Forum Member

Default Firecom service support (or lack of)

I’m having a difficult time getting simple maintenance items for my FireCom and Panther intercom systems.

The “Territory Manager” has been promising me since June 2007 to send me some ear covers and boom mic covers. After numerous emails and phone calls, he is still “checking to see why I didn’t get the items” he promised me.

What ticks me off is that we have spent over 30K on FireCom systems (including a Panther aerial intercom) in the past two years alone.

Can any FireCom users on the forum tell me if they’ve had similar experiences? I’m trying to decide if this is a typical example of their customer service.

If I don't get some results soon, I can forsee a change order when I go for a Precon on a new truck in January. Stay tuned. I may be asking for reviews for users on David Clark and Sigtronics systems.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

C6

MembersZone Subscriber

C6: Please keep us informed on this issue as we have just specced Firecom n our new Rescue Pumper as we're unhappy with the David Clark system we have in our 2006 Tower. Shoot me a PM if you'd like details or a review of the David Clark issues.

Forum Member

Default I maybe able to help

C6, where are you located? I work for the New England FireCom Dealer (not FireCom). Send me a private message if you want.

Let's talk fire trucks!

We use a 6-year-old FireCom system at the VFD, and honestly, we'll be looking at either Sigtronics or David Clark for the new rescue-pumper we're specing. We've had a number of problems with the wiring in the FireComs, we've replaced 5 headsets in the past 6 years (keep in mind, this rig is running less than 250 calls a year).

We've been using David Clark's at work since 1997. I won't ever say that they're indestructable (this IS the fire service, right?), but the construction of the DC's outweigh the FireCom's greatly.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    We've been using David Clark's at work since 1997. I won't ever say that they're indestructable (this IS the fire service, right?), but the construction of the DC's outweigh the FireCom's greatly.
    I would love to find one that is at least less indestructable. We've got some David Clark and some Sigtronics at work, both have issues. However, the Sigtronics, though not as comfortable in my opinion, seem to be holding up better. What really burned me was the day I got the gel in the DC ear-piece all over me because it busted at the seam.

The department to the north of my vollie department uses FireCom. I'll see if I can get a hold of a buddy I've got that works there and see how things are going for them, particularly on the repair/maintenance end.

Forum Member

Every FireCom I have ever had the displeasure of using has come apart or failed in some fashion. We eventually wound up tearing them out of our apparatus.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    I’m having a difficult time getting simple maintenance items for my FireCom and Panther intercom systems.

The “Territory Manager” has been promising me since June 2007 to send me some ear covers and boom mic covers. After numerous emails and phone calls, he is still “checking to see why I didn’t get the items” he promised me.

What ticks me off is that we have spent over 30K on FireCom systems (including a Panther aerial intercom) in the past two years alone.

Can any FireCom users on the forum tell me if they’ve had similar experiences? I’m trying to decide if this is a typical example of their customer service.

If I don't get some results soon, I can forsee a change order when I go for a Precon on a new truck in January. Stay tuned. I may be asking for reviews for users on David Clark and Sigtronics systems.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

C6
    What area are you in? I have some headsets that need to go in for some repairs, and my regional rep has so far been responsive. I'll keep you updated. I have some contact info that might be helpful of a couple of people that handle service at the corporate level, shoot me a PM if you're interested in it.

It has taken us a while to start really using our intercoms, so we've had some failures as of late. Primarily, we have some where a screw that holds the boom in place strips out, which I'm told was a problem with a specific run of the equipment.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Default De ja vue

You know, I just remember a conversation I had with a Sigtronics sales rep about a year ago. I told the gentleman he was just a little late as we had just wrapped up an intercom project in which we converted all our existing units with intercoms to exclusively FireCom.

He said, "I'll check back with you in a year to see if you're still happy with them."

At the time I thought that was "salesman talk." Now I'm wondering: Did he know something I didn't?

C6
    Last edited by Command6; 12-05-2007 at 12:15 AM. Reason: insert omitted word

Forum Member

We have a few Sigtronic systems and about to order another rig with them. So far so good.
    We also have a boat under construction with Metalcraft Marine and while back doing our pre-con in August the guys from a company called PirateCom were there doing a demo. I was very impressed with their equipment. It was designed mainly for the offshore race boats but they have been tapping tapping into other markets. Check them out at http://www.piratecom.com/

Forum Member

Default Update

I have made progress. I'll post something shortly.

Forum Member

Default Progress made

I received a call from the Territory Manager today.

He says he will be shipping my items out today.

After six months of unsuccessful efforts, I get results in 24 ˝ hours after my first post on the issue.

