1. #1
    Forum Member
    whfdExplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    White House, Tennessee
    Posts
    58

    Default Spit Shining Boots

    What is the best way to spit shine my station boots? I have google search this and I have found everything from using water to rubbing alcohol. The Department end of the year banquet is this month, so I want to look my best.
    Last edited by whfdExplorer; 12-06-2007 at 03:54 PM.
    The words I post here are my own. They do not reflect the opinions of the organizations I am affilliated with.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Futureemt73193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my town :-)
    Posts
    337

    Default

    Sorry if this doesn't help but here is this site.

    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/gener.../spitshine.htm
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

    ~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

    ~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

  3. #3
    Permanently Removed
    CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    I would not spit on them or use alcohol.

    I just use the liquid shine, let dry and buff out. Repeat. One of the best things I have bought was a sued shoe shine box off of ebay. They are all over the place and cheap. Go check them out.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-06-2007 at 11:15 AM.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    ndvfdff33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Winterpeg Manitoba
    Posts
    2,461

    Default

    Didn't we just have this same topic not all that long ago.


    The way I do it, I've had instructors ask me to trade my parade boots, is take a damp kiwi cloth, lot's of polish and start making little circles in the desired area. Don't cover too big of an area at one time,then it gets sloppy. Concentrate on a specific part and go from there. If you start noticing a lot of scratches add some more water to the kiwi cloth and if required some polish as well.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

    Ryan

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Didn't we just have this same topic not all that long ago.


    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=93795


  6. #6
    Forum Member
    t0asty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    297

    Default

    HAY!!! I remember that!!! It came in handy! On a side note: The crew I did my ride along with were impressed how well I shined them.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Foggy California
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t0asty View Post
    HAY!!! I remember that!!! It came in handy! On a side note: The crew I did my ride along with were impressed how well I shined them.
    Well, at least until your first call....

    I know one guy who keeps a spit-shined spare set of station boots for having "visiting VIPs" to the station, or when going out during event standbys, etc... his uniform allowance, and his choice. I wouldn't recommend spit-shining your "daily wear" station boots, and I certainly wouldn't recomment plopping down your own $$ (especially as an Explorer) for a spare set just so you can have a spit-shined pair and your "daily driver" set.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

    IACOJ--West Coast PITA

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    whfdExplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    White House, Tennessee
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Thanks for the info everyone, and I didn't know someone had started another thread on this subject. I'll make sure I take a look at it.
    The words I post here are my own. They do not reflect the opinions of the organizations I am affilliated with.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    t0asty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Well, at least until your first call....

    I know one guy who keeps a spit-shined spare set of station boots for having "visiting VIPs" to the station, or when going out during event standbys, etc... his uniform allowance, and his choice. I wouldn't recommend spit-shining your "daily wear" station boots, and I certainly wouldn't recomment plopping down your own $$ (especially as an Explorer) for a spare set just so you can have a spit-shined pair and your "daily driver" set.
    Yah that first "call" was great! Delivering smoke detectors!!! It could be worse like someones house on fire, always sad to hear about others pains and hardships. I had fun though. Learned a lot. And like you said I only plan on shining my boots for public events or if they are fairly scuffed up, with the occasional why not look nice polish. And I don't plan on spending my money on a pair of spare boots. I need all the money I can get for text books! Well time to sleep. I'm up way later then normal.

    whfdExplorer: No problem. everyone makes a mistake here and there. Least you asked about something helpful.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    DonSmithnotTMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fayetteville, N.C.
    Posts
    407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Futureemt73193 View Post
    Sorry if this doesn't help but here is this site.

    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/gener.../spitshine.htm
    The only thing I would add is after you put the first dollop of polish on take a heat gun (craft-type or industrial on a low setting) and melt the polish -- spread it evenly on the boot and let it sit for awhile.

    also these products help a lot -- http://dabootshop.com/mcart/

    The polish and shine enhancer are what I mean. The shine enhancer will not work unless you actually shine the boot. It also helps protect the shine a little. Use as directed. Don't forget to use edge dressing.

    Also, a second pair of boots just for stuff like this helps a lot.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Futureemt73193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my town :-)
    Posts
    337

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post
    The only thing I would add is after you put the first dollop of polish on take a heat gun (craft-type or industrial on a low setting) and melt the polish -- spread it evenly on the boot and let it sit for awhile.

    also these products help a lot -- http://dabootshop.com/mcart/

    The polish and shine enhancer are what I mean. The shine enhancer will not work unless you actually shine the boot. It also helps protect the shine a little. Use as directed. Don't forget to use edge dressing.

    Also, a second pair of boots just for stuff like this helps a lot.
    Sounds good. lol I just seen this thread and I typed in spit shine shoes and that web page came up so I posted it on here.
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

    ~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

    ~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    ndvfdff33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Winterpeg Manitoba
    Posts
    2,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post
    The only thing I would add is after you put the first dollop of polish on take a heat gun (craft-type or industrial on a low setting) and melt the polish -- spread it evenly on the boot and let it sit for awhile.

    also these products help a lot -- http://dabootshop.com/mcart/

    The polish and shine enhancer are what I mean. The shine enhancer will not work unless you actually shine the boot. It also helps protect the shine a little. Use as directed. Don't forget to use edge dressing.

