Forum Member

Default 9/11 sickness a hoax...

...says this guy.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12032007...yth_620852.htm

The terms of my current employment do not allow me to email the paper to disagree, but I certainly think that we need to do a better job of raising awareness about this issue.

Forum Member

Adam Brodsky, New York Post, Mutt. What do these 3 things have in common ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

You should probably read the article before you react.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    What he said.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

It looks hot in there

The article in question so much does not say that the 9/11 Sickness is a hoax, but much more that the deaths that have occurred, that some say are 9/11 related health issues, are not.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    Mark this date on your calendars -- I agree with johnny.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

I kinda got the impression that he was trying to imply that that anyone claiming to be ill from complications from 9/11 is just using that as an excuse to cover up other health problems not linked to 9/11.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    Adam Brodsky, New York Post, Mutt. What do these 3 things have in common ?
    Don't blaim the columnist for the poor headline written by the copy editor. However it did get folks attention.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    I kinda got the impression that he was trying to imply that that anyone claiming to be ill from complications from 9/11 is just using that as an excuse to cover up other health problems not linked to 9/11.
    Only to a point, what most know, is that the dust ingested during the 9/11 cleanup can only be attributed currently, to have aggravated current problems, or brought on new problems that some have not suffered from previously. Some of the cases that were noted in the article were clearly done so as those have been the most public. None of the illnesses that have been related to 9/11 can be linked as the factor that CAUSED the death, it may have made a prior problem worse, but was not the sole problem.

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

I had an uncle who died six years ago from mesothelioma, a condition caused by exposure to asbestos dust. His case was traced back to a ship collision while he was in the Navy in the early 1950's. He was a fireman in one of the ship's boiler rooms.

A lot of the 9/11 cases may not manifest themselves for years.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    This is the reason that we have fought long and hard for presumptive legislation.

I don't think anyone can argue that breathing that crap from the towers, in pulverized powder form, for months on end, won't cause a whole host of health issues. The least of which is death.

It looks hot in there

I had an uncle who died six years ago from mesothelioma, a condition caused by exposure to asbestos dust. His case was traced back to a ship collision while he was in the Navy in the early 1950's. He was a fireman in one of the ship's boiler rooms.

I think it'll be minimum of another 10-15 years before the full scope of this will be realized.

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

I did read the article before I posted. I stand by my original assessment. I think the author comes off sounding like a patronizing jackass. If you think people working on that pile arent or arent getting sick, you are a jackass too.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

It looks hot in there

I did read the article before I posted. I stand by my original assessment. I think the author comes off sounding like a patronizing jackass. If you think people working on that pile arent or arent getting sick, you are a jackass too.
    I don't think anyone here is saying that people that worked on the pile are NOT getting sick..that's an obvious given. But what this article IS saying is that the deaths(citied in this article)that have occurred and were blamed on 9/11 sickness have NOT been caused solely by the dust.

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Like I said before, I read the article. I also was able to read between the lines. The author comes off just a bit too glib for my liking.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

It looks hot in there

The author comes off just a bit too glib for my liking.
    Oh, I don't disagree..he does seem like a bit of a pretentious jackass.

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

No one denies that 9/11 workers, especially those who worked long hours and shunned respirators, have experienced illnesses - coughs, runny noses, other respiratory maladies and worse. Some may contract 9/11-linked diseases in the future.
    This doesn't appear to deny illnesses. It's flippant, but it doesn't deny illnesses--it merely gives more time to less serious effects and passing vague mention to "worse."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PureAdrenalin View Post
    I think it'll be minimum of another 10-15 years before the full scope of this will be realized.

I agree. You don't get cancer right away after you start smoking. Give it sometime and we will see more deaths from 9/11 arise.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

MembersZone Subscriber

To me it seemed the author was trying to tell another side of the story but it was obviously jaded to one side, not done objectively at all like the media should be.