Thanks to the individual(s) who offered their help.

All hail the power of THE FIREHOUSE FORUM.

I'll let you guys know when I get my stuff.

C6

Forum Member

We had Firecoms in all our rigs until they all broke. I can't speak to the manufacturer's service, because we turned the county's radio/electrical dept loose on them. They were uncomfortable, poorly constructed, easily broken, and more trouble than they were worth. I used to get a headache from wearing them. Now we have no intercoms at all.

Forum Member

Command6,

I am a dealer, if you ever need anything in the future you can pm me and I'll be glad to help.

Some Guy

David and Clark here. We love them
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MurphysFireKC View Post
    Command6,

I am a dealer, if you ever need anything in the future you can pm me and I'll be glad to help.
    Thanks KC,

I'll keep you in mind.

Forum Member

Thanks to the individual(s) who offered their help.

All hail the power of THE FIREHOUSE FORUM.

I'll let you guys know when I get my stuff.

C6
    I received the items this morning.

Thanks to everyone again for all your help.

C6

Forum Member

Been using FireCom for about 10 years. Never have had an issue. Easy to install, never require service. Audio quality trans and rec is great. I can't think of ever having to replace or fix a headset. We have never had a problem interfacing to any radio. The schematics they provide and interface cables have always been right on. I have been in trucks with David Clark and Sigtronics. They appear to be a good product also. I've talked with other departments nearby and no one has had any issues with any headset manufacturers. I can't imagine what your guys do to break these units to the point that you have to remove them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zfdtruckman View Post
    Been using FireCom for about 10 years. Never have had an issue. Easy to install, never require service. Audio quality trans and rec is great. I can't think of ever having to replace or fix a headset. We have never had a problem interfacing to any radio. The schematics they provide and interface cables have always been right on. I have been in trucks with David Clark and Sigtronics. They appear to be a good product also. I've talked with other departments nearby and no one has had any issues with any headset manufacturers. I can't imagine what your guys do to break these units to the point that you have to remove them.
    We are talking firefighters here; they can destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Our issues were wear and tear items though: torn mic covers, fabric ear covers falling off, velcro on the head straps separating.

Forum Member

Hello.

If you are having any issues with our products, please do not hesitate to contact our repairs and returns division to get quality service. It may simply be a faulty piece on an otherwise fine product. We do offer a two year warranty on our products.
    Thank you.

-Firecom

Forum Member

Default FireCom!!

I once thought Firecom sucked until I got rid of my $5 plastic crimpers bought at Lowe's, and bought a good $60 pair off the tool truck. I then found out that I was causing the problems with the system. I've only needed thier tech assistance once because some jack leg radio installer thought he knew how to install a radio interface in a VFD's Firecom system. I called the # on the paperwork left in the unit and 30 mins. later we had awsome xmit and rcv. Never worked on a David Clark but would rather take a butt whoop'n than to ever work on a Sigtronics again. Remember, this is the point of view from somebody that repairs fire trucks, I leave it to you guys to break 'em. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
    Last edited by evtrandy; 08-29-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirecomSupport View Post
    Hello.

If you are having any issues with our products, please do not hesitate to contact our repairs and returns division to get quality service. It may simply be a faulty piece on an otherwise fine product. We do offer a two year warranty on our products.
    Thank you.

-Firecom
    Can you provide some contact info?

C6

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

my 2 cents, we use firecom in 4 ambulances, 2 engines and 1 pumper/tender. Yah we have a few problems, as far as parts I just order directly from the factory. I do not even know who my rep is? Anyways i am sure interested in the new wireless headsets, beings most of our problems are with the plugs from wear and tear. Specing a new engine and have looked at David Clark and system is totally different and a lot more money. But we are looking.

MembersZone Subscriber

Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Cool Do any of them work well?

My question is which one actually does hold up for any length of time? Having had experience with all three mfgs mentioned, none of them seem to be worth very much or very durable. And I find the scary part is that all three of these make similiar systems for the military...hope their militiary versions are better than what they pawn off on the fire service.
    Pray for the dead, fight like hell for the living! - Mother Jones

Forum Member

Firebill911, feel free to message me on here or at sales@firecom.com and I can get you the contact information for your local territory manager (sales rep).
    It is based on what state your company is located.
    Thank you.

Forum Member

Can you provide some contact info?

C6
    You can reach us via phone or email. Apparently I cannot post our phone number or our website address on this forum, but you can write to sales@firecom.com . Alternatively, you may send me a message on here and I can provide our complete contact information.
    Thank you.

Thread Information