Thread: DUI and AF FF

Forum Member

Default DUI and AF FF

I went and talked to my recruiter today. I am finally about 5 lbs. from my max to join. He basically said I have little hope of getting in because of my DUI, but he will see if a waiver is possible. He then went on to say that if I was elligible I might have to take WHATEVER job they want to give me.... I almost got up and walked out. My DUI is not on my criminal record, because I didn't blow very high, I went to treatment, and didn't get into trouble. I know I shouldn't have been drinking and driving, but I have manned up, and dealt with it.

He couldn't find anything about it on his computer, but he said when I go to MEPS they will find it. I was told that nobody should be able to find anything about it...., so basically my question is he telling the truth, or is he just trying to get me to pick a ****ty job? I wouldn't go for anything other than FF.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hornedfrog2000 View Post
    I went and talked to my recruiter today. I am finally about 5 lbs. from my max to join. He basically said I have little hope of getting in because of my DUI, but he will see if a waiver is possible. He then went on to say that if I was elligible I might have to take WHATEVER job they want to give me.... I almost got up and walked out. My DUI is not on my criminal record, because I didn't blow very high, I went to treatment, and didn't get into trouble. I know I shouldn't have been drinking and driving, but I have manned up, and dealt with it.

He couldn't find anything about it on his computer, but he said when I go to MEPS they will find it. I was told that nobody should be able to find anything about it...., so basically my question is he telling the truth, or is he just trying to get me to pick a ****ty job? I wouldn't go for anything other than FF.
    Stick to your guns. Don't take a job that you don't want.

Now for the DUI....... It doesn't matter whether it shows up on the computer or not, if you had a DUI, then you let them know. AF FF needs to have a Secret Security Clearance so they will find out anyway in your background check. Anyway, good luck in your indeavors!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that the DUI was deferred, and is supposed to be off my record all together. I did everything they asked, and you can't see that it exists, but the recruiter said if I was finger printed they will know. Being the honest person I try to be, I told him about it, and that is the only way he even knew. I have had many background checks on me, and nobody has found it... Thanks again.

Oh, and I wont let him bully me into a job I wont like for the next four years either.

Forum Member

If you want to be a FF and nothing else, don't sign or do anything without a written guarantee. I can't emphasise this enough. Once you sign the papers, the needs of the AF take precedence over anything you want to do. If they need cooks on the day you graduate from basic, you'll be whipping up omlets for midnight chow for the next four years.

As the old joke goes: How do you know when your recruiter is lying?...His lips are moving.

Forum Member

Thanks for replying. I want it in writing, but at what point do I get it in writing? He tried saying some bs like I can get it in basic, and that I will be general... I said I heard not to do that, and he looked like he was gonna crap himself. Do I go to MEPS and get it in writing there, or do I get it from him? Oh, and I dont want to go to basic for about 10 months (DEP), so will that help at all in persuading them?

And it sounds like they are going to give me a waiver for the owi, but we shall see...
    Last edited by hornedfrog2000; 12-06-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Forum Member

The recruiter should get the paper work started for you, but the folks at MEPS will give you the actual contract to sign, or not.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

So I need to get the recruiter to actually do something about it for me first before I get to meps? Thanks again.

Forum Member

Anyone? Should I just call him and tell him FF or nothing, or wait to get to MEPS and say FF or nothing?...This is stressfull stuff.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hornedfrog2000 View Post
    Anyone? Should I just call him and tell him FF or nothing, or wait to get to MEPS and say FF or nothing?...This is stressfull stuff.
    You can do either one. Going to MEPS is not the "end-all". If you don't like what you here when you get there, you can just leave. Just do it BEFORE you raise your right hand. As for leaving for Basic, you can do a delayed enlistment and get a date closer to what you want.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Awesome, so I guess I will go to MEPS? I will let my recruiter know my intentions...He knows I'm not stupid, and I will let him know when I get to MEPS it will be FF, or nothing.

Any other tips for me? I can't believe the emotions I'm going through right now... here's to the next goal being met! Cheers.

Thread Information