'm not stuck with children who started getting serious about this earlier than I]

Please forgive me for my poor grammar. I hope somebody here knows what I mean.

Forum Member

Have you tried the fire explorers program...the ages usually range from 14-20 or so. The explorers will let you see what fire fighting is mostly about. I just joined and I start a week from Tuesday with training and things. But if you have any questions you can PM me or just post on here. (Sorry if this doesn't help)
    Last edited by Futureemt73193; 12-10-2007 at 01:02 PM.
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

Forum Member

As stated, an Explorer type of program would be a good way to find out if this IS the job you would like to do. You may find a post by contacting the local Boy Scouts of America chapter, number should be in the phone book, and ask them if there are any fire dept explorer posts around. A post is made up of primarily youths 14 to 21, so you may not be the oldest, but not the youngest.

If that doesn't work out, look into a fire protection technician type of class at the local tech college. You don't have to have any prior FF experience to enroll, but it teaches you to become a FF. The big drawback is that if you find out FF isn't for you, you have spent a lot of money to find out. If you want to be a volunteer FF, check out a volly dept close to you as for getting on. Many times a volly department will send you to school for some FF training, and you will see if being a FF is right for you and if you want to stay volly or go career.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by renbrowninc View Post

Anywho, I'm a female 16 going on 17 teenager who has always dreamed of becoming a firefighter. I currently live in the DFW Tx area. I don't know where to start though!

Any suggestions? How hard is it to become a firefighter [volunteer or career]? I decided to start researching what I need to prioritize in order to achieve my goal by age 18, but it all seems so complicated. I'm not stupid, and I am a quick learner - yet I have no clue where to begin.

I haven't gone to any classes or programs. And if you suggest one, please make sure I'm not the oldest there. [A.K.A-Make sure I'm not stuck with children who started getting serious about this earlier than I]

Go to college and get a degree in Business or a similarly related degree. Then start applying to departments until you get hired. The college degree will come in handy not only during the hiring process, but also if the fire service doesn't work out for you.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

makes good girls go bad
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Options

An explorer program or a junior program is a great way to start. I started at the age of 15 and now 20 i am a firefighter in the Army National Guard looking at a full time position in MD. The military is an option that is worth looking at. I don't know if there are any school in TX that offer Fire Science as a degree but if there is you can get certified for FF2, Hazmat Ops 2, and ARFF. A big cert is ARFF that will get alot of atention from department on an application. Good luck to you, and always remember to train as if someone's life depends on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

What state are you in? The are other week long "camps" for girls that expose you to firefighting and will give you a feel for how it works. If you are interested PM me and I will give you the links for some programs.

Forum Member

I agree with what most here have said. Try an explorer program if you can.

One thing I gotta question though is this:
    "I decided to start researching what I need to prioritize in order to achieve my goal by age 18,"

Does this mean you would like to be hired by 18???? Please don't take this as me trying to deter you from your dream, but you might be hard pressed to get hired at that age. I don't know about the States, but a lot of places up here north of the border you would be very very very very lucky to get hired at 18. Most dept's want someone with a bit of life experiance behind them. A lot of 18 year olds don't really have that.

Keep at it though, your dream will come true eventaully.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I don't believe the basic recruit program is too difficult, at least not where I am. I've heard that FF 1 is difficult, and to become a full timer the course is VERY difficult. But, like everything else, if you put your mind and heart to it, you can do it.
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

Permanently Removed

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Gaefcke View Post
    The military is an option that is worth looking at.
    Ok, maybe I didn't eat my Wheaties this morning, or someone did something to them, but I am getting tired of seeing this. It was amusing at first, but now it is getting annoying.

Join the military to serve your country. If you wish to gain better discipline for yourself, earn money for school upon completion of your obligated service and be a part of something that does many things for ones community, both here were you serve and overseas, than join the military.

If you are joining the military to get 'x' amount of points bonus on a test, or to gain skills that you think might benefit you after your service, please do NOT join. You will be in for a rude awakening. Especially once you figure out that your needs and desires are not #1 on the militarys list of things to accomplish this day/week/month/year.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Ok, maybe I didn't eat my Wheaties this morning, or someone did something to them, but I am getting tired of seeing this. It was amusing at first, but now it is getting annoying.

Join the military to serve your country. If you wish to gain better discipline for yourself, earn money for school upon completion of your obligated service and be a part of something that does many things for ones community, both here were you serve and overseas, than join the military.

If you are joining the military to get 'x' amount of points bonus on a test, or to gain skills that you think might benefit you after your service, please do NOT join. You will be in for a rude awakening. Especially once you figure out that your needs and desires are not #1 on the militarys list of things to accomplish this day/week/month/year.

Shhh. Don't tell them what it's really like. Let them go to Basic and get their asses handed to them. I see it with our military here too. Guys get into the FF trade, get their Joureymen course, get out and go work Civi. Guys like me who would kill to be in that trade right now get shafted out of it and can't catch a break. So my advice to anyone who wants to "use the military" is don't because all your doing is wasting your own time, the instructors time and tax payers money.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Thread Information