Thread: Biking

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Biking

I am an avid biking and do so about 4-6 times per week during the warmer months when weather is permissible. My question is, would this be too much biking a week and should I focus more on strength training to develop strength? I am 2 semesters away from graduatiin my Fire Science program and I will imeadiately start apply to fire departments all around Wisconsin and Colorado. I want to be in peak fitness so let me know if I should reduce the amount of biking and focus on other aspects as well.

Forum Member

Wink

Make sure you are doing alot of hill work to help build your legs but also spend time doing weighted squats, overheads etc to help build the strength for carrying gear. Swap one of your biking days out for hiking with a decent pack/weight vest(Sandhills if ya got em! or stair work - real stairs not a stairmaster if u can)

Don't forget your upper body/back/core for overhaul, rescue work....check out crossfit.com

most days i'll do the crossfitt workout in the morning and then go for a ride later in the day

Btw I'm female, 5' 6" and 165 pounds (Most of it muscle)

GOOD LUCK!!

Quote Originally Posted by uwmlax2 View Post
    I am an avid biking and do so about 4-6 times per week during the warmer months when weather is permissible. My question is, would this be too much biking a week and should I focus more on strength training to develop strength? I am 2 semesters away from graduatiin my Fire Science program and I will imeadiately start apply to fire departments all around Wisconsin and Colorado. I want to be in peak fitness so let me know if I should reduce the amount of biking and focus on other aspects as well.
    Are you wanting to be in top physical shape for the PAT or just in general? 2 semesters is about 9 months give or take. If you are a true biker than you probably have a weak upper body. If you are used to biking 4 to 6 times a week, I would drop down to 3 times a week and 3 days a week in the gym. Your cardio should not be affected that much and your strength should really go up. Like the previous poster said, crossfit would probably be your best bet if you do not know your way around a gym. Just my two cents.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Adapt, adapt adapt

The body will adapt itself to what you expose it to. If you look at marathon runners, pro cyclists ect. each has a certain body type. The body will develop muscle to perform the sport but that can also lead to muscular imbalances. Why is it that children don't have the ortho problems adults have? The aches and pains? Why are the kids able to play alll day and be amazing athletes on a jungle gym? Why aren't we a better version of the child?

The children do what we were intended to do: they move all the time in every which way. Their body adapted to ALL the stimulus they did. They have muscular balance. Adults think that 3-4 hrs/week is enough to counter sitting 40+ hrs in an office/car. The math doesn't add up. Or they train in one activity for hours, in the same repetetive movement

So to your ?: you can cycle but you are predisposed to hip flexor tightness that can lead to back issues, you aren't load bearing, shoulder/chest are flexed. so just add variety to counter those issues. A GOOD active warm up and cool down with hip flexor stretching and chest/shoulder stretching especially after the ride. Add upper body and load bearing activities. Crossfit would be great is you are healthy and in decent shape. Do a good stretching routine 2x/week at least. Look into a good yoga or pilates class to augment the strengthening.

I see alot of athletes with issues stemming form muscular imbalance, I don't try to make them athletes but rather try to increase their efficiency as a machine.

Orlando PT/PFT/FF
    www.adapttraining.com
    Last edited by ogomez; 12-08-2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: mis spelling

MembersZone Subscriber

OGomez- great points!

Muscle imbalance is a major problem... shortened hip flexors and a lower body that is relatively stronger than the upper body. To keep it simple, I would do this:

Week 1:
    Day 1: cycle, stretch
    Day 2: Upper body: push ups, pull-ups, abs, stretch
    Day 3: yoga/pilates/core
    Day 4: weight vest work- either hiking, as mentioned above, or step mill, or eliptical, stretch
    Day 5: rest
    Day 6: Lower Body/ Super sets or intervals with heavy squats, leg press, hamstring curls, calf raises, abs, stretch, cycle in the afternoon
    Day 7 rest

Week 2:
    Day 1: cycle, stretch
    Day 2: Upper body: push ups, pull-ups, abs, stretch
    Day 3: Sprint intervals, yoga pilates/core
    Day 4: weight vest work- either hiking, as mentioned above, or step mill, or eliptcal, stretch
    Day 5: cycle, abs/core
    Day 6: Lower Body/ Super sets or intervals with heavy squats, leg press, hamstring curls, calf raises, abs, stretch
    Day 7 rest

I wouldn't say you are cycling too much, I would say that focusing on just one thing has it's limits, and that cross training would be more effective.

Also- consider job specific training- with resistance work aimed at the tasks that you would be doing in your job...

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Thread Information