Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Recommendations for POV Lights

Hi everyone. I just got a new car since, its a 1998 Honda CRV, not great but it will do. Now I am looking for recommendations for lighting and sirens for my car. In West Virginia, the law is Red lights with siren. I didn't have lights on my old so I am new to the buying of POV Lights. I am looking for LEDs but not a light bar. But could anyone give some recommendations on good dash lights/sirens/waggers/grille lights/ect. Thanks

Forum Member

Your question is not one easily answered. It's like asking for advise on what kind of fire truck to buy. The answer is always, "it depends".

Are you responding to the station or the scene?

Will your vehicle be used for traffic control?

Do you have to deal with controlled intersections?

Are you good with wiring, or are you looking for plug 'n play?

How much money are you looking to spend?

www.strobesnmore.com is a good starting point.

Forum Member

I'll be the ***** on this one. I say no lights are the best.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    OK, I will be ***** #2. I say no lights are the best for whom?????????????????
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

OK to reply here. I will be mainly responding to station. Plug and play OR wiring is fine with me, but again no light bars. No my car will not be used for traffic control. As for money, I have not a clue what is reasonable when it comes to a full setup, so I can buy things one or two at a time or so. Just some good recommendations would be nice, but lets not get too expensive.

And yes I do need lights, my department covers one of the largest areas in the county and I live a pretty good distance from the department (around 12 min normal drive). Without lights/siren, I will never make the first or second truck in most cases and I can't respond to the scene without lights/siren.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Ditto.

Er...based only on the size of your hometown. What is the department policies? Responding to scene? Station?

Is the realized benefit going to far offset the liability?

Forum Member

Never could undestand sirens on pov. I say one single LED in whatever color your state allows. You get one that flashes a dozen different patterns and your set. Here in NY they ignore them anyway, they dont even yield to firetrucks or ambulnces anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rescuedawg View Post
    Never could undestand sirens on pov. I say one single LED in whatever color your state allows. You get one that flashes a dozen different patterns and your set. Here in NY they ignore them anyway, they dont even yield to firetrucks or ambulnces anymore.
    Well as you see in my other post the reason why I need a light in POV. And state law says the it has to be visible from 360 or I would just get an LED and that would be that.

Forum Member

One LED for the dash with multiple patterns and strobes for the parking and tail lights is the most any POV should have, and that is pushing it.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    OK, I will be ***** #2. I say no lights are the best for whom?????????????????

I think the only way you should have lights and sirens in a POV is if you are a Chief Officer, your in a urban style area where traffic could be a major issue getting to the hall in a timely fashion or you respond on a major highway. But the highway thing does not make sense to me. Someone who lives in rural butt**** nowhere who doesn't see a car for 10 minutes does not need to have a technicolor dreamcar.

On all that though,IMO no POV's should respond to any incident on a highway,interstate whatever you call it, unless of course your on the highway in that area. Only person I sort of think should is a Chief or D/C. People are bad enough when it comes to the BRT on the highway, add 15 or however many POV's to the picture and it could end up being a catastrophe.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow POV Lights

Don't be offended Mike. But this subject seems to be a touchy one with alot of people here and that's because of the volunteers who are new and over aggressive are always eager to have lights on their POV's.

Study shows that driving code-3 dramatically increases the odds of being in a MVA (Accident) even when you are driving very safely in code-3. Check with your department regarding this subject. If they have no SOP's then the next step will be to check with the local law enforcement. In some states POV's are NOT concidered to be emergency response vehicles.

In short, you had better check on what is allowed in your area or you could run the risk of getting in trouble with the local law enforcement. This kind of situation also gives rural volunteers a bad name.

In my state (Arizona) POV's are not emergency response vehicles. I do however have amber lights on my POV. (Go ahead and let the tow-truck jokes start flying.) This is because I will NOT drive with these lights on unless I happen to come up on a scene in my POV and will put them on ONLY for the purpose of increased scene safety. I will not drive with them on and I have NO desire to drive with them on. I learned from the studies and I drive in what I consider to be in "Stealth mode". This means the odds of me being involved in a MVA go down drastically and I arrive safely.

Ok the fact of the matter here is that I am not looking to go out and make my car a Technicolor dream car. I just need to have some lights to be visible from 360. Because I live far away I will NEVER make a truck if I don't go code 3. And in WV my vehicle is a Emergency Response Vehicle.

But we are so off topic here its not even funny. This thread isn't here to discuss whether or not I should have lights on my POV, but to get recommendations on good and visible lights that can be used. Thats all I need, I know the pros and cons of the lights because I have had a long sit down with my chief, but he agrees with my reasons and gave me permission. So drop it and please help me with some recommendations.

Forum Member

One only has to look at the line of duty deaths each year and you will see over 50% of them involve vollies and their pov. Slow down, if its big enough it'll be there when you get there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFF19 View Post
    Hi everyone. I just got a new car since, its a 1998 Honda CRV, not great but it will do. Now I am looking for recommendations for lighting and sirens for my car. In West Virginia, the law is Red lights with siren. I didn't have lights on my old so I am new to the buying of POV Lights. I am looking for LEDs but not a light bar. But could anyone give some recommendations on good dash lights/sirens/waggers/grille lights/ect. Thanks
    First of all, you have come to the wrong place for advice. You need to be talking to your department officers to get a copy of your SOP/SOGs. And then you need to go one step further and contact your county and state law enforcement agencies and find out the motor vehicle laws for your area.

