Thread: 2 Underages

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation 2 Underages

I am currently attending a college in which I will graduate with an Associates Degree in Fire and Emergency Sciences which includes my Fire 240, EMT, and Paramedic, as well as other various certifications like dispatch, defensive driving of emergency vehicles, and my wildland red card. I have 2 pending underage consumption charges in the state of Ohio in two different county courts. I have been told this will make is hard for me to get hired.... what are my chances... any advice... anything please help

Forum Member

Im going through a background check right now, they were very big on alcohol and drug use. I guess they even try to have guys admit to using alcohol on the psych test. Maybe other cities are different, but the one I am getting checked by is huge on that stuff.

Forum Member

nameless-

just curious... what department do you speak of?

MembersZone Subscriber

YES, this is a BIG issue. One has to wonder how much you drink. To get cited TWICE shows a pattern. To get cited once for underage drinking is not good. To get cited twice shows a problem.
    The background investigator will spend a great deal of time speaking to your friends and relatives about your drinking habits. Alcoholism is a problem in the fire service. Departments will be reluctant to hire someone who has demonstrated a drinking problem.
    Lastly, underage drinking is illegal.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

yes honesty is the best policy.
    I know everyone will tell you to tell them everything in your past.
    I'll just say that I know SEVERAL people on the job in different areas that have things in their background that are very bad, but they are great firemen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johhnyboy View Post
    nameless-

just curious... what department do you speak of?

Don't like to give out too much information about myself, but its a Department in New York state that isn't FDNY.

Forum Member

Too often I receive calls from candidates who ask, “What do I do now” after they have spend time, money, education and put their lives on hold for years only to be taken out at one of the hiring stations.

For some they are clouded and domed before they ever take their first step because of something in their past, job history, criminal record, credit, driving record or domestic violence. They still believe though that they have a shot.

They have convinced themselves by the four inches between their ears that they have an explanation about what has happened in the past that will convince those in the hiring process they’re the right candidate. So, like you they pack on all kinds of credentials, degrees, experience, academy, paramedic, etc. thinking this will erase the problems of the past. Then, they don't face it until it's staring them in the face when they start testing or at the next step in the hiring process.

Those in the hiring process have heard all the stories. What are you going to say that could keep you in the hiring process since you had not one but two underage drinking citations and have 100 other candidates who don't? You probably did it a 100 times and was only caught twice. How about other drugs?

The application and background packet will ask you in several different ways, “Have you ever”. Computers don’t forget. If you don’t put it down they find it your immediately eliminated from the hiring process.

Where is can really play out is in the psych evaluation where up to 40% of candidates fail. With problems in your past the doc will ask you some difficult questions that could take the wheels off your wagon.

Too many candidates walk in flat-footed once they’re given a conditional job offer and are eliminated in the psych, poly and medical. These are unchartered waters where you need to be prepared in advance before you show up. These are experts who are being paid to take you out.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

JohnnyB,

Capt.Bob pretty much sums it up for you... underage drinking does not automatically disqualify you---but depending on the time frame from your last conviction (2nd offense) & today will play the "maturity" card with your interview board.

The HR people within my FD won't touch a DUI/DWI for @ least 5 years past conviction. PERIOD. And we are interviewing 2 people next week that have priors for this.... & yes one of them has 2!!! UNBELIEVABLE.

So, get your head on straight---strap in---and get ready for the pros to break you down---this is just the beginning. Good Luck!

Forum Member

If all you have are a couple underages, then keep your nose clean and let your actions demonstrate you've learned your lesson. Thats all I can say. Realistically, I'd focus on just being a good citizen first.

I had a couple when I younger. I'm 29 now and haven't been in any form of trouble for many years, and have been "greenlighted" by B.I.'s because my actions have demonstrated I learned my lesson, that my problems were behavioral and that I've grown up.
    I also have some life experience (4 year degree, business/work experience, lots of community involvement/charity) and that has probably helped.

Just focus on doing the next right thing from here on out. If you do right things, then right things will happen. I can't speak for the fire department or any B.I. but can say (with a high degree of probability) that you stand a much better chance if you NEVER get in trouble again.

