Thread: Navy DC info

Default Navy DC info

Hi all, i have recently enlisted in the navy as a DC and right now i am looking for any information anybody has for this rating, i just really want to find out all i can find out about it before i actually go in so if anybody can just give me heads up on what its like, how much they like it, pros and cons, etc...that would be very helpfull. thanks very much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by todd2007 View Post
    Hi all, i have recently enlisted in the navy as a DC and right now i am looking for any information anybody has for this rating, i just really want to find out all i can find out about it before i actually go in so if anybody can just give me heads up on what its like, how much they like it, pros and cons, etc...that would be very helpfull. thanks very much.

Did DC for 5 years while in, 3 on an FFG 2 on a CVN. Tall and skinny of it is that as a DC you are responsible for inspecting, maintainence, and repair of firefighting, flooding equipment and fire suppression systems. You will learn fire suppression systems like AFFF, HALON (or equivelant now), CO2 flooding, restaurant hood systems and so on. You will also be responsible for maintain firefighting and damage control equipment in the repair lockers, (each ship is different for the number of lockers) you also take care of SCBA's or even old style OBA's, chem warfare equipment and so forth.

You will be assigned a position on a fire party and will work your way up to a more leadership position on the party. You will find yourself doing a lot of teaching and instructing of firefighting techniques and training others on equipment. Even though DC is a fire suppression type of rate, you primary job is to ensure the rest of the crew is trained to handle a fire or flooding emergency and you will find yourself doing more incident management than firefighting.

If you are looking at going Navy and DC to become a civilian firefighter, don't count on your Navy training. While you will learn a lot and much of what you learn can be applied in a career job, the training you receive will not be good enough to walk out of the service and onto a fire department. Your best chance of becoming a career firefighter is to get your fire protection degree after your enlistment and use your GI Bill money. Also take advantage of college courses offered while in the service as well as CLEP and DANTES test. Most of your college course will transfer to a degree program which limits the amount of schooling you will have to do.

After boot camp you go to A school, which I believe is Great Lakes. Upon graduation you will go to your command. For the first few days and such you will be taken around to check in and you get to learn the ship and so forth. The ship you go to will vary as far as your actual duties go. On a larger ship, Aircraft carrier and so forth, you will be assigned the DC division and can be sent to a different shop doing DC work. You will also stand a Sound and Security watch, working up to DC supervisor, etc. On a smaller ship, Cruisers, Destroyers, Frigates, you will be assigned the Repair Division and will be working side by side with HT's and MR's. You will take care of DC equipment, but will also help with the other's work as well, as they help you too. You may find yourself welding, brazing, plumbing, building and so forth. You will start out as a Sound Security watch, but will most likely also do other engineering watches like checking on air compressors, AC units, water desalination, diesels, etc. You will find yourself as a jack of all trades. All this will come to you as you go on, DC is a good rate and you do learn a lot, but don't expect it to help you get onto a career fire department out of the service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    DC is a good rate and you do learn a lot, but don't expect it to help you get onto a career fire department out of the service.
    Unless if you apply for a DoD Civilian Firefighter position at a Naval Shipyard Facility, which are hungry for shipboard qual'd firefighters.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thanks for all the help

Forum Member

Todd,

Was a DC from 94-98..The other reply from crabby was pretty well informed. My only add on is this. From my experience the smaller the ship the better. I was on an LSD, we worked with HT's and MR's ran the fire parties, did everything actually including flight deck crash and salvage since there were no ABH's or aviation ratings on board. A few friends who went to larger ships like carriers....got stuck in a single shop for there entire time, meaning one was assigned to the extinguisher shop, and for 4 years he worked on an repaired extinguishers, another one was assigned to the filter shop, he cleaned filters all day. Dont know how it is now but, we picked our orders in A school from the best in class to the worst in class, meaning if do bad in A school, your not gonna get a good pick. That was in 94 though, things may have changed.......good luck!!

MembersZone Subscriber

There is no more 'A' School per sey. There is the Basic Engineering Common Course. Gas Chamber and the burn building are the only class days from what I understand. The rest is self paced computer guided courses.

Modules 2 through 5 are centered around various aspects of the Damage Control rating, or roughly 17 days. I believe you have to complete Modules 6 through 8 also which are centered around the Electricans, Enginemen, or Gas Turbine rate specific.

Orders are now based off a "Needs of the Navy" outcome. You fill out the required "dream sheet" but they look at one block. Desire overseas or not.

Chances are, any person enlisting now is most likely to get BOHICa'd into overseas sea duty or, Iraq or Afganistan Individual Augmentee billets.

New Navy.

As for Big Deck vs Small Boy. Big deck ie- carrier...yes you will get placed in one shop and most likely stay in that shop until you advance in rank, you formally request a move with approval, or you transfer off the ship. You will also be required to wait in Liberty lines going to liberty overseas, and it starts high and works low. E1? hunker down it could be awhile. Those are some con's. Pro's- Larger duty sections, less watches. No out of rate watchstanding. Larger underway watch sections, also equals less watches and more sleep/time off.

