Forum Member

Default Help me get my job guaranteed! please

I am really stressed right now, and my recruiter wants me to go to meps on Monday. The only thing is he says I cannot get a guaranteed FF job, and I am pretty lucky to be getting in period (which is true). I have a DUI, dropped out of schoo,l and some other stuff that needs waivers (I do have college though). He says because of my above average asvab score I will probably get the waivers.

What should I do?, go to meps on Monday and demand a FF slot, or get it before I go? I'm willing to wait a year, I don't care. This is my life we are talking about here. Any help, or experience would be awesome. Thanks.

Forum Member

If you're willing to wait... accept nothing but guaranteed ff slot before you go to meps.

Forum Member

Have you done this? I'm afraid that they will tell me to take a hike, and I wont be able to go back to meps for a long time or something.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hornedfrog2000 View Post
    Have you done this? I'm afraid that they will tell me to take a hike, and I wont be able to go back to meps for a long time or something.

The recruiter is NOT doing you any favors. If you only want FF, then agree only to that job. If you go "open general", then you will be doing four years in the AF (which is not a bad thing) in a job that you may not like. Hell, you may not like AF FF. There are some in right now that don't like the job. The bottom line is........don't let the recruiter scare you (that is how they get their quota's). If you want to serve your country, join the AF. If you want to serve your country as an AF FF, then stick to your guns.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Worldwide Menace

Make sure you tell the recruiter you will go nowhere unless you have 3E7X1 in writing.. that includes MEPS. They cannot make you go anywhere.

-Damien

Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. Have any of you actually done this? I have heard they can make you sign a paper saying you aren't going to meps to job shop, but are there to swear in, and join the AF.

So the basic consesus is that I should get my job guaranteed from the recruiter first? Even though I have read he really doesn't know for sure what jobs are available? If that is the case I will do it, but I don't want to burn any bridges...He wants me to go on Monday... Thanks for the help. Oh, I was kind of leaning towards going to meps, and basically saying I want fire protection, and if you don't have it open stick me on the Q&W list, and I will be waiting...Think that will work?
    Last edited by hornedfrog2000; 12-14-2007 at 01:15 AM.

Forum Member

nobody can make you do anything, when i went to meps i fed them a lot of bs just to get info on school dates, they can't make you do anything, i ended up walking out and having to take my paperwork out of their hands, you might **** some people off but they can't make you do anything (that was with the army) i eventually persued a spot in the air national guard, much better option imo

MembersZone Subscriber

Im a recruiter for the Army National Guard. And ill tell you this right now, dont sign anything unless its in your contract and its everything that you want. Thats the biggest mistake people make when enlisting. They figure they can change their jobs whenever they want, and thats not the case. If its not in your contract, walk out and let them know you wont be coming back unless FF is in your contract.

Truckie

Let me play devils advocate; with a dui, dropping out of school, and other incidents that need waivers, why would the Air Force guarantee anything? Especially when they have absolutely no problem filling the billets with personnel with out all the baggage?
    I can understand your wanting it in writing and your desire, but don't loose track of the big picture. Good Luck.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Before you reply to this thread please read this one, http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=96603

Thread Information