I also think we won't see any serious signs of illness for 20 years or better.... just like Agent Orange in Vietnam
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    To me it seemed the author was trying to tell another side of the story but it was obviously jaded to one side, not done objectively at all like the media should be.
    He is not a reporter, he is a columnist and is suppossed to take and push one side of the story, a legit newspaper will have other columnists with an opposing point of view who can take up the issue for the other side if they so choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I also think we won't see any serious signs of illness for 20 years or better.... just like Agent Orange in Vietnam
    Guys were dieing from Agent Orange after less than a decade, although many of them were exposed for far longer than it took to clear Ground Zero.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

I'm sure that there aren't a lot of definitive studies after only 6 or 7 years. That asbestos is a long-run killer for sure.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Forum Member

I don't think anyone here is saying that people that worked on the pile are NOT getting sick..that's an obvious given. But what this article IS saying is that the deaths(citied in this article)that have occurred and were blamed on 9/11 sickness have NOT been caused solely by the dust.
    I think we need to be very careful in how we look at these deaths, especially when we say things like "9/11 dust was not the sole contributor to the death."

I'm not a doctor. But I do know a thing or two about insurance companies and weasels. If someone's involved in an event that leads to their death, the arguement can be very easily made that other things could be attributed to their death as well.

For example and example only:
    9/11 dust alone did not cause the death of Mr. So Andso, a life of high-stress environments caused complications that agitated his poor health following 9/11.

9/11 dust may not have caused the death of Mr. Whats Hisface, he smoked for 10years straight and even though he quit a decade before the attacks, we cannot be 100% sure that the dust alone would have caused his death.

9/11 dust alone did not cause the death of Mr. Whowants Toknow. While reviewing his history, we also noted that he had struggles with diabetes and a suffered a stroke in 2003, which may have played a key role in contributing to his death.

Obviously those are dramatizations of course, but so much happens over the course of a person's life that the guys sitting on that $1 Billion could go on all day about other contributing factors to these deaths. It is kind of like getting in a car wreck. It doesn't matter if the log hanging off the back of the logging truck goes through your head, the insurance companies still get to ask whether or not you were wearing your seatbelt. As long as they've got the scientists to "prove" that the unnatural particles inhaled at Ground Zero were not directly responsible, people like Adam Brodsky will always deny it was a direct cause. The only problem is, in order to prove that the unnatural particles are directly responsible, someone would have to die a matter of seconds after inhaling the stuff, or otherwise be perfectly healthy without any biological flaw or harmful medical condition (which would mean they've had one hell of an immune system their entire life, which would make for a perfect specimen of a human being, which won't exist naturally). It can be a very underhanded, below-the-belt kind of tactic to get out of paying.
    Last edited by GodSendRain; 12-05-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

It looks hot in there

I'm only saying that as the article stated the same. I have no doubt that the stuff inhaled is killing people, and will kill. All I'm saying that in the deaths that were cited in the article said that the 9/11 dust was not the sole cause.

www.vententersearch.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm only saying that as the article stated the same. I have no doubt that the stuff inhaled is killing people, and will kill. All I'm saying that in the deaths that were cited in the article said that the 9/11 dust was not the sole cause.
    I very much agree with PureAdrenalin on this point. If there gets to be more and more deaths blamed on toxic dust inhalation on the pile, then many are found to be without foundation, the people truly affected in 5, 10, 15, 40 years will be the real losers as their exposure will not receive the attention it deserves. Things like asbestosis, miners lung, PCB exposure only come to light after several or many years. If we get bogus claims, then many people will not receive the help and attention they derserve.

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    I very much agree with PureAdrenalin on this point. If there gets to be more and more deaths blamed on toxic dust inhalation on the pile, then many are found to be without foundation, the people truly affected in 5, 10, 15, 40 years will be the real losers as their exposure will not receive the attention it deserves. Things like asbestosis, miners lung, PCB exposure only come to light after several or many years. If we get bogus claims, then many people will not receive the help and attention they derserve.
    And we can almost be sure that we ARE going to see these issues come up, if the PT had NO prior history, including simple things like hypertension or even a funky cholesterol level once, then die as a result of some sort of respiratory problem then..yeah..it can be said THAT was the problem. The issue is that the governement is going to say that it's not the cause, as they have said from day one that the stuff isn't toxic..somehow..we see differently.

www.vententersearch.com

Thread Information