Forum Member

Unhappy I just walked away from AF...

They are not willing to give me a guarantee now. The recruiter had his pushy friend call me, and said if I don't call them back by 8:00pm cst, I will not be eligible for the AF ever again. All I want is to be a guaranteed Firefighter, and I think I might not win on this...

I will start looking into other branches who say they can guarantee it, and be more flexible to my needs. I know I can cross train in the Air Force after 3 years, but I don't want to be slicing potatos for the next 3 years either. Any help would be great. Thanks, James.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

The recruiter is full of $hit!!! They may not be able to guarantee a specfic job, but that doesn't preclude you from the USAF. Call him and ask for his supervisor's name and phone number. Let him know you wish to file a complaint or get a second opinion.

Forum Member

I'm really feeling pretty low right now, and I guess thats what they were trying to make me feel like...the bad guy.

I have been wanting to do this for about 3 years now. It feels like a dream I might not be able to get, but I will look into getting his commanders number if that is the case.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

It could be the career field if full right now but you can enter "delayed enlistment" for up to a year waiting for a slot. The recruiter is still a dickhe@d though. Send me an email or private message.

Forum Member

It wont let me send private messages apparently.

Never knew sticking to my guns could feel so bad. I kept saying I wouldn't sign anything with open general on it, and hes like I don't know what to say to get you to understand. He said to me multiple times that I would get it in basic when I signed up for open general, and I would say no... but back in forth.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Do a search for Air Force Recruiting Service. It should have the commanders address there.
    Last edited by davjohnson; 12-27-2007 at 05:51 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hornedfrog2000 View Post
    They are not willing to give me a guarantee now. The recruiter had his pushy friend call me, and said if I don't call them back by 8:00pm cst, I will not be eligible for the AF ever again. All I want is to be a guaranteed Firefighter, and I think I might not win on this...

I will start looking into other branches who say they can guarantee it, and be more flexible to my needs. I know I can cross train in the Air Force after 3 years, but I don't want to be slicing potatos for the next 3 years either. Any help would be great. Thanks, James.
    I applaud you for not giving in and not enlisting for the sake of enlisting. That is a very smart move on your part.

As someone currently in at the behest of the Govt, I just want to stress something. The recruiter does have a job. Your military goals and wishes did not fit into what the Air Force needs right now. It might not fit into what any branch needs. The military is not very flexible to one individuals needs. For example, currently in the Navy, if you are deemed by a Medical Doctor unsuitable for worldwide deploy ability an administrative separation message is immediately issued by the Bureau of Naval Personnel. Yes, as I am finding out the hard way, if you get hurt on active duty in the Navy right now, you can find yourself out of a job within 90 days. It doesn't matter if you have 1 year in, or 17..... The moral? Don't expect them to be too flexible to your needs. I have NO love loss for recruiters, but in the current climate they have a very tough job filling mission critical billets. They would rather enlist someone willing to fulfill that mission critical billet, than be flexible to one person.

I know it will not make not getting what you wanted that much enjoyable or easy to swallow, but as Spock once said, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."
    Last edited by DocVBFDE14; 12-15-2007 at 10:30 PM.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

I am sorry to here about your situation. All I can say is to keep trying to get what you want, and don't take no for an answer. I don't know much about the AF, because I am an active duty FF for the Army. I had a similar situation a little over a year ago when I was stopped loses in Iraq as a fueler and I told them I wanted to be a 21M (firefighter) . Of course, they said No!!! The MOS was full and they were getting rid of the MOS. I did some research and found out they weren't full at the time and the Army was making new firefighting detachments. So after it seem like I was going to be getting out of the Army, they told me that I had a school seat at Goodfellow and I was going to be re-classed to a FF. Just keep stopping by the recruiter every so often and keep a bug in his ear or see another recruiter, maybe he will be more helpful. Just hang in there if that is really what you want to do.