Thanks -

PHC
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 12-14-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    What are you going to say that could keep you in the hiring process since you had not one but two underage drinking citations and have 100 other candidates who don't? You probably did it a 100 times and was only caught twice.
    So has everyone else in college and probably high school. I'm not trying to justify it, however I bet all the candidates have consumed alcohol well over 100 times prior to turning 21. In fact, I bet the people conducting the interviews and doing the hiring are just as guilty. It is rather hypocritical to hold it against the one person who got caught if the person is a qualified candidate.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default Don't Waste Anymore Of Your Time

The guy who started this thread is a totally full of crap. He just loves making up these pity stories and asking people to "PLEASE HELP" because he's "SO SCARED." Don't fall for it.

According to other threads he's started, he supposedly had numerous misdemeanor charges for things like criminal damaging, trespassing, possession of drug paraphernalia, etc. He also says he had two 5th degree felony charges as a juvenile for receiving stolen property and counterfeiting. He claims to have just turned 18 in March and that he's smoked marijuana since then.

Now, in this thread, he says that he has two pending charges for underage drinking, but still wants to know what his chances are of getting hired as a firefighter - GIVE ME A BREAK! Does anyone really believe this?
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    So has everyone else in college and probably high school. I'm not trying to justify it, however I bet all the candidates have consumed alcohol well over 100 times prior to turning 21. In fact, I bet the people conducting the interviews and doing the hiring are just as guilty. It is rather hypocritical to hold it against the one person who got caught if the person is a qualified candidate.
    Going to have to agree with you on this....As was mentioned before, what really matters is how maturity can be shown now. EVERYONE has made mistakes in their life, most of them though do not end up with a police citation. I'd bet my azz that everyone has exceeded the speed limit at least once. So how hard do they come down on candidates with speeding tickets? Fact of the matter is, the candidate is just one of the ones who got caught. Let's face reality....consuming alcohol is not a crime. Government has decided that when you turn 21, you're suddenly mature enough to drink alcohol. When you're 20 yrs and 355 days old, it's illegal, but the next day it's A-OK. Give me a break. If it is believed that people under 21 are not mature enough to decide how to use alcohol, then why ruin a person's future career because he/she drank alcohol under 21? The government and society has already determined that these people are incapable of making the proper decision. It's obvious that there has to be some interpretation to the matter. Judge the man that is interviewing today, not the boy who is sneaking a couple beers with his friends behind his dad's shed.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb3189 View Post
    I have been in a lot of legal trouble as a juvenile in the state of Ohio. I have numerous misdemeanor charges and two 5th degree felony charges as a juvenile

I also have smoked marijuana after my 18th birthday, leaving my last date of use at about a month ago.

My numerous misdemeanors are things like criminal damaging, trespassing, possession of drug paraphernalia, etc.

My two 5th degree felonies are receiving stolen property and counterfeiting.

I am also on juvenile probation still even though I just became an adult.
    Nevermind. Your two minor in possessions are nothing compared to the rest of your record. Are you sure arson isn't on your record somewhere as well?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

With your CRIMINAL record, as you've stated in other forums, I think you're wasting your time trying to be a firefighter. You got bigger problems you should be addressing!!!

Permanently Removed

I have had this discussion many times before- Why should we give you a job while others keep clean and straight?

Its a numbers game and now you want to rise to the top? Just curious, what should we/I tell the other applicants with no convictions on their records?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I have had this discussion many times before- Why should we give you a job while others keep clean and straight?

Its a numbers game and now you want to rise to the top? Just curious, what should we/I tell the other applicants with no convictions on their records?
    The guy who started this thread is a total liar. He's just been making this stuff up to try and yank our chains. Don't fall for it. I, for one, don't buy a word of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Don't waste Fire Service Time!

JohnnyB;

These forums are for legit peeps that want the advice of carreer firefighters on the how=to's of obtaining employment----not multiple time violators like yourself.

