MembersZone Subscriber

Default February '08 Recruit Class

Anyone else going to the February class? I just found out I'm going. Any info would be great from people who have been there/are there.

Sean

MembersZone Subscriber

Sean which dept. is sending you?

MembersZone Subscriber

Newington Fire is sponsoring me

Forum Member

You mean Hartford County Firefighter I course?

MembersZone Subscriber

nah the recruit program. It's weird for a volly to go to it but I get my GI Benefits if I go so why the hell not?

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't give you specific info on Connecticut's academy. I have been through two others and found the hard work was well worth it in the end. You'll meet people from all over the state and some of these classmates will be friends for a lifetime. Pay attention, work hard, you'll be fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spisc85 View Post
    nah the recruit program. It's weird for a volly to go to it but I get my GI Benefits if I go so why the hell not?
    Thats great. Enjoy the class.

Forum Member

I was in class 39 we had 2 volly's in there by the time class was over one was offered a job. What a good time. Lots of hard work running and studying. I had a good time and learned alot. Instructors are first class up there you can tell they really care about teaching and not just presenting material and testing you on it. You will have a good time and make many friends.
    Last edited by RBohan2; 12-16-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Forum Member

Anyone else going to the February class? I just found out I'm going. Any info would be great from people who have been there/are there.

Sean
    What?. You mean I can come to the great town of CT and go to the academy of ct and be a real fireman without being hired somewhere? I asked this question months ago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RBohan2 View Post
    I was in class 39 we had 2 volly's in there by the time class was over one was offered a job. What a good time. Lots of hard work running and studying. I had a good time and learned alot. Instructors are first class up there you can tell they really care about teaching and not just presenting material and testing you on it. You will have a good time and make many friends.
    Bohan I heard you were the biggest BEATER at the academy.

Whatever Bohan was at the academy, he's been a nice black cloud since he showed up on the line.

Three months on the line and we've caught 4 or 5 good jobs on our shift.

Forum Member

I hope Newington VOLUNTEER Fire Department isn't paying 5 grand to send you. That would be a huge waste of money.

MembersZone Subscriber

No they aren't, I'm paying for it.

Forum Member

Last edited by PapaGanoush; 12-21-2007 at 10:01 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek801 View Post
    Whatever Bohan was at the academy, he's been a nice black cloud since he showed up on the line.

Three months on the line and we've caught 4 or 5 good jobs on our shift.
    His he BOXERS OR BRIEFS?

So what are you saying, he's good with matches?
    Last edited by crankshaft; 12-17-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Forum Member

I think puting yourself through the academy is a great idea. It will make you more marketable in the job market. It is as simple as you are cheaper to hire!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
    His he BOXERS OR BRIEFS?

So what are you saying, he's good with matches?

I wear Boxers don't know why your intrested though kinda weird
    Last edited by RBohan2; 12-18-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Forum Member

seems like someones hit a nerve

MembersZone Subscriber

Newington Fire is sponsoring me
    I believe you are going to the hartford county Fire 1 not the recruit class. NVFD does not take place in recruit classes. What company are you a member of?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with Co. 1 but I am going to the recruit fire at the fire academy. On my own dollar though.

Forum Member

What a great way to waste $5000 and 14 weeks of your time. Go take an EMT class or HAZ MAT class or better yet, get some college education.

Taking the Recruit class on your own will not make you any more likely to get hired on a career department and even if you are hired the day after you graduate from your recruit class your new career department will send you back to another class on their dollar.

Any of the instructors will tell you about plenty of people that have been through two recruit classes within 1 or 2 years because they've changed departments.

Seriously. Consider a better way to spend your time and money.

Forum Member

If you have the money and the time why not. The only dept that I know of that will send you back to the academy is Milford, you know there Class 1 right? I'm sure there are more but Danbury, Norwalk, Hamden, Bristol, Westport, Wallingford, Meriden, West Hartford, Farmington, West Haven and North Haven I believe will all take your cert from the academy and not send you back. So it could be worth it if you time it right. Some have time limits, Danbury is three years, Norwalk is two I think.

Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford all run their own academy so nothing matters there. Good luck and have fun.

Forum Member

I strongly dissagree with Turk! I think the recruit class is a great way to accomplish all the certs you get in 14 short weeks. It's the most efficiant training you will ever experience in the fire service. Your peers will be serious professional recruits who take this job very seriously! They will be a very positive roll in your experience and job hunt. The instructors are the states top shelf! They are not part-time week end warrior instructors you some times get in the regional schools. That being said the recruit program does not have any full time instructors but most of them are career guys from the job. Their instruction is valuable. No where else can you go and get the amount of education in 14 weeks - even college! Does that mean you shouldn't go to college? No! If you are serious about getting hired you should attend college and an EMT class at the least. The recruit cert in your back pocket is the single most valuable thing you could bring to a chiefs interview! Hands down! Even if they send you again it proves you attended on your own ambition and completed it. The second time around will be just as fun as the first except you will have all the homework done already! Is it expensive? Hell yeh! Is it worth it? If your serious about geting the job it is. Does it garauntee you the job? NO!!!! But it sure helps!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber

Alright here is why I'm taking the recruit program now:

1. Just got off of Active Duty
    2. Can't spare weekends just to do Fire 1 because of a year long NG commitment I have.
    3. I just finished my first semester of college
    4. I am in an EMT class that finished right before the Academy starts.
    5. 14 Weeks is a semester so I still get my VA benefits, (State schools are free to vets in CT so I'm not worried about spending money on college)
    6. I want a lot of training, its one of the big things the Army taught me is training is second only to experience.

So what do you say we stop telling me how much of a waste of money and time this is??

Forum Member

I think it's great that your doing this. obviously your serious about the fire service and are going to take all the classes anyway so why not get most of it all done in one shot. Good luck on getting info on the program from someone recent.

Thread Information