Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Life Insurance Question

Hello all, I am about to begin a full-time position at a major department in the Pacific Northwest and have a life insurance question. I currently have a very healthy independent life insurance plan that will more than take care of my wife and children in the event that something happens to me. Does anyone know if my insurance company can drop me for going into a "high risk" occupation? I currently pay ~$55/month on a 20 year plan...33 years old and healthy as a horse. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with your life insurance after getting hired into the fire services? I would be ok with my premiums doubling...just to have peace of mind that my family will be comfortable. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

91Kilo

I too have a term life policy. When I toojk it out, they didn't have any questions about me be a firefighter. They did ask if I was a licensed pilot, though.

I am presently a student pilot.. and I can tell you I feel safer in the air than I do on the fireground!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

My agent told me that the only emergency service profession that has an "uprgraded risk" read cost is people that are involved in aeromedical transport.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input. Now that I think about it...I can remember getting asked by my agent if I was a pilot or was planning on becoming a pilot.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Life Insurance

Try American Life Insurance. They are an all union company.

Quote Originally Posted by 91Kilo View Post
    Hello all, I am about to begin a full-time position at a major department in the Pacific Northwest and have a life insurance question. I currently have a very healthy independent life insurance plan that will more than take care of my wife and children in the event that something happens to me. Does anyone know if my insurance company can drop me for going into a "high risk" occupation? I currently pay ~$55/month on a 20 year plan...33 years old and healthy as a horse. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with your life insurance after getting hired into the fire services? I would be ok with my premiums doubling...just to have peace of mind that my family will be comfortable. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

91Kilo
    It depends on the policy and the laws in your state. Mine did not change.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I just had a brand new policy written about a month or so ago and being a firefighter had no effect that I'm aware of regarding my rate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Thanks for the input!

Thanks guys...FYI, I found out that through my insurance company (West Coast Life) there is no risk premium for being a firefighter. So I increased my term to extend out through the end of my expected retirement date (30 years).

Also, FYI...they said that they understand that people's lives change, so if I want to become a pilot at a later date it will not affect my plan or my premiums because they are already purchased/evaluated and in place, however; it is a different story and will get priced into your premium if you are a pilot before purchasing a plan.

Also, FYI...my policy is $75/month, 30 year term, $1 million payout. I'm 33 with elevated (not high) cholesterol levels. Otherwise A+ healthy.

This helps me to sleep at night knowing my family will be ok if something crazy happens to me at work or on the road or anywhere for that matter.

Thanks again and best of luck to all!

Quote Originally Posted by 91Kilo View Post
    Hello all, I am about to begin a full-time position at a major department in the Pacific Northwest
    Where are you getting on 91?

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

sfd1992,

I'm getting a shot at SFD's recruit school in February. A lot of hard work is finally coming to fruition! I can't begin to tell you how excited and anxious I am to get started.

Do you have any advice for a green recruit with no fire service experience? I would love to get a jump on studying anything I can get my hands on. Maybe we could chat over coffee sometime? Thanks in advance!

91..activate your PM's.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a term policy that I got years ago before I began Firefighting. I just got another policy to supplement that one from the same company and inquired about the new job and they said it was not an issue and I am still covered.

Thread Information