Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Chief who doesn't care!!!

Hey fellow brothers,

I am a career firefighter for the city of spencer which is located in oklahoma!! recently we had a pretty big ice storm and well everyone in our city has lost power!! Including the fire department! we have an old forestry generator that hasnt been started in about 5 years!! And ironically a few of the fellow fire fighters and I brought it up to the chief and he merely shrugged it off. We as you may know we ended up losing power and had no back up generator. wat my question is how would be a good way to bring it up to the chief about possibly getting a new generator so this does not happen again!! By the way forgot to add we had to use the stover burners as heat!! I myself feel that this is a bit ridiculus that they want us to protect the city but they wont even properly equip us! Anyways some feed back would be great and all suggestions would be wonderful thanks.

A new generator wont do you any good if you dont maintain it. It will be the same way in 5 years. Your problems run deeper than needing a new generator.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I hope you find a solution to your problem!!! It all sounds very interesting!!!

Seriously, stop with the shouting. You have a legitimate question to ask, just ask it. It sounds more like you're just ******ed off.

And guess what, you don't start a generator for 5 years, no, it won't start when you need it. You buy a new one and let it sit for 5 years, it won't start, guaranteed.

I don't know the financial situation in your department (I kind of get the impression that you don't, either), but instead of insisting on a new generator, how about getting someone to repair the one you've got? Then, perhaps more importantly, put it on a maintenance schedule so it gets checked and started regularly. That's a hard enough thing to do for a volunteer department, but you said you're career, which means, I assume, that there's someone at the station on duty on some kind of regular basis? Get the generator fixed and then make sure it's put on a schedule so it doesn't just sit there and go to waste.

When you start your thread with the title "Chief who doesn't care!!!" it sounds more like bellyaching than looking for a solution. Generators are expensive. Money is a finite commodity. Just because you think something is needed doesn't mean there is money for it. Or maybe it just hasn't been a high priority in the past because you haven't had a massive power outage like this. Maybe it will become a priority now.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 12-15-2007 at 10:44 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frmboybuck View Post
    A new generator wont do you any good if you dont maintain it. It will be the same way in 5 years. Your problems run deeper than needing a new generator.
    Very true. Our department policy is to check the back-up generator every Tuesday. Any problems are reported and fixed. We experienced an ice storm a few years ago and the station I was assigned to ran for seven days on a back-up generator.

A stockpile of kerosene heaters (one or two per station - one for living area and one for the bay) is also a good idea. Provided they are also taken care of and properly used.

We do "watch" every week. Everything in our station and trucks gets checked to make sure it is in operating order. All small engines get ran for 15 minutes.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool One Way to Address It.....

I agree with many of the comments made here. You do need to maintain your equipment, ours gets ran every Friday. As a Career Engineer I assume responsibility for all the equipment on my Engine as well as around my Station.
    One way to address it to the Chief would be do all the footwork for them. Get quotes, check online, make phone calls, etc. Then check your budget and see where you can suggest the monies come from.

Also remember that an effective Leader will accept responsibility to provide an environment that will promote productivity. I am not bad-mouthing your Chief, just sheading another point of view on the situation. It almost seems like you may be "belly achin'" but that's ok..... as long as it's done in the house and done in a professional manner. We all will "belly ache" some time in our lives.

Remember, you're either part of the problem..... Or you're part of the solution. You need to decide which you want to be.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Default i really appreciate it guys

hey i just wanted to say sorry! at the time i wrote this thread i was still alittle botherd by the whole situation! i just have expectations as what a chief should do or try to do! just a little note we do check every check every truck day, i have only worked there for a bout 9 months and didn't even know we had a generator till recently! but like i said i really appreciate your guys feedback I didn't mean to sound stuck up or anything just alittle frustrated and annoyed!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Your frustration is warranted, however, I would not encourage you to post the name of your department on a public forum. You may be right in what you said, but don't use your department's name in a public forum.

If I were the Chief and read about one of my probationary firefighters spouting off in a national forum, you would be in my office in a hurry. I encourage you to edit your original post.

Lastly, the change starts with YOU. Take it upon yourself to maintain and perform weekly checks on the generator. You not knowing about a valuable piece of equipment after being there for 9 months doesn't look good for you. As the probationary firefighter, YOU should be opening doors and be familiar with everything on the premesis.

Good luck and stay safe,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

This reminds of me of something I read..

The "body's"
    "Somebody" stated that something needed to be done.
    "Anybody" could have done it.
    "Nobody" did it.
    "Everybody" suffered because of it.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information