Thread: Boots!!

Forum Member

Cool Boots!!

As an Explorer/Jr. FF, have any of you bought your own structural FF boots? (Leather or Rubber).
    Last edited by Delta107; 04-12-2008 at 07:35 PM.

No

don't do it

its a waste of money

Forum Member

No.

Don't do it.

It's a waste of money.

They're department-issued already.

And it's almost Christmas... Santa's watching...
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I did as a junior one time, after my rubber boots (which were the right size) rubbed bloody blisters on the back of my feet. Best fire related purchase I have ever made.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    I did as a junior one time, after my rubber boots (which were the right size) rubbed bloody blisters on the back of my feet. Best fire related purchase I have ever made.
    I don't have that problem anymore because I'm gellin'.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

It was the top of the heel of my feet. Almost at the Achilles Heel. It's ok though, I've been wearing the same pair of Throughgoods since I was 16 and I'm going on 22. They've still got alot of life left in them.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    It was the top of the heel of my feet. Almost at the Achilles Heel. It's ok though, I've been wearing the same pair of Throughgoods since I was 16 and I'm going on 22. They've still got alot of life left in them.
    I've always heard good things about Throughgoods...
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Talking

We were issued them w/ our turnouts

Forum Member

If your a jr. or an explorer and your dept didnt issue you them i wouldnt run out and get some leather boots. Thats alot of money to spend. Just get some rubber boots and make sure they fit comfotably.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey311 View Post
    If your a jr. or an explorer and your dept didnt issue you them i wouldnt run out and get some leather boots. Thats alot of money to spend. Just get some rubber boots and make sure they fit comfotably.
    If you get them now, however, you'll have them when you become a full firefighter. If you want the boots, buy them. Make sure, however, that the fire service isn't just a passing interest to you.

Forum Member

The department should issue them to you. I was issued rubbers when i first joined and got leathers the next time they placed an order for boots.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

My department issued boots fit amazing well, at least compared to listening to everyone else complain, I guess I am the only one with boots that fit well.

The only outside of department stuff I have bought is a flashlight and some small doo-dads and a leather helmet.

Forum Member

I tried the Globe Magnums on at the Combat Challenge over the summer, the ones I tried were shoe fit, they were schweet! But don't spend money on them, explorers just need safe gear that does the job.

My real boots are 10.5 Firewalkers
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

Forum Member

I have no idea what half the gear I am wearing is... the boots are worn... and the jacket and pants are just miss matches. though the helmets are fairly new. All I know is I trust the fire department to equip me with gear that is safe reliable and able to protect me in the training that we get to do. The only thing I bought was a pair of leather gloves and cheep little flashlight. Don't worry about boots. (though i am just talking from my experiences as an explorer and have fairly no idea what your post is like.)
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have to buy a pair of leathers, watch eBay. I bought a pair of leathers when I was hired full time (they only issued rubbers) and got them off of eBay. I maybe paid half of what they cost new, and they were fine. I couldn't detect any wear on them.

Any of the leathers on the market will be a HUGE step up from rubber boots.

Best part of the pair I bought online was that just about the time I wore them out I found a recall for them on the IAFF site, and I got a nice new set of leather boots from the manufacturer. Can't beat that...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by t0asty View Post
    I have no idea what half the gear I am wearing is... the boots are worn... and the jacket and pants are just miss matches. though the helmets are fairly new. All I know is I trust the fire department to equip me with gear that is safe reliable and able to protect me in the training that we get to do. The only thing I bought was a pair of leather gloves and cheep little flashlight. Don't worry about boots. (though i am just talking from my experiences as an explorer and have fairly no idea what your post is like.)
    Most posts get gear handed down when the dept. replaces it's inventory. They could also buy surplus gear or they get stuff donated thru other depts.
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

god

Question

somewhat on the topic...

do any of y'all or know FF in general that replace the (I can't think of the actual name) 'insert' in the boot and upgrade to a nicer one (purchased wherever regular shoes are bought)

I ask because my boots fit fine, however after standing for a while my feet do start to hurt

thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead90 View Post
    Most posts get gear handed down when the dept. replaces it's inventory. They could also buy surplus gear or they get stuff donated thru other depts.
    Yah what we have is the old handed down gear. (the department just went from tan to black gear). but they still keep it more or less in good condition. I think the only new explorer specific gear is the Tactical Tupperware but that is still old stuff.

And mikie: are you talking about orthodontics(sp?)? but no I have not heard of anyone doing that. would not surprise me if someone has. But I know how you feel. feet hurt after standing in my boots too long. Just something I live with once a week.
    Last edited by t0asty; 12-22-2007 at 08:23 PM.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

For crying out loud! BUY YOURSELF A PAIR OF BOOTS!