SCSmith---you should be commended for recalling this Bozo wanna-be and setting the record straight on this guy! I for one---don't LIKE past criminal or DUI/DWI records----and they start out LOW on my radar the minute they show up for the interview.

So, long & short of telling you off----go be a vollie in some small town that doesn't worry about guys like you entering homes and businesses without having to babysit your dumbass! We have lives to save and property to protect---I'm not about to go get my Red Cross Babysitter Certification as well!!!

IAFF 2612

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IAFF2612 View Post
    JohnnyB;

These forums are for legit peeps that want the advice of carreer firefighters on the how=to's of obtaining employment----not multiple time violators like yourself.

SCSmith---you should be commended for recalling this Bozo wanna-be and setting the record straight on this guy! I for one---don't LIKE past criminal or DUI/DWI records----and they start out LOW on my radar the minute they show up for the interview.

So, long & short of telling you off----go be a vollie in some small town that doesn't worry about guys like you entering homes and businesses without having to babysit your dumbass! We have lives to save and property to protect---I'm not about to go get my Red Cross Babysitter Certification as well!!!

IAFF 2612
    Whilst I agree in principle with virtually everything you have said--you do realise that you have just "Rarked" up every decent,honest and hard working vollie? I have had nothing to do with vollies except the AFS in 1962/65 --I was a career fireman in the LFB.I am as you may gather from my info now residing in NZ--my property is protected by vollies(one pump station 2 kliks away)--nearest "paid" station 16 kliks away--so maybe a apology may be in order? Or at least a correction in your post?
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

IAFF 2612
    Someday, I'm sure this will come back to haunt you.

Forum Member

I have 3 points on my dmv record. I believe they come off after three years which would be next year. I got two points on one ticket for going 90+ in a 65. Is this going to be a big deal as far as getting hired as a paid call?
    Last edited by InTheBlood; 12-17-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs down Well I guess it worked

Jhonnyb .....sends out this enane question and like marmots we all jump on him. He states things that rile us and we say things that should not have been said. He then sits back and LOL's at what we say. People wake up and quit being quick to judge. Let the people who need (honest) help get it and let the "Troll's" go on their way.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Thanks Jay – you're the only person who understood what I was talking about. johnnyb3189 is a troll, plain and simple. He baited the hook and everyone bit, even after I explained it to them...TWICE!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by IAFF2612 View Post
    So, long & short of telling you off----go be a vollie in some small town that doesn't worry about guys like you entering homes and businesses without having to babysit your dumbass! IAFF 2612
    Thanks, encourage some idiot like this to go to a VFD where I, as chief, have to waste my time and money ensuring that he doesn't enter the ranks of the department.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Thanks, encourage some idiot like this to go to a VFD where I, as chief, have to waste my time and money ensuring that he doesn't enter the ranks of the department.
    BoxAlarm, even though I commend you and the other people for your reactions to the crappy sentiment that IAFF2612 made towards volunteer firefighters, you're all missing the point. The only reason I didn't respond to what IAFF2612 said myself is because the person who started this thread is sitting back and laughing his *** off at you guys just like JayDudley told us. johnnyb3189 is making up stories about getting tickets, misdemeanors, and felonies and still wanting to be a firefighter to get the people who read his thread all riled up. I don't mean to sound condescending, but do you guys get it now? Everything johnnyb3189 said is a lie intended solely to get a reaction out of all of you. He doesn't want help at all. All this guy want to do is push your buttons, and it's working. He just gets his kicks when you guys react to his made up scenarios. I wouldn't recommend feeding his sick desire to toy with people any longer. Please help those who are sincerely looking for help to obtain careers as a firefighter, not con artists who get pleasure out of hoaxing all of you into responding to his made up tales.
    Last edited by SCSmith; 12-17-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by SCSmith View Post
    BoxAlarm, even though I commend you and the other people for your reactions to the crappy sentiment that IAFF2612 made towards volunteer firefighters, you're all missing the point.
    Honestly, I thought about the whole thread before I posted this, even with the "lies" posed by the OP. However, my response was more of a general statement by a career guy taking a dig at the volunteer fire service in general.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information