Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Default What makes a or is a "good firefighter"

You know, when "Bill says...John..Oh yeah he was/is a "good firefighter". Or the other "he's forgotten more about fighin' fire that you'll ever know!" I hear that, and it always makes me wonder.

Is it because he was one of the "good ole' boys"? Been around for XX amount of years? The brother/cousin/father/son of the Asst. Chief?

I have met some of these guys that are supposed to be "good firefighters". And yet they have done nothing to show me as to how or why? Yeah maybe they could "stand the heat". But, they have no education or extra training other than the basic firemanship course or rookie course they took at the local firefighter convention 15 years ago. Or the last class they took was when they were at the academy!

To me a "good firefighter", is someone that continues to train hard every time. Takes courses when ever they are made available. One that shows the new guys how to do something, or gives little pointers. Shows up for all calls (as a vollie) or does the full shift or doesn't call in sick (as a fulltimer.)

So what is your thought? What makes a "good firefighter"?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

It all comes down to point of view. Someone that I say is a good firefighter may not be seen in that same light by another.

To me, a good firefighter is someone who is dependable, give his/her all all the time, and is knowledgeable. Others might have more or different criteria for what they call a good firefighter.

Regardless firefighters that are good by everyone's standards are a dying breed these days.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

It's all about culinary skills.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    It's all about culinary skills.

Of all people that post here regularly. I assumed that you would have a better reply than that.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post

Of all people that post here regularly. I assumed that you would have a better reply than that.
    I guess I should have put one of those smiley faces so you would know I was making a feeble attempt at humor.

I'll take a crack at it.

It's knowing your job (both outside and inside the station) and then doing it with a minimal amount of direction.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Call your priest to arrange a debriefing.A Miracle has occurred.I actually agree with SCfire.
    If you burn chow,the rest of the crew ain't going to like you much.
    Other things that make up a good firefighter include seeing things that need to be done and take care of them without it being on a schedule or the LT having to tell them to do it.
    Even if it's not on your rig,if you see someone doing a job best done by two folks,bear a hand and get the job done.You might learn something about the engine,truck or ambulance that you find useful later on.

Thread Information