Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for a particular type of halligan bar...

When we were doing our extrication class in Fire 2, the one rescue truck we were using had a halligan bar on it with a round shaft and knurled (checkered) grips on both ends. my google-fu seems to be weak in this area...

so does anyone know the manufacturer? We're looking to add a set of irons to the inside cab of our one truck and i'm pushing for this type of halligan. just need a name and prices.

Forum Member

That sounds like a pinned, three-piece bar I have seen. Personally, I'd recommend getting a 30" Pro-Bar from Fire Hooks Unlimited. It is a true Halligan, one-piece drop forged, built to FDNY specs. Most of the others may claim to be a Halligan Bar, some even try to look like one, but if it isn't built the same as the one above, then it is not a functional Halligan Bar.

http://firehooksunlimited.net/probars.html

The Pro Bar may cost a little more than some of the others (around $190) but it last forever unlike many of the imitations out there.

http://www.allhandsfire.com/page/AHF/CTGY/forcibleentry

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Pro bar or no bar!

30" Pro-Bar There really is no other. 37Truck summed it up very well, but I'll add that the 30" Pro Bar marries up perfectly with the flat head ax to create the irons. The forks are just right to accept the axe blade (some axes need minor adjustment) and the length is just right for the axe handle.

Forum Member

Your info lists Goshen...what state?

MembersZone Subscriber

Wouldn't it be cool if you could get custom fit for tools like you get custom fit for golf clubs? Grips, angle, weight, shaft length... Wait a minute, there is a business plan in there somewhere.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

I think you are describing a paratech bar. The pro-bar is much better and strudier.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

like i said, i'm not sure who makes it, but i really liked the knurled/checkered grips...

new jersey

Forum Member

The issue with the bar you are most likely refering to is the thickness of the fork, the adz is too straight, and the pinned parts break easily. You can easily improve the grip of the Pro Bar if so desired. Personally, I like it to stay clean so that it slides through my hand when I use any technique that requires swing the tool.

If you want to improve the grip, tape it like a hockey stick shaft.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is the pararech bar. It has ends that can be removed if damaged and the fork end is very thick.
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...standard_claw/
    Others have said go with the Pro bar it is one piece forged bar. I agree that the pro bar is better but if you really want the best go titanium. It is lighter and stronger but it costs more
    http://www.ticotitanium.com/firetool.php

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fddd160 View Post
    but if you really want the best go titanium. It is lighter and stronger but it costs more
    http://www.ticotitanium.com/firetool.php
    Did you notice where it says..."eliminate hundreds of pounds of energy"?

I didn't think that's something we wanted in a FORCIBLE ENTRY tool.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Using a titanium Halligan would be like using one of those chromed aluminum parade axes. Physics apply, without tool weight you are going to have to make up the difference by either increasing the velocity or by increasing the force applied to get the same result...either way that's more work that you'll have to do. This is the same argument for 6 lbs vs 8 lbs axes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 37truck View Post
    The issue with the bar you are most likely refering to is the thickness of the fork, the adz is too straight, and the pinned parts break easily. You can easily improve the grip of the Pro Bar if so desired. Personally, I like it to stay clean so that it slides through my hand when I use any technique that requires swing the tool.
    37truck, have you ever seen one of those pinned bars break in an actual rescue situation? You're right, the fork is a little thick for most applications, but a straight adz is good to have over a curved one in certain areas.

I don't see how anything can be any worse than the "Zak Tool".
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Another vote for Pro Bar. The forks also marry perfectly for extending your leverage by using two Halligans, if you're using the adz.

I've used countless tools with rollpins. Rollpins are the devil. They don't come out when you want them to, they do when you don't. They are a bitch to punch without a rollpin punch. I do not trust pinned tools, either.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Purdue03b View Post
    37truck, have you ever seen one of those pinned bars break in an actual rescue situation? You're right, the fork is a little thick for most applications, but a straight adz is good to have over a curved one in certain areas.
    They are a potential point of failure and their is no reason to purchase such a tool when there is an alternative

Why would you want a straight adz? What advantage does this give you...leverage, mechanical advantage?

Have you ever used a pro-bar?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    They are a potential point of failure and their is no reason to purchase such a tool when there is an alternative

Why would you want a straight adz? What advantage does this give you...leverage, mechanical advantage?

