MembersZone Subscriber

Question Recipe for Protein Shake

I recently purchased "EAS Myoplex Original Chocolate Cream" protein mix. I make it with just skim milk and ice. Is there anything else I can add to make it taste better? I've tried bananas but what else can I do? Thanks.

Forum Member

I don't use milk. I mix it with Cran Raspberry juice and fresh or frozen blueberrys and raspberrys and Ice

you can add a lot of different things.. I like to add peanut butter and/or oats. Vanilla protein mixed with various frozen fruits is good too. I guess it depends exactly what you're looking for: you could add honey also.

I also add peanut butter to chocolate protein shakes. The possibilities are endless, just experiment with things you like. Trial & Error.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

Eh there-

In my experience with EAS I've found the Myoplex to be particularly dire tasting. I know the vanilla was so bad I couldn't mix it with anything and ended up negotiating a refund out of EAS. Maybe it's just me, but the stuff mixes like cement and shakes like cottage cheese ie not very well.

You could try a few things- but frankly I think the nature of their "meal replacement" powder will prevent you from finding that "delicious" alternative.

I think you need to consider what you're taking the powder for. If you're just looking for a protein powder, get a protein powder- preferably the ISOwhey (from nearly any maker) that is already broken down and will help prevent bloating through the digestive process. Not to plug another product, but having been through the entire gamut I've found that Allmax nutrition's IsoFlex protein line to be absolutely delicious, with water or milk- and very easy to mix. Chocolate mint, peanut butter / chocolate, cookies and cream- awesome flavours all of them!

If you're actually looking for a meal replacement- well... quality wise EAS is around the top of the line but GAHD the stuff tastes horrible. If I recall, the pina colada didn't taste too bad. Good luck!
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Protein/G index etc

With summer quickly approaching, people are beginning to focus once again on exercising and healthy eating in preparation for the high-energy activities associated with warmer weather. Even EMS professionals, regardless of the shift they cover, can benefit from a cool drink on a hot day. That’s what makes summertime the perfect season to prepare cool, healthy blended drinks.

Fruit smoothies have enjoyed a surge in popularity, with a Jamba Juice on virtually every corner and pre-made juice mixes at your local grocery store. They make a great breakfast substitute or meal replacement and are perfect on a hot day.

However, depending on what goes into your smoothie, you may be encouraging your body to actually store more fat, rather than build lean muscle mass. If you are working out and trying to keep in shape, you might be introducing a meal replacement or snack that you think is healthy, but is actually encouraging fat storage. But how do you know what ingredients to use?

The Glycemic Index is a great way to choose what ingredients you put into the smoothie you are making (or buying). The Glycemic Index is the number value placed on the body’s insulin (or fat storage) reaction to a certain food when it is ingested. Straight protein (an egg white) is 0, and glucose is 100. The higher the number, the more intense the glycemic reaction, and the more apt your body is to store that calorie as fat. The lower the number, the less apt your body is to store it as fat.

Lower G-index foods can be most efficiently used as sustained energy for exercise or work. So keeping the G-index of your smoothie low will produce two results: it will lower your fat storage and give you longer-lasting energy.

When you blend a bunch of ingredients together, the G-index of the ingredients becomes blended together as well. So pairing a low G-index food with a high one will result in a medium index. A medium G-index food is less likely to store fat than the high G-index food, but more likely than the low G-index food. So carefully consider the fruits you purchase for your smoothies before you even go to the grocery store.

Many people like to put three or more types of fruit into their smoothies. The secret is to find a combination of three or four fruits that are low or medium on the G-index. While there are many differing G-index charts, I usually categorize the following fruits with low G-index: cherries, peaches, pears, oranges and plums.

Medium G-index fruits are: kiwi, mango, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and bananas. I would suggest avoiding higher G-index fruits like pineapple and watermelon. You can use fresh or frozen fruits, but not canned. Trader Joe’s or your grocery store should have a variety in the freezer section.

One method of bringing down the overall G-index of a smoothie is to mix in whey protein powder. It carries no fat into your body for storage. And: since the unsweetened powder has an index of 0, it can significantly alter your body’s fat storage tendency during the post-consumption phase.

