MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Red face Holy Hand Grenades Batman!

Man avoids jail for massive weapons cache. Submachine-gun, tear gas grenades, blowgun and switchblades among 662 weapons seized

Jeff Bell, Times Colonist Published: Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ryerson Edward Knight, who Victoria police say had one of the largest caches of firearms ever seized by the department, has been given a community sentence of two years less a day for 19 weapons offences.

The 60-year-old James Bay resident was originally charged with 39 offences in October 2006, after police turned up 662 guns and other items in a search of his home. Knight eventually pleaded guilty to 19 charges and the rest were stayed by the Crown.

Knight, a longtime gun collector, was in possession of AK-47s, Uzis, tear gas grenades, a blowgun, illegal silencers, a Thompson submachine-gun and more. Police also found CS gas grenades, 119 illegal switchblade knives and 44,000 rounds of ammunition.

Some of the guns had serial numbers removed.

Crown counsel Patrick Weir had called for a jail sentence of three to four years. He previously told the court that much of Knight's collection was improperly stored and that he lived in an area prone to break-ins, creating a public-safety risk.

In sentencing Knight yesterday, provincial court Judge Loretta Chaperon also ordered that his entire collection be forfeited and that Knight be banned from firearm ownership for 10 years.

"Those orders form a large part of why I imposed a conditional sentence of two years less a day rather than prison," Chaperon said.

Knight, dressed in a dark suit, was flanked by family members in the courtroom and also had a number of friends in the gallery showing their support.

For the first nine months of his sentence, Chaperon said Knight will be under house arrest and can leave his home only for work or medical emergencies. Following that, he will have to obey a daily curfew of 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.

Knight is also banned from drinking alcohol.

"This is a jail sentence in the community," Chaperon said. "I want it to be a total house arrest during that nine months." She said Knight will never be allowed to be a gun collector again, and that the Crown's concerns about some of his associates should be moot.

"I don't consider Mr. Knight a danger to the community," she said.

The overall value of Knight's former collection was not available, but it is likely well into the six-figure range. A single item, a Browning handgun inlaid with gold filigree, was valued at about $25,000 by a witness during one of Knight's court appearances.

As per regulations, some of the firearms could end up at an approved museum, some could be used by police for training or forensic purposes and some could be destroyed.

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007

Part of a cache of 662 weapons seized at a James Bay residence in October 2006 are laid out on a table at the Victoria Police Department.
    Darren Stone, Times Colonist
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

"AK-47s, Uzis, tear gas grenades, a blowgun, illegal silencers, a Thompson submachine-gun and more. Police also found CS gas grenades, 119 illegal switchblade knives and 44,000 rounds of ammunition."

That's not a bad little collection there.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh no, not the dreaded assault blowgun!

Seriously though, are blowguns considered illegal in Canada?
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

That's kinda a shame. It sounded like a nice collection.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've give a left testicle just to have 1/3 of that collection

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    I've give a left testicle just to have 1/3 of that collection
    No joke man. A couple AK's,Uzi's and the Thompson Sub Machine gun would make me happy.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Hey JHR
    I noticed you said "a" left nut....u never specified who's......

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

From reading the article, it would appear that basically only two things got him into trouble. One being he did not have an approved lock up for the weapons. That would be a concern in any juristiction, I would think. Second is that I am not sure if he was a registered gun collector. But number 1 would be the bigger concern.

Otherwise, ya I agree, was a pretty kuul collection.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information