Default Complete 100% stop at intersections?

What is everyones opinion and department policy on coming to a complete 100% stop at all red lights and stop signs?

Forum Member

Default Opinion

We have 2 red lights in our sister companies district. I personally stop at them on red under all conditions. When the entire intersection stops for me, I carefully move through. Always!!!! Stop signs too.......

Let's talk fire trucks!

Department policy states when can proceed through a controlled intersection at not more than 10MPH while using due regard.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnymilfire View Post
    What is everyones opinion and department policy on coming to a complete 100% stop at all red lights and stop signs?
    I only come to a complete stop if there are no cars blocking a lane for me.
    If it is two lanes each way, and both lanes have cars that are stopped and looking at me, I roll the stop. I don't EVER blow a red light or stop sign. I make sure that I have eye contact with the first car in each lane or I will come to a complete stop as far into the intersection as I can get away with. I figure that if I am into the intersection a bit then I am move visible.
    I really don't give a rats butt If I am not given the right of way. There are just times that people just don't hear or see me. Deaf people can't hear my siren so it doesn't pay to get worked up when someone doesn't yield. We are talking seconds vs. an accident where someone may get killed.

I never never never challenge traffic. They will move when they see me. I don't want them going home thinking that a fire engine almost hit them.

Forum Member

I hear that some people even stop at green lights.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

FD policy is complete stops at red lights and stop signs and wait until opposing traffic stops or yields right-of-way.

I drive an FD issued Crown Vic and get strange looks by people when I stop at intersections when responding. It seems some other drivers expect me to blow the red lights, just like some of the cops and the local ambulance drivers do
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    I hear that some people even stop at green lights.
    And for Unicorns!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer123 View Post
    I only come to a complete stop if there are no cars blocking a lane for me. If it is two lanes each way, and both lanes have cars that are stopped and looking at me, I roll the stop. I don't EVER blow a red light or stop sign. I make sure that I have eye contact with the first car in each lane or I will come to a complete stop as far into the intersection as I can get away with. I figure that if I am into the intersection a bit then I am move visible.
    If only more people thought like this....
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I handle intersections much like fireslayer. The other things that I take into account are the visability at the intersection, the time of day, and the speed of traffic crossing the intersection. I have a good idea which intersections I can roll through and which ones I need to stop at.

I've had similar instances as KenNFD, where people seem confused when I stop at an intersection to make sure everybody sees me and is stopping.

Forum Member

Default Stop signs and traffic lights

Fortunately, my dept received a grant 4 years ago for opticoms on our apparatus and the 4 traffic lights we have. As we travel down "Main St" we have 2 stop signs that some pretty much blow through. I slow down to less than 10 mph and proceed once I see a clear intersection. I have been told by many of the officers that I don't have to slow down so much. I then bring up the "due regard" and they just walk away. We are in a transition period of "old school" and "new school" and things are very interesting.

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't have stop lights where I live, I do stop at stop signs though.

Cool red lights

you should have to stop 100% then proceede. Not all drivers are smart.

Forum Member

if the intersection is CLEAR then go through ....................if in doubt STOP !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

YES... if we don't... we get our driving privileges taken away for 2 weeks and get sent to a driving course.
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Forum Member

Stop at the intersection even if it is green, then proceed with caution. Red lights and sirens guarantee nothing.

Forum Member

ask the driver in baltimore he'll give you the best answer. not trying to start $hit. stop 100% of the time.

MembersZone Subscriber

We had it as policy to come to a complete stop and they changed it to slow down as long as it is safe. Had alot to do with politics and lawsuits...and most of all response times.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

And here's one from another country - Australia

In my State - Victoria, the law gives us exemptions from obeying the rules if:
    "In the circumstances -
    1. the driver is taking reasonable care; and
    2. it is reasonable that the rule should not apply"
    Now, try to explain in court that it was 'reasonable' to disregard the rule, when somebody has died...

My organisation tops that with an SOP that tells us we must not "approach or enter an intersection unless" we are "able to give way and, if necessary, stop the vehicle to avoid a collision". I take those things as meaning we can, when travelling under lights and sirens, stop at a red light (or stop sign) and proceed when it is SAFE to do so. Better to arrive late, than not at all.

