Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oh,I'm not laughing about that.You get the liberal interpretation.I do remember being sent to the docks by Horace and Hutch to get the fish for that FABULOUS fish chowder. Rockland's a little like the island,either you "fit"or you don't. Being young and opinionated,I really didn't "fit"nor was I going to screw up a good crew to try.Part of me wishes I stayed,it was and still is a great place to work.But I made my mark in other arenas and I've still got friends in the city so all is good with this "short"timer.Pickup net indeed! Who's bit of brilliance was that? T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Who's bit of brilliance was that? T.C.
    C-Shift guys. I'm just glad they didn't stick a NASCRAP logo on it! You weren't part of the famous fish chowder made from de-breading fish sticks and using Creamora and Potato Buds were you? I think you're Capt. Cartman might disown you.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

If the issue of length is there, get a side mount pump. It will cut down significantly on the wheelbase,. Also see if there is a compact 1250 pump, I thought Hale made one about 40" pump house. Also Speedlays move to x-lays bring the wb shorter too, and no real loss in tactical usage.

Also you could alway check the cost vs a "Custom" cookie-cutter cab, vs a commercial style. I would alway shoot for under 200 inch wb especially if you need to take the driveways in your response area.

A little late I guess for my 2 cents.....

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I have to agree with MG3160 about using the oversize arrowstick on the rigs. We've been putting the standard size arrowsticks on our rigs for a long time, and with the number of lights required on the back of the rig under 1901, most of the time, the "directional effect" is lost. IOW, it just looks like another set of flashing lights on the back of the vehicle.

In my volly county, the standard now calls for the halogen 72" directional arrow. We went with halogen since it's brighter than LED in amber.

FWIW, we want to mount a Q2B on our 2000 IH, but the construction of area behind the bumper face wouldn't allow it to be flush-mounted. The size of the station would allow for an extended front bumper and a pedestal-mount Q, so we had to live with electronic only. Oh well....

As for the headsets, we didn't do them in our 2000 IH 4-door, and honestly, the in-cab communication is acceptable. From a hearing protection standpoint, I generally do advocate the headsets, but in this application, you'll probably be okay.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Adam,You Sir have crossed the line with that one.Do you think Hutch and the Honorable Horace Benner would allow fishsticks in the House much less their chowder? I'm insulted that you would even think of such a thing.NO self respecting Rockland firefighter would ever allow it. It's blasphemy!The Dep is now rolling over in his grave! Fishsticks Indeed! T.C.

My Answers...

1) Due to the ridiculous length this truck is going to present us we opted not to get the extended front bumper, but would still like to put a Q on. Anyone had any problems mounting a regular Q2B on the front bumper flush?

A: I haven't seen any...

2) Any thoughts over an EQ2B through dual 100W Speakers.

A: If possible get a real Q... that is a 200w siren and is designed to run off a single 200w speaker.

3) Mini LED Bars facing outward over the rear doors of the cab along with adding these new mini super bright LED's in the rub rails on top of the normal 4x6 body LED lights.

A: Ya can never be TOO SEEN, but you can be TOO UN-SEEN! We have 12 Whelen 600 Series LED light heads on our new pumper... 12!!! This in addition to our dual MARS 888 lights!

1 Sides of both bumper extensions...

1 Over front and rear wheel wells...

4 in the rear... 2 amber

2 on the front of the cab...

4) Arrow stick in the back...yes or no?

A: YES... Safety is KEY... arrowstick and reflective chevron should be an NFPA standard!!! Your dept. may also get money off their insurance for doing such.

5) Headsets...none of our apparatus currently has headsets in the cabs, but we're at least putting 2 in the new one...drivers and officers seats...any thoughts on just going w/ headsets at all cab seats. I was also wondering if anyone has a headset plug in back on their pump panel and how well they work out.

A: Even though the noise deadening on new apparatus is good... ya still need to hear clear and concisely what dispatch and other units are saying... and they need to hear you!!! Plus, the rest of the crew can hear what's going and make their own size by what they hear.

