Thread: I need Help!!

Forum Member

Default I need Help!!

Hey all...I need peoples opinion who can help me with a little information. I have my associates in fire science, and Im also a EMT-B. Im thinking of enlisting into the Navy hoping that when I get out to help in my process in becoming a career firefighter. With my associates can that help me get a job in the navy for example like damage control alot easier? or help me get a job in the navy that deals with firefighting alot easier?

Forum Member

Why do you want navy? Go Air Force bro. Everyone in the navy is trained for damage control. Air force is more like civilian.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by hornedfrog2000 View Post
    Why do you want navy? Go Air Force bro. Everyone in the navy is trained for damage control. Air force is more like civilian.
    You're really not in any position to answer these questions as you're not even in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by stearns83
    Hey all...I need peoples opinion who can help me with a little information. I have my associates in fire science, and Im also a EMT-B. Im thinking of enlisting into the Navy hoping that when I get out to help in my process in becoming a career firefighter. With my associates can that help me get a job in the navy for example like damage control alot easier? or help me get a job in the navy that deals with firefighting alot easier?
    short answer.. no. the only thing your associates will help you with is advancing rank. In the Navy there is no true "Firefighter" job... as everyone is a firefighter somehow. there is "Damange Controlman (DC)" which takes care of everything from welding to metalwork to taking care of the ship by training everyone else in proper damage control techniques to save the ship and running damage control lockers.

Getting out of the Navy as a DC-man will not guarantee you a job as a firefighter. you won't even have firefighter certs. I was a firefighter at a repair locker and it did nothing towards a firefighting job when i got out. the only Navy job that you might come out of the military with nationally accredited firefighter certifications is the rate "Aviation Boatswains Mate, Handler" (ABH). In order to get a slot as an ABH going to the DoD Fire academy, you need to be at least an E-4 headed to a Shore Duty billet that requires the coveted 7012 NEC. (Getting that will require at least 51 months on sea duty). ABH is the only Navy rate that the DoD Fire Academy had going through the academy earlier this year when i attended.

-Damien

Forum Member

I don't really understand what me being in the military has to do with it? I have talked to more people, and researched more about every branch than you could dream. One, you say everyone is trained in DC...didn't I say that? Two, you basically said that there is no real FF job in the Navy. I said go AF for a reason.

I also have my associates in Fire Science, and will tell you that it is something to bring to the table. Did you go to school for 2+ years to get a job fixing radio controls or some bs like that?, No. Let them know that, and don't let them pressure you. I am in the same position you are right now.

I know the above poster was lied to and told Navy was the best place to go for firefighting, but look at what he even says... It did nothing for him in getting a job. The Navy called me for about a week every day begging me to come in and join them, but I want to be a Firefighter, and not just be titled a Firefighter.
    Last edited by hornedfrog2000; 12-07-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by hornedfrog2000 View Post
    I don't really understand what me being in the military has to do with it? I have talked to more people, and researched more about every branch than you could dream. One, you say everyone is trained in DC...didn't I say that? Two, you basically said that there is no real FF job in the Navy. I said go AF for a reason.

I also have my associates in Fire Science, and will tell you that it is something to bring to the table. Did you go to school for 2+ years to get a job fixing radio controls or some bs like that?, No. Let them know that, and don't let them pressure you. I am in the same position you are right now.

I know the above poster was lied to and told Navy was the best place to go for firefighting, but look at what he even says... It did nothing for him in getting a job. The Navy called me for about a week every day begging me to come in and join them, but I want to be a Firefighter, and not just be titled a Firefighter.

You have no experience, therefore you cannot talk about what is better... I did 8 years active duty Navy as an aircraft director because that's what i wanted to do, not because i was lied to. i didn't join to become a firefighter. I got out because i didn't want to go back to a ship. I joined the Air National Guard for a career in firefighting and to stay local. I knew what the hell i was doing. the only way you seemed to get your info was asking questions in here. Granted, tht's not a bad thing, but the only information you've been dispensing here has been regurgitated from what other people have told you. you might get a crappy post and be stuck somewhere and hate the air force. it's all what you make of it.

The only thing that your associates will get you is E-3 and plenty of people telling you to shut the hell up when they try teaching you something and all you can seem to do is run your mouth about how you did it in college.

stearns83, feel free to PM me if ya have any more questions.

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I'd strongly suggest looking at the USAF, active, guard, and reserve, as well. The furtman is pretty much on the money. You'll also find more opportunities for military personnel to attend the advanced courses when you start moving up.

Congarts on the AAS, but it won't help get a firefighter position in any branch. It's all about what they need that day. I'm not even sure there's a guaranteed enlistment for USAF firefighter any more.

...and, no, USAF Fire Protection is not much like a civilian department.

Thread Information