Forum Member

He knows what I want, and knows my number. That "you gotta want to be part of the Air Force" **** might work with a 17 year old kid, but not me. Where did they take that from anyway?, the Marines? He kept saying you didn't really just want to join for the firefighting did you...Yeah, I did.

Forum Member

Each branch has a firefighter equivelant. You probablly won't get the IFSAC certifications to take with you, but you can still do the job and each job's experience will help out.

The thing to remember is that if one wants to use the military for experience as a firefighter to get on a dept somewhere, your military experience really doesn't matter. Vet points is vet points and a grunt in the infantry has the same shot of being a firefighter as an Air Force firefighter. One can serve their country, use the GI Bill for schooling, get a fire protection degree and have a damn good shot of becoming a career firefighter as one who did the job in the service.

Education, degrees and certifications are the components to get hired, not what your military MOS was. Sure it helps to get those certs while in the service, but it really isn't critical. Just as many or more firefighters today come from tech schools than from the military and contrary to recruiters say, the possibility of one walking out of the service and onto a fire dept is quite low.

My advice would be if you want to be a firefighter, look at other options than just AF. Each branch has some type of FF, but the military experience isn't imperative as it once was. You could find a military job you may have some intrest in, other than FF, and still take college courses while in and go to school after your enlistment and still have a great shot at being career FF. Then you can use the knowledge you learned while serving to another job or hobby. Basically not being guaranteed AF FF is not the end of things. It is a great program, but not the only program.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for helping me stick to my guns. I feel better about it now, and will still pursue a life in the military, and Firefighting! Thank you, and I will let you know what happens to me, James.

Permanently Removed

Dude- Screw them. Dont let someone bring you down over something pity like that.

Besides, get an education and become a better paid, better trained civilian Firefighter with a city or county.

MembersZone Subscriber

The person who does the pushing is the one in the pickle.

No way did you make yourself permanently out of the pool for the AF overnight unless you suddenly became a felon.

You made the right move. Don't lose a second of sleep over it.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Each branch has a firefighter equivelant. You probablly won't get the IFSAC certifications to take with you, but you can still do the job and each job's experience will help out.
    This is true... Each branch has their own version of a firefighter.. you may not sit around waiting for calls, but each branch sends some of their people to DoD Fire Academy. Air Force, Navy (ABH rate), Marine Corps (7051 NEC) and Army (21M). Each member who graduates Fire Academy comes out with IFSAC certs that they can use in most states.

The thing to remember is that if one wants to use the military for experience as a firefighter to get on a dept somewhere, your military experience really doesn't matter. Vet points is vet points and a grunt in the infantry has the same shot of being a firefighter as an Air Force firefighter. One can serve their country, use the GI Bill for schooling, get a fire protection degree and have a damn good shot of becoming a career firefighter as one who did the job in the service. this is also very true.. it all comes down to how well you present yourself as a candidate.

Education, degrees and certifications are the components to get hired, not what your military MOS was. Sure it helps to get those certs while in the service, but it really isn't critical. Just as many or more firefighters today come from tech schools than from the military and contrary to recruiters say, the possibility of one walking out of the service and onto a fire dept is quite low. also very true

My advice would be if you want to be a firefighter, look at other options than just AF. Each branch has some type of FF, but the military experience isn't imperative as it once was. You could find a military job you may have some intrest in, other than FF, and still take college courses while in and go to school after your enlistment and still have a great shot at being career FF. Then you can use the knowledge you learned while serving to another job or hobby. Basically not being guaranteed AF FF is not the end of things. It is a great program, but not the only program.
    (My responses are in red) You still have many options and can do what i did... Join guard and get on with a vollie department. I may not get too much experience as military, but i'm keeping up experience as a volunteer firefighter.

-Damien

Forum Member

Talking Following the thread

Look at the Air Force Reserve Units or Air Guard Units for FF training.

Permanently Removed

Go to school, get your AS/AA degree in Fire Science/Tech.