Smaller ship- more outside engineering watches. more outside division influence upon Repair Div (namely MP Div whinning that R-Div has no work, so R-Div should clean their bilges). Smaller manning, smaller duty sections. Both inport and underway. My first six month deployment I spent as an Engine Room Operator (as first an undesignated fireman, then ERO when I made DC3) on the 6x6 schedule. Often inport you might very well be 6x6 but with days off after.
    Last edited by DocVBFDE14; 12-11-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Hey NCO,

If you were DC from 94-99, my guess is you were in A school at Treasure Island. I was there from Oct to Dec 1994. Went to the USS Aubrey Fitch (FFG-34) in Mayport, FL and then commissioned the USS Harry S Truman (CVN-75) in 1998. I'll definately agree that a small boy was much better than a big boy. Although, on the Truman there was regular rotation among the DC shops so no one was stuck in the same place.

Doc I got out in 1999 and was one of the last DC A-school classes to go through Treasure Island and that the DC A-school was moved to Great Lakes. Even before I got out in 99, we had DC coming from A-school in Great Lakes.

Everything from the way it sounds on the Military.com forums, is that the A-school is still around. What you went through sounds more like and undesignated ATC for engineering. DC being more specialized doesn't teach gas turbines, electricians, or engineman in the rate, that is stuff they may learn on a small boy. For the most part DC A-school still sounds like it is at Great Lakes and is still an 8 week course.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Clean yer own damn bilges Doc....

Ya, that's from an Ex BT, ok when I got out in 99 they converted us to MM. Bravo Zulu to Doc, Crabby, and NCO. I believe you three hit everything on the head. I've heard the "New Navy" is really something else. I do agree with JC on the ship though. I was on the Josephus Daniels CG-27 and had ALOT more fun the the Wasp LH(D?)-1. Did Med cruises on both and the JD was sooooo much more fun. Not as many politics and the small boys can usually get pierside where the bog boys gotta anchor out. Oh ya, I read an article the other day from the base newpaper of the Subase in Groton, CT, that DC, HT, and I believe MR, are all getting combined. Seems as though quite a few ratings have been combined over the last 8 years.

I was in from 90-99 and was home ported out on the East Coast. First ship was AS-33 Simon Lake out of Holyloch Scotland, rode the ship back stateside and transferred to the JD. Then did 5 years at NOB Norfolk (4 Ships, decommed 3).

Good luck Todd.

Forum Member

JCCRABBY,

Ive sent you an email....we were in the same class in A school, it just hit me......13 years....pretty wild!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCO324 View Post
    JCCRABBY,

Ive sent you an email....we were in the same class in A school, it just hit me......13 years....pretty wild!

Sorry, didn't get it. You can try at
    jccrabby@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Doc I got out in 1999 and was one of the last DC A-school classes to go through Treasure Island and that the DC A-school was moved to Great Lakes. Even before I got out in 99, we had DC coming from A-school in Great Lakes.

Everything from the way it sounds on the Military.com forums, is that the A-school is still around. What you went through sounds more like and undesignated ATC for engineering. DC being more specialized doesn't teach gas turbines, electricians, or engineman in the rate, that is stuff they may learn on a small boy. For the most part DC A-school still sounds like it is at Great Lakes and is still an 8 week course.
    Nah. I went through the standard 8 week DC 'A' School course. As a Fleet Returnee I didn't do much, so I pretty much had eight weeks of liberty

Now however, they have moved the classroom portion all onto computers. Here is the link of the new "engineering" training program.

http://www.dcfp.navy.mil/train/cne/becc.htm
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Default Damn Doc.....

I just looked over that thread and boy, did it bring back memories. I can remember lighting fires in the 1200 psi boiler aboard the Josephus Daniels CG-27 like it was yesterday. 38+ hours in the bioler reassembling the steam drum so we could steam back to the good ol USofA in Palma Spain. Or extinguishing fires for the last time aboard Savannah AOR-3. My ESWS Board on the AOR-3..... Performing BECCE's aboard Simon Lake AS-33. All that fun, blood, sweat, tears, laughter!! Memories...........

Forum Member

Crabby....sent you an email at jccrabby@yahoo and sent it again today as well....hope ya get it!

Forum Member

Greeting from Texas guys! I am a 32 year old married firefighter. I've been a firefighter for 13 years now......last 3 at DFW Airport. Lately I've been thinking about the Naval Reserves. (My grandfather was in the Navy during WWII and I have always thought about going in that branch more than most.) Just really getting going on this but looking at DC. Whats ya'll guys thoughts? Thanks!

Forum Member

Hi Chris would you mind if I sent you a pm to ask you some questions about DFW Fire Dept?

Thanks, Lane

Forum Member

Sure! Go ahead!

Thread Information