Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default UNC Considering In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants.

Chapel Hill — The University of North Carolina system is considering whether to offer undocumented immigrants in-state tuition at its 16 university campuses.

In-state tuition ranges from $1,500 to $3,700 while out-of-state students pay $10,000 to $20,000.

System President Erskine Bowles said that illegal immigrants already are in the state and that creating another permanent underclass is not the right thing to do.

Joni Worthington, vice president for communications for the UNC system, said officials have agreed only to research the issue and have not taken a position for or against it.

A 28-member commission of business, community and academic leaders is studying the idea's costs and benefits.

Undocumented students make up a small percentage of the university system. At UNC-Chapel Hill, for example, there are four. All are on financial aid – none of it state or federal.

Chancellor James Moeser supports their success, saying, "it's in the interest of the state to educate all of the people who live here to their highest potential."

"They are honor students. In some cases, they are valedictorian(s) of our high schools," Moeser said. "Are we going to deprive this intellectual talent?"

Others are speaking out about the concept, saying the issue is not about money, but about setting a precedent.

"I think it would seriously erode their support amongst the taxpayers, the citizens," state House Minority Leader Paul Stamm, R-Wake, said. "We can't educate the entire world."

Stamm said the UNC system received more than a 15 percent increase in its budget last year. Changes like the one being researched could mean wavering support from some legislators, he said.

"It has to do with the responsibilities of North Carolina taxpayers to provide an appropriate education for the citizens of North Carolina," he said.

Last week, a controversy erupted over a new policy that mandates all state community colleges admit students regardless of their immigration status.

Policy opponents include all five candidates for North Carolina governor.

So my friends from out of state can get raped out of the @$$ for tuition costs, but someone who is not even an American citizen gets in-state tuition? That's asinine. The fact that they are valedictorians is a null point. They need to apply for the proper residency then apply to college. Erskine Bowles is a nut. With jag offs like him, it's no wonder the costs of college have risen 185% over normal inflation since 1985.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Well, if this is approved, North Carolina had better be ready for a massive, massive influx of undocumented illegal immigrants, if they thought they had a heap to start with. It's going to be interesting as to what the public response to this will be.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

This idea does not make any sense to me at all. Actually, this issue is something I really don't understand. I am sure some of you would be more than willing to explain it to me.

If these ILLEGAL immigrants actually attend UNC, why wouldn't we have a police officer waiting for them on the first day of school and arrest them, or deport them, or do whatever we do with them. I had this same question when New York State's govenor proposed the idea of providing drivers licenses for illegal immigrants. The idea was that we could track them better. Well why wouldn't we arrest them when the walk into the DMV and apply?

Maybe I am missing something, but it makes no sense to me.

truly pathetic. I just recently went through this myself. I was going to self pay through police academy down here in Florida but since I have not lived here a year yet it would have been doubled the fee. It would be a disgrace if illegals received in state fees other than a tax payer !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Pretty soon, some court will rule that "illegal alien" is a protected class, just like race, creed, age, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by davjohnson View Post
    Pretty soon, some court will rule that "illegal alien" is a protected class, just like race, creed, age, etc.
    I just read a local paper that said the new pc term (pppbbbbtttttttttt) for them is "unauthorized non-patriots". How stupid is that?

How are they patriots? The majority are still loyal to their country and their families (most of whom still live there). I know tons of farmers around here and my family is in the construction business, and after talks with several employers, the majority of them are only here to work seasonally and go back (Which isn't to overgeneralize and say all, only the majority of whom I've talked to and what statistics show.). The only thing they are loyal to is the American dollar and sending it back to their families. Which you really can't fault them for.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Massachusetts keeps trying to push this through.

The bleeding hearts say that the kids have no control over coming to this country illegally since mommy and daddy violated the law bringing them here and the children had nothing to do with it.

This idea is heavily pushed by the people who have never found a tax they did not like and are holier than thou Toyota Prius driving morons from the People's Republik of Chapel Hill.

However Erskine Bowles is now sucking at the public trough for life and I can guarantee you that these things will eventually pass somewhere and steam roll from there.

Meanwhile, some poor kid growing up in the slums and project of Durham, Greensboro, or Fayetteville, or on a farm in Wilson or Wilkesboro can't afford to go college themselves and is flipping burgers at Wendy's to help the family make ends meet.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    I just read a local paper that said the new pc term (pppbbbbtttttttttt) for them is "unauthorized non-patriots". How stupid is that?
    No one has ever accused me of being politically correct.

Thread Information