Forum Member

Just do what i did and go Reserve. You have to go thru Basic Training, then 13 weeks of fire school. You get out of the fire academy with FF I&II, HazMat Operations, and Airport FF, all of which are IFSAC certificates. Then once you get to your reserve unit, you will do all of your Driver/Operator certs, then you do you Instuctor, Inspector, and Officer.

Its not a bad deal, let me know if you have any questions.
    Matt

LIEUTENANT
    Covington Fire/Rescue, Texas

U.S.A.F Reserve Firefighter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Go to school, get your AS/AA degree in Fire Science/Tech.
    I'm one class away from having my associates of applied science degree. I just don't have the money for the last class...I'll get it done though.

Forum Member

He knows what I want, and knows my number. That "you gotta want to be part of the Air Force" **** might work with a 17 year old kid, but not me. Where did they take that from anyway?, the Marines? He kept saying you didn't really just want to join for the firefighting did you...Yeah, I did.
    If you were joining just for the firefighting you really should not be joining any of the armed services. It is not about playing fireman, it about service to your country. I would say it is about time the Air Force got a pair and started re-emphasising what service to one's country is all about. It is not about a job, an adventure, aiming high for yourself or being all that you can be, it is about service. If they are finally taking a Marine Corps-like stance when it comes to service, good for them.

If you just want to be a firefighter go join a fire department, not the military.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    The person who does the pushing is the one in the pickle.

No way did you make yourself permanently out of the pool for the AF overnight unless you suddenly became a felon.

You made the right move. Don't lose a second of sleep over it.
    It is one thing to let someone know they should be joining for the right reasons, but lieing and saying that not signing up now will preclude someone from joining in the future is border line crimminal and should be reported to the recruiters command be for the guy digs himself a hole of lies that really can lead him to trouble.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I'm one class away from having my associates of applied science degree. I just don't have the money for the last class...I'll get it done though.
    You don't have the money for ONE freaking class at a community college? You have to be freaking kidding us! Go shovel some snow or work retail during this great holiday season! Coming up with a few hundred bucks when it is all you need to finish should be the most simple part of the whole process, just takes a teany tiny bit of sacrifice on your part. Crap live in your car for a month and use the rent saved for tuition if that is what it takes!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Permanently Removed

Ummm...so? One class away from your degree? Beg, borrow or get a loan. Or better yet, get a credit card and put the class on there.

And you'll be building your credit history at the same time!

Permanently Removed

Geeez? How much is it? I might just send it to you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    You don't have the money for ONE freaking class at a community college? You have to be freaking kidding us! Go shovel some snow or work retail during this great holiday season! Coming up with a few hundred bucks when it is all you need to finish should be the most simple part of the whole process, just takes a teany tiny bit of sacrifice on your part. Crap live in your car for a month and use the rent saved for tuition if that is what it takes!
    I said I would get it done...

It is about 500-600$ you can send me money if you really want, but I figured I was just going to take it when I got to the AF, but thats not going to happen.

Forum Member

Honestly, if I was to join the military to serve my country as you put it, I would join the marine infantry. Thing is though, I don't really know if I believe what is going on in the middle east right now, and don't want to be involved.

I think I can serve my country, and still be able to get what I want also. I hate that serve your country bs...usually comes from the people who were suckered into a stupid career, or open career field in the military, and say that to bandage their own egos. If a person wants to blindly join the military to serve their country thats cool, but I normally think about things that will effect my life for the next 4 years.

Oh, and if it was so selfish to be in a certain job field why does almost every other branch say they can guarantee you the job you want? They tried telling me nobody could do that, but call a Navy, Marine, Army, or guard recruiter, and see what they say, or Google it. That isn't saying that they wont move you once you're in something like the army, but they will still train you for the job you were guaranteed
    Last edited by hornedfrog2000; 12-17-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Forum Member

As some others have pointed out, ANG/AFRC are great options. I did my last 17 years in the Reserve as a Firefighter, it was great.

Thread Information