Forum Member

Question Anne Arundel County

Does anyone have any info. about Anne Arundel County fire?

They are hiring lateral entry FFII/PM's?

How do they staff? Do you rotate from the Engine to the Ambo's and back and forth?

Do the vollys and career get along?

Whats the salery and benefits like?

Any other input would be great?

Thanks.......

MembersZone Subscriber

The career staff run paramedic and medic units. The vollies can run a BLS ambo if they have one in the station. Some paramedics are pump operator qualified and get some driving time on engines or trucks. There are two paramedic engines. Currently, there is no rotation between ambos and supprssion pieces, but that may change some day. They make every new ff hire sign a "contract" to go through ALS training when the county decides to send you.

I believe the pay starts off around 45000 + overtime.

I like the benefits, but I've been told by my eye doctor that the vision plan is weak.

The 24/72 schedule is awesome.

The volly/career relationship varies from station to station. There are some volunteer stations with zero riding members. All but one station has at least two career ff's 24/7. Most engines and trucks ride with three(PO,Off,FF), some of the slower units ride with two.

Hope that helps. Let me know what else you need.

Forum Member

Lightbulb Anne Arundel County FD

Thanks for the reply. I dont hear many people talking about this fire department on here so I decided to give it a shot at a thread after I applied for the job. I am currently a paramedic from Southeastern PA., you live up here also, I saw your location on your post?
    24/72 would actually work out better than some of the other depts as a commute from PA. I have been looking in Maryland/D.C/NO.Va. area with the commute and all I'm not sure about moving?

A couple more questions in mind.... I probably came off wrong when I said rotation... do the FF/Pm's go back and forth to the Fire engines/Ambo. at the discretion of the station officer like some of the other county's or are you "permanent" ALS ambo? I don't care about riding the ambo. I just want know ahead of time what to expect...
    Also... on some of the station websites that I visited their staffing was 1 officer, 1 "pump op." and 1 FF , 1 FF/EMT-I and 2 FF/P's, do you guys rotate the FF/EMT-I to the medic unit and the 1 FF/P will rotate to the engine? Maryland has "I" level so was'nt sure about staffing on the Ambo.

Are you a "P"? how do they treat the "P"'s? ..red headed stepchildren?

Do "P"'s already certified have to any additional training besides ridetime and protocol tests, etc.?

Sorry to flood you, I just never hear anything about this place...

Thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Sorry for the late reply,USN. I haven't been on in a while.

Most of the time if you are a P you will be on the Medic. There are some stations that run a PM and a PO as the crew. If its a fire call they take the engine, an EMS call they take the Medic. You should plan on being on a medic unit. The county does not train I's any longer. All ALS training now is B to P. The last of the I's are pretty much finished their training and are being assigned to medic units. I am a B. I don't think the P's are treated poorly, although I cannot speak from experience. Many of our chiefs are P's and there are also a lot of Lt's that are P's. I do not know what additional training you would be required to get if you already have P certification.

I'll reply sooner to any new questions.

Happy New Year

Thread Information