Vegetarians have the option of using soy protein instead. In my research, I found several sources that state that soy protein also has an index close to 0. It carries about 83 percent protein and 9 percent carbs -- the rest is fat.

Protein powder not only brings down the G-index, it also is easily assimilated into your muscles after lifting weights or other high-impact exercises. A protein smoothie is a great way to cool off after a workout.

There are many options to choose from when deciding what liquid-based ingredient to add to your low G-index smoothie. Skim milk, soy milk, orange juice and apple juice are all within a 10-point range. So try out the ingredients you like and experiment with different combination of fruits and flavors.

Here are two recipes that I use regularly:

Berries and Cream:

2 cups ice cubes
    ¼ cup protein powder (you choose)
    1 cup skim milk
    ½ cup OJ
    4 cherries (pitted)
    ½ peach (pitted)
    4 raspberries
    4 Strawberries

Peach and Pear Pleaser:

2 Cups ice
    ¼ cup Protein powder
    1 ½ cup Apple Juice
    ½ pear
    ½ peach
    ¼ mango
    ½ banana

Just blend the ingredients together in any regular kitchen blender and enjoy. Now is the perfect time to make healthy diet and exercise choices in preparation for the warm summer months. A few things to remember:

1.Make a list of the fruits that have a low to medium G-index before you go to the store, and don’t deviate from the list.
    2.Always use protein powder (unsweetened) when making a smoothie.
    3.Go to the gym and train with weights three to five times per week. You have to earn your smoothie.

Dr. jen
    www.fireagility.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Another take on smoothies/protein shakes

Electrolyte balance ideas

The dog days of summer are coming. Diehard athletes many of you will be out in the heat playing hard and working hard all summer long. Hydrating is of upmost importance in the heat. Along with that, maintaining a balance of Electrolytes is necessary not only for energetic wrk/play, but for safety!

After much reading and research, I have found that electrolyte replacement drinks, if taken in during an event are hypertonic. In other words, they really need to be watered down about 50-50 with water for optimum usage by the body. Plus, many of them are laced with glucose/ fructose/sugar.
    What is the solution?
    Drink water and eat fruit! How much water and which fruits?
    Water:
    Start hydrating 48 hours before your big event. Drink 8 large glasses of water every day for the 2 days preceding your day in the heat. Add a 16 oz water bottle for each hour of work/play in the heat on those days. If you have hydrated like this, you should be able to stay well hydrated and withstand the heat. Drink a before you are thirsty- sit all day.
    Which fruits?
    Again, after a bunch of reading and research, I have picked the 4 fruits I think contain the most electrolytes, plus one that tastes good and has other properties that I think are important. The essential fruits are: bananas, cantaloupe, honey dew, and kiwi. To these, you can add strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, acai berries or black berries, for flavor and anti-oxidants.
    When to eat them?
    Like the water, start intake 2 days before your big event. Get them, and wash, clean, peel, and cut them. Have them on hand Wednesday night if your big day is Saturday. Make a big fruit salad out of them. Have them ready to go at any time during those 2 days.
    Fruit Salad: all cut into bite sized pieces
    4 bananas
    2 cantaloupes
    1 honeydew melon
    4 kiwis
    2 cups berries of your choice
    Cut a lemon in half and squeeze one half over the fruit. It will keep it from browning.
    Eat a cup of the fruit salad at every meal for the preceding 2 days, except:
    The night before, eat 2 cups fruit salad
    For breakfast the day of play, eat 2 cups (plus some protein/hard boiled egg whites)
    Take the rest in a Tupperware and cooler for game day. Eat it through out the day and between games. Eat other things through out the day. Eat protein. Keep it healthy. No fried or high fat food. Eat when you are hungry. Don't limit your calorie intake.
    Smoothies are very popular with everyone these days. There are a few hitches, though:
    Glycemic Index/sugar content:
    Keep the glycemic index of the smoothie down by adding soy or whey protein. This is important. In short, the lower the glycemic index of the smoothie, the longer the energy derived from the calories taken in. No Protein? It makes the glycemic index higher, and the nutrients burn like sugar. You risk a blood sugar drop soon after ingestion that could slow your player down at the wrong time.
    Protein powders can taste chalky. I take 2 scoops, but that takes viewing food purely as fuel. I can eat anything I need to eat if it serves my purpose better. Not everyone can do that. Keep that in mind.
    Use the fruits from the fruit salad. It's perfect for electrolytes, and it's in your fridge!
    You could even have a smoothie the night before for a treat!
    Smoothie Recipe:
    2 cups ice
    2 cups skim milk (soy or rice milk is ok)
    2 cups of fruit salad, all ingredients
    1 handful berries of choice
    1-2 scoops protein powder to taste
    Blend it, and put it in a to-go cup. Take it in the car on the way to the work day or play day. If you get full, stick it on ice. Drink it later.

