Forum Member

Default Cal Fire (CDF) has many Captains slots

Hey everyone,

My friend works for CDF and has informed me that CDF has roughly 465 openings for Captain. This does not include the additional openings that will be created when the next pool of guys retire out soon. Anyways, I was told that 398 applied and only 315 showed up to interview for the jobs. Basically there are more openings then test takers. If you are interested, I will paste the quals below. So you know the test is currently closed, but I was told it will open again soon. Salary range is about 60k to 84k based on a 72 (3/4).

Hope this helps someone who wants to promote into a great dept.

Qualifying experience may be combined on a proportionate basis if the requirements stated include more
    than one pattern and are distinguished as “Either” I, “Or” II, “Or” III, etc. For example, candidates
    possessing qualifying experience amounting to 50% of the required time of Pattern I, and additional
    experience amounting to 50% of the required time of Pattern II, may be admitted to the examination as
    meeting 100% of the overall experience requirement.
    Possession of a valid driver license of the appropriate class issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
    (Applicants who do not possess the license will be admitted to the examination but must secure the
    license prior to appointment.)
    and
    “Either” I
    Experience: Thirty-six months of full-time experience in the California state service performing the duties
    of a Fire Apparatus Engineer or Fire Apparatus Engineer (Paramedic) and successful completion of the
    corresponding California Fire Fighter Joint Apprenticeship Committee Program. (Applicants who are
    within six months of satisfying the experience requirement will be admitted to the examination but must
    successfully complete the apprenticeship program before appointment.). or
    Experience: Thirty-six months of full-time experience in the California state service performing the duties
    of a Fire Apparatus Engineer with an appointment to the class prior to the initiation of the California Fire
    Fighter Joint Apprenticeship Committee Program on July 1, 1983. or
    Experience: Applicants who gained employment with the California Department of Forestry and Fire
    Protection by Board Resolution may compete if they have thirty-six months of full-time experience as a
    Fire Apparatus Engineer or Fire Apparatus Engineer (Paramedic) but must successfully complete the
    apprenticeship program before appointment or receive SubJAC certification of journey level status.
    [Experience with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection may be combined with prior
    Fire Apparatus Engineer or Fire Apparatus Engineer (Paramedic) experience to meet this requirement.]
    (Applicants who are within six months of satisfying the experience requirement will be admitted to the
    examination but must successfully complete the apprenticeship program before appointment or receive
    SubJAC certification of journey level status.)
    “Or” II
    Experience: Forty-eight months of full-time experience in the California state service performing the
    duties of a Fire Apparatus Engineer or Fire Apparatus Engineer (Paramedic). (Applicants who are within
    six months of satisfying the experience requirement will be admitted to the examination but must complete
    the experience requirement prior to appointment.)
    “Or” III
    Experience: Twenty-four months of experience as a full-time paid Company Officer leading an engine
    company (or equivalent) at a level of responsibility equivalent to that of a Fire Captain. (Applicants who
    are within six months of satisfying the experience requirement will be admitted to the examination but
    must complete the experience requirement prior to appointment.)
    (Continued on next page)
    Fire Captain (Cont’d.)
    MINIMUM
    QUALIFICATIONS (cont.)
    “Or” IV
    Experience: Forty-eight months of experience as a full-time paid employee of a fire department
    supervising or leading a hand crew, such as an Incident Command System Type I or II Crew, at a level of
    responsibility equivalent to that of a Fire Captain. (Applicants who are within six months of satisfying the
    experience requirement will be admitted to the examination but must complete the experience
    requirement prior to appointment.)

Permanently Removed

Kinda curious why youre posting this information here now? Cal Fire wont be hiring from the outside anytime soon. The interviews were just done.

FYI- Most of the new hires will not be going to stations right away. Some will go to the Camp Crews.

Captain Bou, Cal Fire/CDF
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-15-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Kinda curious why youre posting this information here now? Cal Fire wont be hiring from the outside anytime soon. The interviews were just done.

FYI- Most of the new hires will not be going to stations right away. Some will go to the Camp Crews.

Captain Bou, Cal Fire/CDF
    What county do you work in?

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by engineer2000 View Post
    What county do you work in?

1 of the 58.

Forum Member

I was told from CDF firefighters that there are more Captains openings then test takers and that the position will become open continuous. I was also told that current CDF Engineers have to complete something like 3 years before they can test for Captain.

Forum Member

Engineer 2000

I recieved my letter for FF2 in either Butte, San Mateo or Napa. I was told San Mateo/Santa Cruz was an excellent CDF unit to work for.

Any thoughts or info?

Thanks and stay safe

Thread Information