Default College guy Concerned about Future

Hi guys,

Sorry to be a pain, but Im brand new here and noticed a lot of posts similar to mine. Im having a hard time finding some good answers though. I am graduating from UMass in the spring 2008, and I am concerned with what to do next in order to pursue my dream of being a firefighter. The diploma has nothing to do with firefighting, however I have been on a student volunteer force for 2 years and an EMT/B , and know I definitely want this. I didnt learn as much as I wanted on the student Force because I was real busy.

Im from a suburb near Boston, and would kill to be a Boston Firefighter but I would be happy with anything. I am looking into either paramedic school or maybe enlisting, (I have been hearing things about Dpt. of Defense Fire Academy or CG Fire?)

I guess what Im asking is advice and stories on how you went about becoming a FireFighter after you decided on what you wanted to do. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Guys

Forum Member

Your quest to be a firefighter will be a long hard fight. Unlike other jobs becoming a firefighter is extremely competitive and most of the time you can only apply once a year. DON'T GET DISCOURGED!

Apply to every place you can think of, take all the tests you can. If you have the time to get your Paramedic do it! Many departments give points or will only hire paramedics. The military is a great option as well (again test points and looks good on a resume) but remember you give up 4 years to pursue it.

You can apply to be a federal firefighter without joining the military. The website may be usajobs.com. I don't know much about it other than that the pay is good, but some of the bases are pretty slow (although I am sure some do run good calls).

Good luck

Forum Member

Becoming a civilian federal firefighter will not entail you to attend the DoD Fire Academy. Classes there are reserved for enlisted personnel and a few slots are retained for experienced DoD (civilian) employees.

Most Federal facilities will not take you without the following as a bare minimum: (some will take less, but you will get hired at a lower pay grade, but many facilities do not hire in the lower levels....)
    -FFII
    -ARFF (if applying for an airfield spot)
    -Driver Operator Pumps, Aerials and ARFF
    -EMT (some will take First Responder)
    -Haz Mat Technician
    -Fire Officer I
    -Fire Inspector I

Federal firefighting jobs are slim right now, especially at Naval facilities where they faced major layoffs in the last 2 years only to have more to come. Go to the usajobs website and search job series "0081."

My reccomendation to you, is if you are hell bent on getting hired in Boston or another city, go in the military, which will do several things for you:
    -Will instill a sense of discipline and work ethic into you
    -More job training, perhaps you could do something slanted towards your degree and enlist at a higher pay grade, you need to talk to a recruiter about that
    -Most importantly the all-important, coveted 10 vets points to go towards your civil service exam for whatever major city you choose to apply for.

GOOD LUCK to you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    -Will instill a sense of discipline and work ethic into you
    This guy's right cause you have none of either

ps i know this person
    Last edited by Cordova2008; 03-01-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: too harsh

Forum Member

Cordova, unless you know KMo personally, that was a pretty unfair accusation. I have never met him before, and wouldnt know him if I tripped over him tomorrow, but just from his initial posting, I wouldnt say that he does not have either discipline or work ethic. The fact alone that he is an EMT-B AND has (or soon will) obtain his degree speaks volumes that he knows how to work.

When I stated that the military will instill discipline and work ethic, I was implying that it would instill the very discipline and work ethic that career fire departments are looking for.

By the way KMo, what will your degree be in, and have you thought any more about what I said?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

KMo,

Good luck in your ventures. It's great to see a young guy like yourself strive for lofty goals. Keep your attitude and your detemination. I'm certain good things will happen.

Matt
    QFL

Default April 2008 Civil Service Exam

Take the exam and apply for a medic school. Medic school is almost a sure bet to get a job. Most towns in eastern MA are hiring medics. Boston is only hiring war vets at this time.
    The military route will only help if you head to the middle east for veterans points on the civil service exam.

Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by KMo2008 View Post
    Hi guys,

Sorry to be a pain, but Im brand new here and noticed a lot of posts similar to mine. Im having a hard time finding some good answers though. I am graduating from UMass in the spring 2008, and I am concerned with what to do next in order to pursue my dream of being a firefighter. The diploma has nothing to do with firefighting, however I have been on a student volunteer force for 2 years and an EMT/B , and know I definitely want this. I didnt learn as much as I wanted on the student Force because I was real busy.

Im from a suburb near Boston, and would kill to be a Boston Firefighter but I would be happy with anything. I am looking into either paramedic school or maybe enlisting, (I have been hearing things about Dpt. of Defense Fire Academy or CG Fire?)

I guess what Im asking is advice and stories on how you went about becoming a FireFighter after you decided on what you wanted to do. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Guys

Thread Information