Thread: Riding out

Forum Member

Smile Riding out

Hey guys. I just got checked off and I might be doing my first rideout on Christmas Eve. I was just wondering if yall got any tips?

Forum Member

All I can try to give you, is keep your eyes and ears open. Ask questions when the time is right i.e. not in the middle of a medical call or something. Bring a pad of paper with you to write down any questions you may forgot or to take down any important info. Best of luck and enjoy your time.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

MOST IMPORTANTLY

BRING DONUTS

Seriously, grab a dozen donuts on your way to the station. It will pay off.

*Make sure you are in uniform and it is clean and ironed.
    *Listen to pretty much every little thing that they crew has to say.
    *Unless you know them very well and they know your skill level before hand, clear up any misconceptions about your duties BEFORE you get a call.
    *Some places allow riders to do more than others, just make sure that you are not going to get yourself or the crew in trouble
    *Keep safety in mind at all times
    *When something needs to be done, BE THE FIRST ONE TO JUMP OUT OF YOUR CHAIR!
    *Ask questions.
    *If you don't know something, ask. The only stupid question is the one not asked.
    *When you are pulling up on scene of a call, ask the officer if he wants to get out of the truck right then or to hold tight. And when you are allowed to exit the vehicle, ask what they need you to grab or what they need help with.

And have fun!

My first call on a ride along was a rollover MVA w/ 2 trapped on the Interstate. We ended up transporting both pt's in the back of one squad, code 3 to a local trauma center. That made for an interesting day.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Go for it

Well, the others got alot covered, but if your in a part of the country where its cold, DRESS WARM. Also, try to learn new things as well.

Good Luck Man!!

I would bring the search function with me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    HAHAHA not really funny.. This person came and asked a question if your going to be a jerk about him not searching the topic first then dont reply.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Don't forget the doughnuts!!! They are as much a tradition as dalmations. But remember, the bakery may close early due to the holiday. Boxed doughnuts are generally not received well. Since it is Christmas, other baked goods will probably be well received.

Stay away from the kitchen while the chef is cooking, unless you're invited. Set the table and such. They'll let you come in after dinner.

Stick with your mentor and don't pout if you don't get to fight fire. Don't go through the equipment without supervision. Ask good questions.

Don't act like a spoiled kid who knows everything. During your training, you may have learned some things different than the senior/experienced firefighters on shift. It may or may not be a better way for that company. Timing and presentation is everything.

Expect some sort of initiation or hazing, and take it all in fun. Trust your brother firefighters that you will not be injured.

Have a good time and learn, but remember you're the new guy.

Merry Christmas!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    HAHAHA not really funny.. This person came and asked a question if your going to be a jerk about him not searching the topic first then dont reply.
    I laughed a little bit.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

This is the best answer on here...
    Try it... there's at least 3 threads that I can think of off the top of my head.

RFRD and everyone else did a good job so I'm not going to re-iterate anything except for the fact that if something needs to get done (ie washing trucks, washing equipment, truck checks, equipment inspection, a run to the grocery store for food to make breakfast and what not...), BE THE FIRST IN LINE TO DO IT...

And don't forget the donuts...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Wow dude, don't get your panties all in a bunch.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Wow dude, don't get your panties all in a bunch.
    Man don't ya HATE IT when your huggies start ridin up yer ***** crack.

Um......not that I would know what thats like or anything......

Forum Member

Heh, this coming from a guy (kid?? --I'm bein generous, tis the season) who has a whopping 2.5 months on the boards.
    The irony here is that in 2.5 years, he'll be the first one to toss out the "use the search function" line...assuming he even lasts that long around here.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Thanks for the backup guys.

And Andrew,

these -> are there to show you it was a joke. Theres a line in BLSboy's signature that would work well here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Man don't ya HATE IT when your huggies start ridin up yer ***** crack.

Um......not that I would know what thats like or anything......

Admit it dude, you still wear huggies.

I do sometimes.

Ryan

Forum Member

Since im a 3RD rider, I can give you some tips

but just something that I think of...why would you want to ride on Christmas Eve? Spend time with family...but again thats just me

So here we go!