    Also, a second pair of boots just for stuff like this helps a lot.
    Although burn or heat shining boots works well, it works well if you know what your doing. A person who has never done this before I would advise against it. I've seen a lot of people try this and really screw up what were a good pair of parade boots. IMO I'd wait on trying this.

    Use a bit of elbow grease,some polish,water and a kiwi clothe. It's a pain in the *** but it works and it will probably cause you less grief in the end. If you use that way your boots, after some work will look great and you won't need any enhancers or anything. Also I would avoid getting stuff that comes in a thing that looks like a bingo dabber. Bad choice as well. Only thing I use other than black boot polish is something called neutral. I don't use it a lot but it helps out sometimes.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 12-08-2007 at 11:56 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

    Ryan

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    I just did mine about 20 minutes ago using some Kiwi Polish, Mink Oil wax whatever, and some good old fashioned elbow grease.



    And they are a damn sexy looking pair of boots if I do say so my self.




    They are a Haix zipper boot if anyone is interested. Don't know the model name.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Jonnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,256

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by whfdExplorer View Post
    What is the best way to spit shine my station boots? I have google search this and I have found everything from using water to rubbing alcohol. The Department end of the year banquet is this month, so I want to look my best.


    One question , WHY would you want you station boots spit shined? If you first fire they will get messed up.

    Doesn't make any sense to me. You have too much time on your hands....

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    ndvfdff33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Winterpeg Manitoba
    Posts
    2,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    One question , WHY would you want you station boots spit shined? If you first fire they will get messed up.

    Doesn't make any sense to me. You have too much time on your hands....
    Maybe because he takes pride in what he does. Beleive it or not things like ironing your uniform, shining your boots and taking the time to do it shows you have pride in your job and your uniform.


    I know this isn't the military, but that is one way I determine if somebody takes pride in what they do. You come in looking like a sack of s**t it shows you don't really care and you take no pride in your job. You have yourself sqaured away, boots shone, etc etc it shows you take pride in yourself and what you do. Guess what, a lot of supervisors note things that like. That's my opinion. Might just be the soldier in me though. Just because you may not have any pride in how you look, does not mean this guy doesn't want too.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 12-17-2007 at 10:08 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

    Ryan

  16. #16
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    One question , WHY would you want you station boots spit shined? If you first fire they will get messed up.

    Doesn't make any sense to me. You have too much time on your hands....
    STATION BOOTS.
    http://deeddee.ytmnd.com/

    You wear them around the station and for EMS calls.
    I spit shine mine, along with pressing my pants, and starching my button ups.
    Its about looking squared away, and professional.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    t0asty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Best thing you can do is look and act professional. Even though you are young (and look young) it give the patient (if you ride along) confidence even if all you are doing is grabbing items from a bag or setting up the O2. So keep your boots shiny and your uniform (if issues) washed and pressed.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    whfdExplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    White House, Tennessee
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Thanks everyone. I got my boots to were they have a more gloss shine then normal. They don't have a shine like the high gloss boots I see in Galls, but they are close.
    The words I post here are my own. They do not reflect the opinions of the organizations I am affilliated with.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Maybe because he takes pride in what he does. Beleive it or not things like ironing your uniform, shining your boots and taking the time to do it shows you have pride in your job and your uniform.


    I know this isn't the military, but that is one way I determine if somebody takes pride in what they do. You come in looking like a sack of s**t it shows you don't really care and you take no pride in your job. You have yourself sqaured away, boots shone, etc etc it shows you take pride in yourself and what you do. Guess what, a lot of supervisors note things that like. That's my opinion. Might just be the soldier in me though. Just because you may not have any pride in how you look, does not mean this guy doesn't want too.
    Took the words RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!


    Maybe that's why we are bash brothers....


    PM coming your way ryan.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    ndvfdff33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Winterpeg Manitoba
    Posts
    2,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Took the words RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!


    Maybe that's why we are bash brothers....


    PM coming your way ryan.
    It's more than likely why we work so well together. We should get into buisness together. We could make MILLLLLLLLLLLLLIOOONNNSSSS. HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

    Ryan

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northwest OH
    Posts
    355

    Default

    To answer the question, when I was in the Military, the best route i found for that great shine was melt the kiwi parade gloss wax in the tin, apply it to the boot in tight circles dont worry about using too much...but just remember the more you put on now, the more you have to take off later....then I would run a lighter over the boot to again melt the wax on the boot and also it burns off any stray thread strands...then splash the boot with light spritzing of water....and buff with the horse hair brush...fast and use full strokes..the horse hair brush takes off the excess polish, and buff the remaining stuff to a nice high shine...the water gives it a lil extra shine...

    and im sorry i dont remember who said it..but umm how would your station boots get nasty on your first fire...everywhere I have fought fire we get special boots to wear when we go inside the hot stuff....

    Its getting late, im gettin grumpy

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Leather Boots vs. Rubber Boots -- Safety
    By mtomek112 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 11:23 AM
  2. We need more people like this... A knight in shining armor
    By DeputyChiefGonzo in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 08:56 PM
  3. Another shining star
    By EFD840 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2004, 12:49 PM
  4. The Lairdsville tragedy, nothing like being spit on.
    By trade30 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2002, 11:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register