Hope you have fun!

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Milk proteins, in particular the whey fraction, have a stimulating effect on insulin secretion (insulinotropic) in healthy individuals. Though whey may have a value of 0 on the glycemic index, research shows it certainly does raise insulin levels in the body. The mechanism is not known, but elevated concentrations of specific insulinogenic amino acids as well as bioactive peptides, either originally present in whey or formed during digestion, is possible. Additionally, the incretin hormones appear to be involved. Particularly, glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GLP) has been reported to increase significantly in blood plasma after whey ingestion.

A. Frid, M. Nilsson, J. Holst, et al. Effect of Whey on Blood Glucose and Insulin Responses to Composite Breakfast and Lunch Meals in Type 2 Diabetic Subjects. Am J Clin Nutr; 82:69-75 (July, 2005)

Raising insulin levels is best done post workout. You’re best bet is 25 grams of straight whey mixed with 40-50 grams of a simple carbohydrate like Gatorade, for a fast insulin response which will deliver vitals amino acids to the muscles after your workout.

Raising insulin anytime other than post workout is a bad idea. Anytime you raise insulin in the body (besides post workout) it signals the body to store fat.

I’m all for fruits ...during the day, but make them part of your meals and drop them from the shakes, unless you’re using berries.

When you mix whey and 3 or 4 fruits and fruit juice, it's no longer a protein shake... It's a carb shake.

Mixing a low glycemic fruit and a high glycemic fruit doesn’t result in a medium index. The glycemix index of mixed fruits and meals is very difficult to predict and the results would be based on individual response. Your shake would still most likely still be a high glycemic shake. You can get away with it if you use it post workout, however.

Here's a shake you can make in the morning or anytime during the day.

This Super Shake provides you with more nutrition in one gulp than most of your coworkers take in all day. Just blend all the ingredients together for 60 seconds, pour, and drink. (Don't worry; it tastes good.)

1 CUP GREEN TEA This no-calorie beverage has been shown to boost metabolism.
    1 SCOOP CASEIN PROTEIN Because casein is a type of milk protein that's slow-digesting, it'll provide a steady supply of protein to your muscles for hours.
    1 TBSP GROUND FLAXSEED Flaxseed is a healthy fat that's been shown to lower LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure in lab animals. Buy it preground at a health-food store.
    1/2 CUP FROZEN RASPBERRIES, BLUEBERRIES, BLACKBERRIES, OR STRAWBERRIES Packed with disease-fighting anti-oxidants, these fiber-filled fruits are four of the best foods known to man.
    1 TBSP MIXED NUTS Research shows that adding one or two handfuls of nuts to your daily diet reduces your risk of heart disease without leading to weight gain.
    1 TBSP GREENS+ The nutrient equivalent of six servings of fruits and vegetables a day, it's the best-kept secret in supplements.

Enjoy
    JC
    http://www.ultimatefirefighterworkout.blogspot.com

Forum Member

Cool Shakes

Ummmm, to get everyone to smile, I think I'll state that my favorite version of a healthy shake is the Chocolate Malt that can be purchased at the local Dairy Queen. Less work and oh, so good>>>>>>\

Thread Information