MembersZone Subscriber

Default 7am or 8am start?

Our department currently starts 24-48 at 8am. Some of us are wondering about changing it. Anyone haves ideas for or against it?

Let's talk fire trucks!

We do 7AM shift change. This does mean that we have to get up at oh-dark-thirty for work, but we don't generally have to fight traffic before or after work. We have a lot of members that live 30-60 minutes from their stations, so if you have that same issue, it's something to keep in mind.

I'm not a morning person at all, but I do like getting off an "hour early" every morning compared to all of the other surrounding departments.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Our official day tour start time is 0800, but almost everyone comes in between 7 and 7:15. I prefer coming in earlier. Like Box said, you miss more traffic. Also the night tour (or the previous shift) can get home in time to get kids to school.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

Forum Member

Same as upstater, we change at 8, but just about evryone is in between 7 and 7:15, with a few trailing in around 7:30.

Why are you looking to make the change?

Let's talk fire trucks!

I guess I should have clarified like the others -- most of our folks are at work between 5:45 and 6:20AM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

There are a few reasons I would like to see it change. Starting at 8 but the time we get radio check finished and the trucks checked in it seams like we get interupted by a call. 2nd we only make $9.98 an hour and have to work 2nd jobs to make ends meet and most places want you to be at work before 8:30. Thanks for the input guy.

MembersZone Subscriber

I worked at a department with a 0600 shift change. Being a morning person, I loved it. I got home and really had a full day to do whatever. The night owls hated the 0600 shift change with a passion.

My current department has a 0800 shift change which leaves me playing catch-up all day when I get off to work my second job. I also have to take leave time when I'm taking scouts on trips Saturday mornings, etc., which is a bit inconvenient.

0700 makes for a pretty good compromise - not too early and not too late. Would your commuters benefit from less traffic with a 0700 change?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

We do 0700. Most guys get here early. Some of us a little closer to the whistle, a cross between not being a morning person and daycare not opening until 0645

Forum Member

We change here at 7:00 ... It help's the guys with second job and what not... But can be little hard on the one's were both parent's work and taking kids to day care or school... Most guy's get here around 6:30 to 6:45 with the rest pushing right up to 7:00...

Jason

Forum Member

We used to be 06:55 (the time the horse trolley would stop in front of station #1 way back when) until it was changed two chiefs ago for no reason...kill tradition.

We start at 07:00. My crew is usually there by 06:30. Like everyone else has posted you get to miss the morning traffic rush.

Forum Member

We do the 07:00 shift change. The only thing I don't like about it is that nothing opens(except Home Depot) until around 09:00, so you have a 2hr waiting time. Other than that I have no complaints.

MembersZone Subscriber

Official shift changes are 0800 and 1700. Some guys walk in the door 30 seconds before shift change, other 1/2 to 1 hour before. We had a guy a few years ago who would sit in his car outside the station until 1 minute before shift change.

I have always been an early reliever. Old habits are hard to break-my shift starts at 0830, but I am usually in between 0715 and 0730. In my position, I do not relieve anyone. It gives me a chance to see and talk to the night shift before I start the day.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our shift change is at 0900 and 1800 hrs.

One thing to consider is when do more of your runs occur? I would say there are more runs around 0900 than 0700 or 0800 as more people are awake and out doing things...businesses are open...flames are being lit, cars being driven...etc.

Thus more runs at 0900 mean more OT for late runs as shift change hasn't occured yet if the runs come in a 0847. 0854...etc. More OT and more $$$ to support your family with.

I wouln't let your admin in on this fact if you want the time changed to where your union would like it.

Best of luck.

PS- I know of some Depts in Texas that change tours at Noon or 11 am!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    We used to be 06:55 (the time the horse trolley would stop in front of station #1 way back when) until it was changed two chiefs ago for no reason...kill tradition.
    Now that is interesting...change for the sake of change...this one can be put up with the depts that change the numbers of the ladders to correspond with the Engines in quarters with them for no reason.

I'd have to say thats probably the craziest shift time change and reason I've ever heard of. I doubt anyone can top that.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post

We start at 07:00. My crew is usually there by 06:30. Like everyone else has posted you get to miss the morning traffic rush.
    What if the horse was late?

We start at 08:00 and 18:00.

There are those who are in "on the dot", and there are those who come in early to relieve their brothers/sisters. Funny how those who are "on the dotters" want to grab the first one in the door and ask them to relieve them...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

0700 for all personnel except the dayweenies!!!

Some Guy

08:00 and 18:00 as per contract. By tradition we always change at 07:30 and 17:30.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

our department is a combination department with 2 shift types. a 12.5 hour shift and a 24 hour shift. All shifts begin at 0530.....12.5 guys get off at 1800 and the 24 hour guys get off at 0530 the next day. very nice if you are a morning person, allows you to have time to get some sleep but still have a whole day to do whatever while you are off.

MembersZone Subscriber

Banker's hours here! Shift change at 0900. 24 hour modified detroit schedule. It's great going to work at 0900 (I'm not a morning person), but getting off at 0900 is a drag. By the time I get home half the day is gone.

Permanently Removed

I donít care for the 7am change. I think 8am is ideal.

My friend's FD in Utah changes at 7AM, but for two different reasons.

1. All of them have second jobs to run to. I say go union and negotiate for better pay instead.

2. To make church. Church starts early so they need to get off in time. I say that sucks because now religion is dictating my/our life.

My office job starts at 7AM. But thatís simply to get more work out of the employee.

Thread Information