Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default What to do next?

Hi guys,

Sorry to be a pain, but Im brand new here and noticed a lot of posts similar to mine. Im having a hard time finding some good answers though. I am graduating from UMass in the spring 2008, and I am concerned with what to do next in order to pursue my dream of being a firefighter. The diploma has nothing to do with firefighting, however I have been on a student volunteer force for 2 years and an EMT/B , and know I definitely want this. I didnt learn as much as I wanted on the student Force because I was real busy.

Im from a suburb near Boston, and would kill to be a Boston Firefighter but I would be happy with anything (surrounding towns and cities). I am looking into either paramedic school or maybe enlisting, (I have been hearing things about Dpt. of Defense Fire Academy or CG Fire?) Should I look to get certified in other things?

I guess what Im asking is advice and stories on how you went about becoming a FireFighter after you decided on what you wanted to do. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Guys

Did you happen to read any of the posts that you found "similar to mine"?

Do we really have to re-hash it out for you?
    Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but did you try the "Search" function located just a little midway to the right of the screen here?

Sorry, just a little off today.
    If you are graduating with a degree, have you considered going officer corp for any of the branches? Their lifestyle tends to be a little better than most grunts/enlisted personnel.

This internet has been a wondertool for a lot of people in your shoes in trying to get started in a career. However your fingers do have to do some walking.
    Go here: www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Here: www.eatstress.com
    and here: www.firecareers.com and www.firerecruit.com
    to get started.

Good luck,
    bam

Forum Member

First things first, start applying. Not going to get anywhere unless you apply.

Thread Information