Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default jobs in virginia

I am currently a Fire Captain/EMT-B in Louisiana. I am looking into possibly relocating to Virginia. I am 42 years old and have been a firefighter for over 23 years with 22 being career. Does anyone know of a department hiring an experienced firefighter that would not require an academy? I know that some smaller departments do this to get experience on their department. Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Member

I dont know of specific departments. But this link might aid in your research. This site updates job postings often.

http://www.vafirenews.com/employment/index.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thanks. I'm sure it will be helpful.

Virginia is a relatively big state. What area are you looking to move to?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I agree, Virginia is a big state, is there a particular area you'd want to move to? Here in Central Virginia, a couple of departments (Henrico, Chesterfield) do a modified school for some people with prior experience, but even these modified schools are generally about 8 weeks long.

I personnally don't know of any career departments of any size that won't make you complete some duration of recruit school.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't have any particular area in mind. Would like somewhere close to Roanoke but open to anywhere in the state. I have no real problem with some type of smaller academy. I kind of expected that. Just would like to avoid a full blown academy if possible.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

True career departments aren't all that plentiful in the Roanoke area. Roanoke County (combination), Roanoke City (career), and the City of Salem (career) are kind of what you're limited to. Botetourt County has been hiring some daytime staff to suppliment the volunteers.

You might want to send a PM to FireFleitz here on the forums. He's a Roanoke City lieutenant, and also runs a blog for the Roanoke Valley fire service, and can give you a lot of good information about the area.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the information. I'll do that.

MembersZone Subscriber FireCritic's Avatar

Thanks for the nod BoxAlarm. I only wish that more departments sent in the information to VAFireNews.com on hiring. It is amazing how so many departments will spend so much money on recruitment and retention but not send in a heads up to a free website that gets so much traffic from people searching for jobs in VA.

Roanoke does not offer any modified recruit schools for people with experience. I would tell you to ask the Chief, but I don't think anyone wants to work for Roanoke with special considerations. I think the guys would eat them up.

As for the surrounding areas, Franklin County, Botetourt County, Bedford County, and Amherst County is where I would look. They are just beginning to hire (within the past year to several years) and pretty much are looking for trained Firefighter/EMT's to ride the ambulances right now. In the future, they will grow and start staffing the engines. Amherst County is already there I believe.
    Last edited by FireFleitz; 12-12-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information