I will never understand someone tolerating foot pain and blisters, simply because they're too cheap or stubborn to buy a pair of boots.

Your feet are extremely important! If you can't walk, climb, stand or function properly because your boots are worn out or don't fit well, either requisition a new pair, OR BUY YOUR OWN!
    A person that can't perform 100% because their feet are hurting is a liability on the fire-ground...Even if that person is only a Junior.

...Just my .02 cents...
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by t0asty View Post
    Yah what we have is the old handed down gear. (the department just went from tan to black gear). but they still keep it more or less in good condition. I think the only new explorer specific gear is the Tactical Tupperware but that is still old stuff.

And mikie: are you talking about orthodontics(sp?)? but no I have not heard of anyone doing that. would not surprise me if someone has. But I know how you feel. feet hurt after standing in my boots too long. Just something I live with once a week.
    Ah you are actually thinking of orthotics.....orthodontics are things like plates and braces....teeth stuff that are applied by an orthodontist.
    You get custom orthotics from a podiatrist and standard footbed from your local walmart/sports store.....try the gel footbeds....great on those long HAZMAT incidents
    Def: Orthotics is the field concerned with the application and manufacture of orthoses, devices which support or correct human function

god

so it is not uncommon for something to get a brand-name (Gellin' or whatever it is) insert?

I probably will somewhat soon buy boots but in the interim...

(thanks for the great responses)

Forum Member

Smile Thanks, Happy Holidays

I know they are issued with your turnout gear. I was issued miss matched sizes that were to big. I asked if I could get a smaller size, I did. Now I fill I got worse boots then before. I'm the kind of person that just dosen't like to mess with my feet. I'm going to go purchase some Warrington-Pro 4132sg's.
    If you have any opinions on these boots please posts and I have searched the topic. Thanks for all your post's, and have a safe and happy holidays.

Forum Member

Default I waited...

I'm a probie now, but just some advice...

I have waited to buy my own structural boots. As a junior, especially w/o training, etc. its a waste of money to buy your own boots since they are issued to you by the FD anyways. When you are hired as a probie or FF, it might be nice. If you are going to buy boots, i would recommend the Globe Magnum 14" pull-ons. --- LINK ---
    Everyone Goes Home --- Prevent LODDs
    Visit www.everyonegoeshome.com

• Wear Your Seatbelt! --- Every Time, Every Call, No Matter What!
    • Pay Attention to the PASS --- Every time you hear a PASS, realize this time it might be the real deal!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rtrudeau View Post
    I'm a probie now, but just some advice...

I have waited to buy my own structural boots. As a junior, especially w/o training, etc. its a waste of money to buy your own boots since they are issued to you by the FD anyways. When you are hired as a probie or FF, it might be nice. If you are going to buy boots, i would recommend the Globe Magnum 14" pull-ons. --- LINK ---
    So, please explain for me how having properly fitting and comfortable boots is a waste of money?
    I just can't understand this type of rationale .

How can you justify wearing worn out, or ill-fitting boots just because you're a junior, when you can have your own comfortable boots that will likely last you for several years to come? Why wait?

By the way, since you recommend them, are you currently wearing the Globe Magnums?
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

If it is that bad for you, meaning your dept issued boots are that bad, its up to you if you want to buy your own boots. I only see it as a waste of money before you are a firefighter because at least on our department, there is no gaurantee that you get hired after you have been in the cadet program.

I do not currently have a pair of Magnums. However, I recommend them because I have tried on a few people's who wear the same size as me, and they are very comfortable. They fit like a slipper and are easy to walk in. Also, I know people who have bought other boots such as Warringtons, and Thorogoods and they have had problems with them. For example, People have said the Warringtons get very bad traction in winter weather (I'm from Mich.) and the Magnums have a nice tread on them providing good traction on snow and ice. Some with Warringtons also had a problem.. something to do with the toe separating or something like that.

Its totaly up to an individual, I only wanted to voice my opinion and share what I know. Thats what the forum (and this thread) is for, people's opinions and knowledge. If anyone else has a different one or even if they want to agree with me, they can post about it too.

BTW.. I will be purchasing Magnums as soon as I save enough out of my fire check.
    Last edited by rtrudeau; 12-29-2007 at 02:31 AM.
    Everyone Goes Home --- Prevent LODDs
    Visit www.everyonegoeshome.com

• Wear Your Seatbelt! --- Every Time, Every Call, No Matter What!
    • Pay Attention to the PASS --- Every time you hear a PASS, realize this time it might be the real deal!

Thread Information