Forum Member

Default NC Building Council Declines Proposal on Sprinklers in Some Homes

It's sad to see builders and contractors care more about money than they do about the well being of the residents of the homes.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/2155072/

Forum Member

Why do you feel this way? Are you so sure that the buying public would pay for such a feature? Would I? NO. Be honest, this question of sprinklers only came up because of a beach house fire that killed some students...and there was an outcry that they "could have been saved by sprinklers". Maybe. If the beach house had been constructed of all concrete there may have not been a fire at all. I'm all for making life safe...but not for knee-jerk reactions.
    Neighbors Helping Neighbors

Forum Member

1st off, it's not the builders that pay for the sprinklers...it's the buyer of the house. The contractors would get to pocket a little more money (markup on the sub).

What WOULD have saved those kids would have been as simple as a monitored smoke alarm system. I have a full security system for $25 per month, but the same company does monitored fire only for residential for $10 per month. Heck, just an outside siren on interlinked smoke detectors would have alerted neighbors who would have more than likely investigated.

I hit the 'test' button on my smoke alarm back before Christmas. Not only did all the inside units go off, the outside siren sounded, and within 30 seconds, the phone rang from the alarm company checking if there was an actual emergency (state law requires that they attempt to confirm before relaying dispatch to fire/police).

Interlinked smoke detectors are required by code. It would cost maybe a total of twenty bucks to add on an outside loudspeaker fire alert. That alone would have saved some, or all of them. I'm sure the smoke detectors were going off well before 7am when the fire was seen from outside by a neighbor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kvfd56 View Post
    Why do you feel this way? Are you so sure that the buying public would pay for such a feature? Would I? NO. Be honest, this question of sprinklers only came up because of a beach house fire that killed some students...and there was an outcry that they "could have been saved by sprinklers". Maybe. If the beach house had been constructed of all concrete there may have not been a fire at all. I'm all for making life safe...but not for knee-jerk reactions.
    ok, lets play your silly game.....Lets say they tried to enact building codes that required all residential construction to be of concrete.......Do you think that the logging/lumber industry (with the same lobbyists and corporate purses as the truss manufacturers) would stand still and allow a code like that to pass?

Why is wanting to pass a sprinkler ordinance a knee-jerk reaction? I bet next week's lunch money that those who were pushing for it have been doing so for quite some time; they only used the recent deaths as an attempted means of momentum for their cause. Check out the National Home Builders Association's web site- they have an actual "war package" that they send out to members in municipalities who are considering residential sprinkler ordinances. Read some of their BS propaganda sometime.....It will make you want to throw up!

And, just out of curiosity, why would'nt you want sprinklers in your home?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    And, just out of curiosity, why would'nt you want sprinklers in your home?
    "It won't happen to me."
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

*BUMP*

Want to see if KVFD will come back out to play.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information