Now......after you have done this, you need to get the training that will enable you to drive safely to the station/scene. The most important training that you can receive will be the one that changes your "driving attitude". This will help with your driving more than anything else. Good luck in helping your community and doing it safely.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Talking

Poor Mike, there have always been strong feelings on L&S on the vollie side. It seems to me you have checked the laws in your state, as you stated it is red with siren. I would like the others said, 1st figure out how much you will use them and for what. As for lights I would go with LED as they have less pull on your electrical system. Corner strobes are always a great added touch (Make sure they are at least 40 watt or greater). I like the TIR 3 for grills and you can order a great licence plate holder for them. As for a dash light I like the Signal Mini Phantom light or any of the visor lights. As for a siren they all screem, figure out what tones you want and go shopping. The hardest thing will be finding a space for your speaker. I would go with any of the flat low profile ones. Remember they are cheaper with out the PA... I have found www.needlights.com as the cheapest for new and ebay for used. Let me know if you need any more info... D

Yah, if you are in, or south of Dutchess county...forget about it. It's like running a green light in NYC (i know...it's a joke).

anyways, I have the Whelen Slim Miser. It's only like 80 bucks and it works real well.

Forum Member

I have a wheelin tallon works awsome but if you need something you can see from 360 just get a small teardrop with a magnet on it and everytime you go to a call just throw it on the roof. then when your not on a call take it off

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a problem with your comments mike about saying you will never make the first or second truck out if you don't run lights/siren. Just b/c you have them doesn't give you the oppurtunity to drive like a maniac to get to the station to make one of the trucks. If they are responding now with enough guys in them, why do you need to rush to get to the station? Now you also said about going to the scene, and can't do so without lights/siren, ok I can understand having lights while on scene as added precaution. Since you say you are from morgantown, do you M.A. into pa at all? if you do have to respond to the scene, there are some law enforcement officers that might have a problem with you responding over the state line in a pov with lights/siren, so that's something else to think about. You will probably catch a lot of flack on this thread especially since it's your first posts, don't take it the wrong way but there are some people on here that don't like pov's to have lights, and this sort of topic has been bashed around on here several times.

Forum Member

Ok the fact of the matter here is that I am not looking to go out and make my car a Technicolor dream car. I just need to have some lights to be visible from 360. Because I live far away I will NEVER make a truck if I don't go code 3. And in WV my vehicle is a Emergency Response Vehicle.

But we are so off topic here its not even funny. This thread isn't here to discuss whether or not I should have lights on my POV, but to get recommendations on good and visible lights that can be used. Thats all I need, I know the pros and cons of the lights because I have had a long sit down with my chief, but he agrees with my reasons and gave me permission. So drop it and please help me with some recommendations.
    Mike you dont need it to be seen in a 360 degree view unless that is your stations policy. I would very highly recommend a mini phantom (small led) type of light. I know several people with similar lights that are bright and get the job done very well and in fact I will be getting one for my vehicles soon. BTW... you are not to far from me and if you'd like to talk just shoot me a pm and I'll see what I can do and btw it dont have to be all red you can have it split red/clear but sometimes the clear over powers the red so be careful with that choice!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Somebody is getting a little touchy, (tick tock tick tock tick tock, waiting for the bomb to go off!!!)
    Shut the nozzle stupid, thats' smoke not fire!

Let's talk fire trucks!

One only has to look at the line of duty deaths each year and you will see over 50% of them involve vollies and their pov. Slow down, if its big enough it'll be there when you get there.
    While MVA's do account for a percentage of yearly LODD's, only a handful of them are related to POV response. It's nowhere near 50%....
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Just say NO!

Forum Member

Well as you see in my other post the reason why I need a light in POV. And state law says the it has to be visible from 360 or I would just get an LED and that would be that.

Mike they do not state that they have to be visible from 360 degree's. If so the only ways we could do this is to have lightbars or deck lights front/rear of the car or hidden strobes linked to another forward facing light. I would say that 98% of the volunteer's that have permits to run red light and sirens dont have anything else then a forward facing light.

Just so other know here in WV you have to apply for a permit through your fire dept that has to be approved by the chief and then the state. Now there are many that dont have this permit but yet still run them and if they are caught they can be fined and/or arrested just depends on the officer that stops them. I have seen several that have had permits yanked because of the way they would respond to the station. In most dept's it states in the sop's that they have to respond to the station and can only respond to the scene if requested by an officer or they are passing the scene and then that is up to the OIC whether they can stay or not. In certain dept's that I've been with very few members have had a permit and those were only the one's that passed the chief's tests and showed enough responsablity that he knew you would be safe and would use your head using your own light/sirens.

Mike you should not have to worry about making the first or second truck out of the station because even if you do not make a truck you are providing support for the rest of your first due area as well as if they need any further equipment at the current scene so dont think that a red light/siren is a license to run people off the road and you do know that legally you can only drive 10mph over the posted speed limit when running L&S!

MembersZone Subscriber

Just to answer the question and provide another source.

micromanindustries.com

Good fellow firefighter who makes the lights up and they work really well. Have them in mine and the brush truck both. They are less than half the price of all the big names and work just as well.

Forum Member

gotta go with no lights just get there and be safe

Ghost
    Imagine Having done nothing.

150 years of tradition unhampered by progress!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information