Final Question 6) We're to the point where we're just doing some last minute messing with shelves and compartments deciding whether to incorporate some drop down shelves or not and whether or not to close off the top half of the rear transverse cupboard, and whether or not to omit one or both extinguisher compartments on the rear.

A: Ya lost me man... LOL
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post

In my volly county, the standard now calls for the halogen 72" directional arrow. We went with halogen since it's brighter than LED in amber.
    I beg to differ... amber and red are known to be the brightest LED colors. Blue and Green are the worst...
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

MembersZone Subscriber

I would present my scientific argument below. Blue is the color that almost whites out the others. Colors from bottom to top on the strip are red-amber-blue-green. This is a Whelen strip lite LED.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thoughts

I would do the Mechanical Q. I have used the Electronic Version and the Timberwolf Mechanical and I am returning to the Original Q on my next purchase. Also add Grover Stuttertone Airhorns.

Chevron Striping and Arrowsticks save lives! and it is usually firefighters!

LED all the way. The more the better for cheap visibility.

Take extra time and think about where you want to mount items. Then mount them. One note, if your department will be adding a new piece of equipment in the future, Plan for it now.

We added headsets after the fact to our two engines and ladder truck. It really helps with the noise and gives great communication between the officer and crew. We added a remote plug at the pump panel for the operator. I will be added on our new one. We used Sigtronics (Barbara Boen) out of San Dimas . CA.

Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post

Chevron Striping and Arrowsticks save lives! and it is usually firefighters!
    Not to pick on you Elwood, but how is it that Arrowsticks save lives? They add to the visibility, no doubt, but are they any better than added amber lights? Have lives been saved because driver's recognized the direction they should go in due to the arrowstick?

I think MG's truck looks great and the oversized arrowstick may be better, short of the true DOT arrow sign.

Like I said previously, you can't prove the arrowstick by the ones we have, but maybe T.C. is right it's the salt air messing with the locals brains, they need fog horns to warn them to stay away!

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=RFDACM02;897552]Not to pick on you Elwood, but how is it that Arrowsticks save lives? They add to the visibility, no doubt, but are they any better than added amber lights? Have lives been saved because driver's recognized the direction they should go in due to the arrowstick?

I guess we have all seen the one on the freeway that must pass the line of cars on the shoulder eventhough the DOT Arrow was directing everyone to the safe lane! I guess I still remember the single model 17 BeaconRay and maybe two post mounted flashers on the rear?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CooterRob View Post
    I beg to differ... amber and red are known to be the brightest LED colors. Blue and Green are the worst...
    I don't disagree with your statement, but when you compare red LED to amber LED, there is a remarkable difference, and when you compare amber halogen to amber LED, there's even more of a difference. We run both LED and halogen ambers on several rigs at work, and there's a definate difference.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

[QUOTE=RFDACM02;894990]
    Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer123 View Post

Please link us or tell us where to find these studies? I'd like to compare the arrowsticks they find "very effective" to the size of most of the LED sticks that are being used on apparatus lately. And while I agree the chevrons are very visible, your statement leads me to believe that a chevron w/o the arrowstick ought to be effective enough?
    A few years ago in PA. their dept of trans. did a study on light sticks.
    They put a light stick on a tripod on the right side of the road that flashed to the left, then further down the road they put another light stick on a tripod that flashed back to the right. it was all video taped. It was very effective in diverting traffic in the direction that was intended. They pulled random people over and asked them why they changed lanes. Most weren't even aware that there was a signal or that they had even changed lanes. It was a subconscious action. The light sticks have an effect on people without them even knowing it.
    The lights weren't on the back of a fire engine, just a tripod. They found that it had a huge effect on the traffic patterns.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking ideas

scene lights scene lights and more scene lights, tripod scene lights that can be removed from the engine and set up away from engine and last but not least, scene lights!

Thread Information