FTM-PTB
    FFFRED Hits it right on the nose. We do not use the pinned type...We have original (Hugh) Halligans and Pro Bars on our rigs. I have tried them in training, but would never want one...even if it was free. As for the pinned bars at FDIC a few years ago I saw the aftermath of 30 or so broken (in multiple places on the bars) Para Tech pinned Halligan want-a-be bars. The older Hugh Halligan Bars have a straight adz, and it does not function near as well as the K-Tool update of the Pro Bar. I am not saying that anyone has to buy a Pro Bar brand Halligan, I am saying buy one that meets FDNY specs. Pro Bar is the most popular and least expensive (due to the volume of them produced) of the FDNY spec bars on the market. In my personal opinion, if your doing any real forcible entry, anything other than an FDNY spec bar is not going to get the job done.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why would you want a straight adz? FTM-PTB
    They are defintely better on longer putts.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

FTM-PTB
    It's easier to get a straight adz in when pounding on the flat end with an axe, you never have to tilt it to get the adz into the opening, and when pounding it in, it automatically begins to spread/open the area. You do give up a little in leverage vs. the rounded shape of the curved adz, so yes, there is an advantage to the newer shape.

I have never used a Pro-bar, but I have used a one-piece from another company.

To 37truck:
    So you've never seen one actually break in a real-life actual rescue situation? Just at FDIC? It seems that everyone I talk to has never seen one break at the pins in a real scenario, just the bar breaking at FDIC. So, would you say the pins broke, or did the handle itself break? Let's be honest, and say what really breaks, not just generalize. I'm glad you've found a great tool in the Pro-Bar, but to denigrate another tool when you've never had it fail on you personally in a rescue isn't fair. That's like me saying don't buy a Ford because I hear they break all the time, but I've never owned or driven one. They must be doing something right, they sell a heck of a lot of vehicles.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Purdue03b View Post
    It's easier to get a straight adz in when pounding on the flat end with an axe, you never have to tilt it to get the adz into the opening, and when pounding it in, it automatically begins to spread/open the area. You do give up a little in leverage vs. the rounded shape of the curved adz, so yes, there is an advantage to the newer shape.

I have never used a Pro-bar, but I have used a one-piece from another company.
    Do you know what you are even talking about?

Never have to tilt to get the "adz" into the opening? NEVER?

The adz is the "flat end" the forks or claw is the one that is primarily used to slip around a door or jamb and pop the door free.

The Pro-bar Adz isn't flat which is what I was refering to...it has a curve which ads in some mechanical advantage when using that end for leverage.

To 37truck:
    So you've never seen one actually break in a real-life actual rescue situation? Just at FDIC? It seems that everyone I talk to has never seen one break at the pins in a real scenario, just the bar breaking at FDIC. So, would you say the pins broke, or did the handle itself break? Let's be honest, and say what really breaks, not just generalize. I'm glad you've found a great tool in the Pro-Bar, but to denigrate another tool when you've never had it fail on you personally in a rescue isn't fair. That's like me saying don't buy a Ford because I hear they break all the time, but I've never owned or driven one. They must be doing something right, they sell a heck of a lot of vehicles.
    I've used pinned ones in my former job and pro-bars in my current one...I can't see how anyone could even make the argument for anything other than the pro-bar.

The Pro-Bar is the result of the evolution that began with Chief Hugh Halligans modification of the claw tool and the Kelly Tool (Capt Kelly Lad 163). It has been tested, evaluated and modified to where it is today and is the most efficent forcible entry tool around. I assure you, if it works for us and our doors, it will work in your town.

The original Halligans didn't have the curved forks, the pro-bar was a modification that improved upon them. Why anyone would want one of those bulky pined types with no appricable curve? It would be ignoring improvements made to the Halligan since its creation.

Clearly you don't force doors all that often...otherwise you'd be wondering the same thing we are...why would anyone want any other tool than the Pro-bar?

PS-In regards to the pinned tools breaking...have you ever seen a pro-bar even broken? I haven't.

You can use whatever tool you like...I just don't know why you would want to work harder using a less effiecent tool? Unless that is you sell those things and have a vested interest in not seeing them castigated on a public forum....

FTM-PTB

Thread Information