Forum Member

Default Any St. John's Co. Firefighters here?

I'm looking to get hired on and I had acouple of questions...

Forum Member

Shoot me a PM

Forum Member

Default Can't do a PM

I couldn't figure it out... But I basically turned in my app. Mon. Dec. 3rd and my friends already got letters asking about me on Wed. Dec 5th! I'm wondering if that's standard proceedure or if I'm catching a hiring session. I spoke to a shift capt. out at station 10 several months ago and he said they're hiring and that I needed to RUN down to the admin. offices as soon as I got my FCTI results back. Now I'm wondering if he was right on the money...

You live in J-ville and work down in St. Johns?

Forum Member

well im not sure about "friends receiving letters about you" a couple days after the fact. As far as i know there was a class of 13-18 slated to start after the beginning of the year. I dont know if candidates for that class have recieved thier letters yet, but you may have timed it right. Yes i live in the city and work in the county.

FYI to send a PM you click the persons name and it should give you an option to send them a private message. in the upper right hand corner of the page you have a welcome box with private messages highlighted. you can click there to check them, or goto your "User CP" and check there.

Forum Member

Default Timing...

Yhea, I hope it's a case of timing it right. The letters I'm referring to are letters to "people you've known for three years and are not family members" portion of the application. And I think my previous employers are getting letters, as well. Do you remember when you applied if they automatically started contacting references or is that something they do when they're pulling names for a recruit class? And how long is the recruit class?

And one more thing, I try to send you a PM like you were saying but it says those setting are turned off in my personal settings and I've tried editing my profile to send/accept personal messages but I had no luck. I think it's because I have a basic free membership and I don't pay to use the site. But my address is davesoutside@hotmail.com if you want to contact me...

What station do you work at?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by davesoutside View Post
    Yhea, I hope it's a case of timing it right. The letters I'm referring to are letters to "people you've known for three years and are not family members" portion of the application. And I think my previous employers are getting letters, as well. Do you remember when you applied if they automatically started contacting references or is that something they do when they're pulling names for a recruit class? And how long is the recruit class?

And one more thing, I try to send you a PM like you were saying but it says those setting are turned off in my personal settings and I've tried editing my profile to send/accept personal messages but I had no luck. I think it's because I have a basic free membership and I don't pay to use the site. But my address is davesoutside@hotmail.com if you want to contact me...

What station do you work at?
    "character references".

I wasnt aware when the county called my references. I believe recruit class is 5-6 weeks long. I am currently Stationed in Ponte Vedra Beach.

When did your friend put his application in? They usually only contact refrences if they at least want to interview you. Its a waste of time to spend all that time on somebody they may not hire. The County is in a hiring freeze, but we should be having a new hire class sometime this spring 12-15 people.

Forum Member

Hey guys,

I just finished Fire School YESTERDAY. Night class is damn long let me tell you. But I would'nt change a thing. I learned a lot about firefighting and a lot about myself in the past 6 months.

Now the hard part, Getting a job.

I moved to St Augustine to get on with SJCFR. But with the Amendment 1 passage last night I fear that I wont be qualified for the job only having training and no real experience. I plan to gain experience with a ASI or Liberty until I can get a job.

Can someone tell me more about the hiring process for St. Johns? I hear all kinds of things....like they send out letter to your friends/ references. What do they ask them?

Do they give polygraphs still? What do they ask?

Any real info or tips or direction would be very appriciated. thanks!

Chris

Thread Information