It looks hot in there

Here is another beautiful example of "red light ricky's"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6fmT9WjnDw

This is beyond unnaceptable...look at how long the light was green in the opposing direction, I'm pretty sure the engineer never touched the brakes either.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lcfd3610 View Post
    Stop at the intersection even if it is green, then proceed with caution. Red lights and sirens guarantee nothing.

Stopping are green lights is a dangerous practice. Anytime you do something unexpected by other drivers, you are risking an accident. Are you by any chance in LaFireEducators FD?

You should always proceed with caution, regardless if you are responding or going out for fuel.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Let's talk fire trucks!

I have to agree with the stopping for green lights idea. It causes confusion for the motoring public, and what does it accomplish? What happens when you stop (for a green light) in the left lane, and the citizens pass you on the right, following the traffic signal?

One answer to this? Opticom!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Exclamation

What does the state laws in your state say about speed and traffic signals and signs???

That is what you need to be concern with. If the department has rules and regulations about traffic signals and signs, saying that you must come to a complete stop and wait for the traffic to YIELD to the apparatus, then that is what you need to go by.

If you fail to stop for a red traffic signal and bust throught and are involved in an accident. Heaven help you, the officer and the department. I sure hope you have insurance and deep pockets to help you out.

Can you live with yourself, with killing someone, by running a red traffic signal and being in an fatal accident???? This includes other members on the apparatus too, should you kill them!!

I asked this question because our chief has mandated a 100% complete stop. I mean a total stoppage of the wheels and all motion forward. Always. There are many areas where it is not neccassery(spelling). There are many stop lights and stop signs in my city where I work. There are many where you can see in all directions clearly for long distances, slowing down to a safe speed and proceeding through with caution is sufficient. The law does not require a complete stop, but we must use due caution. I totally understand if I go through a red light and hit someone its my fault. I have been driving emergency vehicles long enough to know when its safe slow down and when to stop completely.
    Oh and I must say, stopping at a greenlight is dangerous and silly to even think about. It just causes the other drivers to be confused as to what to do.

Talking RED light or stop sign=stop!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neversaydie69 View Post
    ask the driver in baltimore he'll give you the best answer. not trying to start $hit. stop 100% of the time.
    I could not have put it better myself. I read about this a bit ago. I drive a ladder truck for my department and I had an acting in officer a while back that gave me **** for stopping at a red light @ 300 am as a wound up the siren and blasted the air horn (really his job but, you know how this goes). He said "I bet the neigbors love that" in a sarcastic manner refering to the noise the Siren and airhorns were making, and I replied "F#@* em' We're up, they're up, their tax dollars @ work". This trucks weighs in @ about 65,000 lbs and I would rather not blast through a light and hit a motorist or, my luck, a bus full of orphans. RED LIGHT=STOP or SLOW ENOUGH (below 5 mph) to stop if need be. Once again, it all comes down to when it happens and what you did to prevent it.

MembersZone Subscriber

We must abide by the following state law which includes stopping for a school bus when picking up/dropping off students:

The driver of a vehicle of a fire, police or recognized protective department and the driver of an ambulance shall be subject to the provisions of any statute, rule, regulation, ordinance or by-law relating to the operation or parking of vehicles, except that a driver of fire apparatus while going to a fire or responding to an alarm, or the driver of a vehicle of a police or recognized protective department or the driver of an ambulance, in an emergency and while in performance of a public duty or while transporting a sick or injured person to a hospital or other destination where professional medical services are available, may drive such vehicle at a speed in excess of the applicable speed limit if he exercises caution and due regard under the circumstances for the safety of persons and property, and may drive such vehicle through an intersection of ways contrary to any traffic signs or signals regulating traffic at such intersection if he first brings such vehicle to a full stop and then proceeds with caution and due regard for the safety of persons and property, unless otherwise directed by a police officer regulating traffic at such intersection. The driver of any such approaching emergency vehicle shall comply with the provisions of section fourteen of chapter ninety when approaching a school bus which has stopped to allow passengers to alight or board from the same, and whose red lamps are flashing.

Thread Information