MembersZone Subscriber

Default Extra credit test points

Does anyone out there know of any dept that gives extra points on an entrance exam to applicants if that person's parent died while employed with the city their testing for or died in the line-of- duty for the city their testing for? Any feedback is appreciated.

Forum Member

I know Garland Texas does. It's a suburb of Dallas, and it is civil service.

Forum Member

NYS civil service law awards points to applicants testing if your parent died in the line of duty in the municipality you are testing with.

this seesm like an odd question though

Forum Member

If you are asking this question for you or someone you know, perhaps you should be checking with that individual city. If your parent died in LODD in one city and you are looking for points in another, I doubt you'll get it.

Again this should be an individual question for a specific department, unless you want to know if there are cities out there that offer additional test points for a parent's LODD....then the answer is yes, but shouldn't need to be specified.

Forum Member

Children of police officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty in MA placed at the top of the list.

MGL Ch 31 S 26

"...a son or daughter of a firefighter or a police officer...shall have his or her name placed in the first position on the eligible list...if: (1) in the case of a firefighter, such firefighter while in the performance of his duties and as the result of an accident while responding to an alarm of fire or while at the scene of a fire was killed or sustained injuries which resulted in his death; or (2) in the case of a police officer, such police officer while in the performance of his duties and as a result of an assault on his person was killed or sustained injuries which resulted in his death..."

MembersZone Subscriber

I posed the question because we had a member die suddenly of a heart attack 2 years ago. He was 40. And recently had a PD LODD. Both men have children. I would like our civil service commission to grant their sons and/or daughters extra points if they ever decide to become police officers or firefighters for our city. I'm hoping to gain info on this forum so when I approach our civil service commission, I have quality data. Please keep it coming!

MembersZone Subscriber

nameless:

Can you provide me with any links to the pertinent civil service documents? I searched the site on the internet, but couldn't find any language about the extra points. Thank you

Thread Information