1. SHUT UP (They will tell you this...but just mentioning anyways) what you see on the truck, stays on the truck. HIPAA laws are very strict concerning EMS calls. Dont go to school and tell all your buddies "We got a Chest Pains on a 45 Year Old Male at the Nursing Center on Main Street...The patients name was John Doe...His social security number was 111-22-3333"

2. Bring some food...nothing fancy...donuts...cookies....Christmas Cards never hurt!

3. Follow there instructions.

4. Dont run to the patient if you go on an EMS run. You can help a pt if your a pt.

5. Stand back.Your there to observe. Nothing else. If they are nice they might let you get NIBP etc.

6. Dont act like a 'I know it All'. If you do...they will probably ask a hard question and you wont know it and you'll embarrass yourself.

7. Pen+Paper+Flashlight+Trauma Shears = must

8. Dont. Repeat Dont. Ask questions during a Call unless they ask you.

9. Dont use 'bad' language even if they do.

10. Stay calm. If you get a run dont freak out start talking very fast. Use the brain.

11. Have fun!

Hope you have some good calls! Stay safe...and keep us posted!
    Everythings bigger in Texas

Future FF/EMT-P

Forum Member

I just have some questions/comments...
    Quote Originally Posted by Priority View Post
    2. Bring some food...nothing fancy...donuts...cookies....Christmas Cards never hurt!
    We said that already... 10 times.
    3. Follow there instructions.
    Their, not There. Pet peeve of mine.
    5. Stand back.Your there to observe. Nothing else. If they are nice they might let you get NIBP etc.
    We don't live in Texas... What is NIBP? Don't be lazy, write out the acronym. Makes you look a little bit more professional.
    6. Dont act like a 'I know it All'. If you do...they will probably ask a hard question and you wont know it and you'll embarrass yourself.
    Shouldn't be acting like that in the first place... right?
    7. Pen+Paper+Flashlight+Trauma Shears = must
    Trauma shears= Not a must. You shouldn't have any patient conact. Where's your EMS certificate at? Flashlight... maybe if you ride at night. Otherwise, there's nothing a rider should be doing with a flashlight. You're an observer and sometimes maybe a gopher.
    10. Stay calm. If you get a run dont freak out start talking very fast. Use the brain.
    Some people simply can not help the fact that they get an adrenaline rush when the tones drop... Especially if it's their first-ever run.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Most importantly...pay attention to details and what the FFs that are with you are saying or doing, and if you have any questions ask them when youre back at the station...good luck
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

Forum Member

this goes to priority. Im sorta are spending time with my family because my dad is the engineer on the truck company that im riding on.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by explorer478 View Post
    this goes to priority. Im sorta are spending time with my family because my dad is the engineer on the truck company that im riding on.
    Thats awesome! I hope you get some good calls.

Future FF/EMT-P

Forum Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    We don't live in Texas... What is NIBP?

NIBP = Non Invasive Blood Pressure

Don't be lazy, write out the acronym. Makes you look a little bit more professional.
    Your saying that writing the acronym makes you unprofessional? So when your writing a 3 page pt report your going to write 'Against Medical Advice' when you could just write 'AMA'.

On a pt report...are you going to write ' the patients blood pressure was one hundred over sixty' when you could just write 'pt bp 100/60' ?

Exactly.

Not trying to be 'mean' or anything...but...thats how I learned how to write things.

Future FF/EMT-P

Forum Member

If you just wrote AMA on a report... for all I know you could be talking about Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA). So what you should do is write "Against Medical Advice (AMA)" so that the reader know any future AMA = against medical advice. Just my two pennies.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

NIBP = Non Invasive Blood Pressure

Your saying that writing the acronym makes you unprofessional? So when your writing a 3 page pt report your going to write 'Against Medical Advice' when you could just write 'AMA'.

On a pt report...are you going to write ' the patients blood pressure was one hundred over sixty' when you could just write 'pt bp 100/60' ?

Exactly.

Not trying to be 'mean' or anything...but...thats how I learned how to write things.
    Alls my point was is that all of us don't live in Texas... All of us don't live in the same area... Everyone does things differently... So when speaking acronyms, you should write them out. That goes along with not using 10-codes and that sort of thing...
    And when writing a written report, yes I would write it all out... But that's me and we all tend to do things differently.
    Firefighter/EMT

Welcome back Rf

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=RFxplr326;897869]I just have some questions/comments...

Their, not There. Pet peeve of mine.

There is an adverb and it was correctly used.

Their is an adjective and would be incorrect since you are not describing something possessive.

I know what NIBP stands for also it's on pretty much any Lifepack or Phillips monitor.

Forum Member

Welcome back Rf
    Ha... It's good to be back...
    Firefighter/EMT

Thread Information